Sign in to follow this  
Candle1000

I've Been Offered A Job! But What To Do Now.....? Visa/permit Confusion

Rate this topic

I have been offered a job working in a private school in Turkey as an English teacher. However, I'm finding it almost impossible to work out what visas etc I need, where I can get them etc etc and would really appreciate some help please!My soon-to-be employer has told me what the process is, but I'm not entirely sure that it is correct :S This is what they have said:1) I travel from the UK to Turkey on my tourist visa (which has 75 days remaining) and upon arrival, go to the "foreign nationals bureau" (a local police station??) where I apply for at least a 6 month residency permit and I take with me a job offer letter from the school2) Both the school and I apply for a work permit (from within Turkey)3) The school inform the Ministry of Education of their wish to employ meHowever, this seems far too simple! It is really true?? I've read so many conflicting things online and as soon as I think I understand, I read something that totally contradicts it! :(((((There seem to be residency permits and visas and work permits and visas. What is the difference between these? The website of the Turkish consulate in London mentions only residency visas and work visas, and says that residency visas can be applied for in home country or in Turkey, while work visas are applied for in home country. Most advice on forums mentions permits as well as visas. Do I need to have at least one visa so that when I leave the country after my tourist visa expires, I won't be fined for not having a visa? My soon-to-be employer has said that I only need a residency permit and work permit, once in Turkey.Also, would I be able to start working after applying for, but before obtaining, a working permit/visa (whichever it is I need)?Finally, where can I find out the current cost of the visas/permits? I have read that the costs on the consulate website are out of date (£245 per visa) and that the rates have gone down a lot recently.I want to travel out there as soon as possible and find an apartment to rent , but I don’t want to leave the UK and then find out that there was something that I should have done at home first!If anyone could enlighten me, I would really appreciate it!Candle1000

Hello candle, what the school is telling you is correct. You just arrive on a tourist visa and then get a residence permit. Then the school gets the work permit, not you.Someone from the school should go with you when you apply for the residence permit from the police to help you communicate and understand exactly what you need to do (unless you already speak very good Turkish).Entering Turkey with a work visa is at present unnecessary as your school can apply for the work permit when you have got a residence permit. That means you don't need to pay the work visa fee, only the residence permit fees.I hope you enjoy your time in Turkey.

Hi Candle it is indeed confusing. There are Resident's Permits, Visitors Visa's and Work Permits. Sometimes people call RP's , Residents Visa's, there is no such thing as a Resident's Visa.

The cost for a 1 year Resdients Permit is 80 US$ for one year. Why US$ I don't know. Anyway the 80 US$ will be converted into Turkish Lira on the day you apply for the RP. There is also an additional cost of 149TL for the blue Residents Permit Book. It's stated that you need to show that you have 300 US$ (you can show that amount in GBP or TL) for every month of the RP. in a Turkish Bank. Thats why Fil said it would be better if someone said it would be good if someone from the school went with you as the can show them a contract as your salary will cover that amount. Some Police Bureau's don't ask for proof of this money but others do.

As Fil say's the school has to apply for your Work Permit and submit it. They must apply for the Work Permit within 30 days of you arriving in Turkey. Another thing you should do when you arrive in Turkey is if you British phone is unlocked you can register it in a large Turkcell / Vodafone or Avea phone shop. This must also be done with 30 days of arrival in Turkey. Take your passport with a copy of the date stamp of your last entry into Turkey and a copy of the page with your photo on it.. You will be able to buy a sim card at the same time. If you don't it will be cut off not long after you arrive in Turkey. Also tell them if you haven't got your RP they you will be staying in Turkey longer than 6 months.

One last thing. If after working at the school you or the school decide to terminate your contract the work permit cannot be transferred to a different employer. If this does happen your new employer will have to apply for a new Work Permit.

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask, we will do our best to help you.

Good Luck Posted Image

Thank you both Abi and Fil! You have made me feel much better about the situation and have cleared up a lot!

I have found on the British Embassy in Turkeys website that I will need 6 things. Of those, what does it mean when it says

[*]The appropriate valid visa obtained from the Turkish Embassy abroad

Does that just mean my tourist visa?

And with regards to the "residence declaration form" which you can download from the site, there is a section that I have to complete that asks:

Have you been to Turkey before?

When?

Where?

The purpose of your entering into Turkey?

If yes, the authority that issued your previous residency permit?

It is number

This is the English translation given......I don't have my old passport which has my stamps in it, but I can make a pretty good guess about when I have been before and where, will this be ok? Or will it have to be exact dates?

Purpose: Does it mean my purpose for entering before? Or now? Before as a tourist, now to apply for a work permit.

"If yes, the authority..." well I'm answering yes to the question "have you been to Turkey before?" but I haven't had a residency permit before, so I leave this bit blank?

"It is number"....assume this means "what was your residency permit number before if you had one"?

p.s link to the site http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-turkey/applying-residence-turkey

I

Candle, as I said in my previous reply...

Hello candle, what the school is telling you is correct. You just arrive on a tourist visa and then get a residence permit. Then the school gets the work permit, not you.Someone from the school should go with you when you apply for the residence permit from the police to help you communicate and understand exactly what you need to do (unless you already speak very good Turkish).Entering Turkey with a work visa is at present unnecessary as your school can apply for the work permit when you have got a residence permit. That means you don't need to pay the work visa fee, only the residence permit fees.

It really isn't difficult to get the residence permit and the school will be able to get your work permit without problems provided you have the necessary qualifications and certificates (you should bring original degree cetificates with you, including transcripts if available). Problems that arise can invariably be overcome, so you don't need to worry.When you come to apply for the residence permit, just fill in the form as best you can using your common sense.I am sure you will enjoy your time in Turkey. I am wondering how well you know Turkey, and where in Turkey will you be working?

Welcome to the forum, Candle. As Fil says don't worry about the residence permit, it really is quite straightforward. And good advice to get someone from the school accompany you, as much for you to feel less stressed than absolute necessity.

Welcome to the forum, Candle. Everything is worrying when you are new to it in a foreign country. As the others have said, don't worry, arrive, get your tourist visa then apply for a residence permit and the school can apply for a work permit for you.

Thanks for the update Candle. One thing I would stress is that you ask that SGK (Turkish Medical Health Service Insurance) is included as part of your package. We have a thread running on the subject of SGK so you might want to have a read as then you will see why the school should be providing you with medical insurance.Good luck :)

I got this from the Turkish Embassy. They are saying Brits can apply in Turkey but it costs £271.

INFORMATION ON VISA FOR RESIDENCE

If you wish to reside in Turkey longer than the normal period allowed to tourists or set up a business, you will need a residence visa.

British nationals can also apply for residence visa while in Turkey. They need to apply to the nearest police headquarters before their 90 days sticker type visa, obtained at the border gate, expires.

If you wish to obtain a residence visa from this Consulate, you will need to submit the following documents in person:

A passport size photo attached to the visa application form Latest bank statement (original to be returned) & a photocopy. Bank statement must show the applicant's current financial standing Reference letter from your employer / school / accountant (if applicable) Visa fee (271 GBP for the year 2013) in cash or by postal order/company cheque made payable to "Turkish Consulate General" A self-addressed envelope (no stamp is necessary) to receive your passport back by post.( if you wish to have your passport returned by post, you should submit your documents to this Consulate General at least two weeks before your departure for Turkey). A letter specifying the reasons for the applicant's intended settlement in Turkey Details of pensions or other assets from which the applicant receive a regular income & a photocopy Particulars of any assets in Turkey (if any), and a photocopy Any other evidence supporting your application, if any

All documents for residence visa must be submitted to this Consulate General at least eight weeks before the intended date of departure. Please note that applications must be referred to the relevant Turkish authorities for their approval.

After obtaining the visa, you are required to register with the local police within a month following the arrival in Turkey in order to obtain a residence permit. If you wish to extend your permit for a further period, you should apply to the same police headquarters before the permit expires.

Household items may be taken into Turkey through a system called "temporary import" provided that the validity of the residence permit is not less than one year. For details of the relevant regulation please contact with the Office of the Finance and Customs Counselor at Turkish Embassy in London which can also provide information on the regulation concerning the temporary import of a car into Turkey.

Information on Turkish Customs Regulation is available at the the official website of Turkish Customs Administration on

http://www.gtb.gov.tr/

Please Click here to make an online appointment for visa applications to Turkey.

Hello,

I came across these posts as I am in a similar situation. I know that rules have been updated in the last year or so, so I am not sure what is applicable in my situation, which is as follows:

I have been offered a one year research position at a Turkish university. I tried applying for the research visa as told by the university, but the Turkish embassy told me to apply for a work visa, where the university has to apply for a work permit at the same time. However, the university refused to apply for a work permit as the procedure is very long, and has told me to come on a tourist visa, then the university will apply for a work permit for me after I arrive in Turkey. I have tried to look for relevant information on the internet, but cannot get a conclusive answer. I know that in some of the above responses, it is noted that it is normal to come on a tourist visa and then convert to work permit. However, when I see the link: http://www.admdlaw.com/employment-of-foreign-teachers-in-turkey/#.VzlJA-RRLOt

I see that " However, foreign teachers who do not reside legally in Turkey for the last six (6) months will need to first apply to the Turkish Consulate abroad at their own State of residence in order to obtain work permit and work visa before entering into Turkey. ", which means that if arriving on a tourist visa, one should apply for a residence permit, and then after 6 months, the employer can apply for work permit. However, another link: http://eng.yabancicalismaizni.com/faq/work-permit-faq.html

says that one needs to have a residence permit valid for 6 months, and there is no mention of having resided for the last 6 months as a condition to obtain work permit.

Could you please let me know if you have some information about this situation, or if you had experienced a similar situation?

The University is outlining the system that is generally followed. For many years the schools that I have worked with have followed the same system. Enter the country as a tourist and then the company (school/university) applies for a work visa for you. You will need to bring original copies of all your certificates with you.