Sign in to follow this  
saffron

Sowing The Wind..

Rate this topic

What would you harvest, if you could sow the wind?I love this proverb. I imagine a supernatural being who sows the wind, and gathers the storm!Yes it goes like that: He who sows the wind, harvests the storm : 'Rüzgar eken fırtına biçer'We cannot estimate how far the result would go, if we leave the normal or moderate ways but choose an unnecessarily aggressive course of action..At the begining we may feel that we have the power, but we may end up in a situation that we cannot cope with, as the counter attack of our rivals proves to be more powerful than ours.This proverb does not advise passivity, but draws attention to the 'cause and effect' relation..If you don't want storm, don't sow the wind!

I couldn't find one that means the same as 'who sows the wind, and gathers the storm'.

The nearest I could find were the following:-

When someone gets their comeuppance, they receive the

treatment they deserve (usually punishment or retribution) for

their behaviour or actions.

"The pupils who are bullying the newcomers will soon get their

comeuppance."

This expression means that there will be trouble as a result of

something.

"There'll be the devil to pay if you break anything!"

If you have to face the music, you have to accept the

unpleasant consequences of your actions.

"He was caught stealing. Now he has to face the music!"

Hey , yes, forgot about that one. Well done Grace.

It's from the Bible, Hosea 8:7

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up."

You get out what you put in.

What goes around comes around.

Every action has a consequence.

Punishment is part of the idea, maybe. But this proverb doesn't warn people of a future punishment: to reap the whirlwind, directly implies a punishment..By the way, I didn't know or somehow failed to notice that the expression: 'to sow the wind' was in the Bible..This must be a universal methaphor..wow..Turning to the Turkish proverb, no, this is not 'you reap what you sow'. This is another proverb: Ne ekersen onu biçersin, exactly 'you reap what you sow', and a good sentence to be examined for a comparasion of sentence structures..This proverb, rüzgar eken fırtına biçer, advises people not to leave the normal , moderate ways in their actions..If a dispute could be settled by an agreement, but I overestimate my power and choose, let's say,to threaten other parties of the dispute, this wind I sow can turn into a storm. This was not my original intend, but I ended up in the middle of a storm!

Maybe it is good idea to add a bit of grammar here?Ne ekersem onu biçerim: I reap what I sowNe ekersen onu biçersin: you reap what you sowNe ekerse onu biçer: s/he reaps whats/he sowsNe ekersek onu biçeriz : we reap what we sowNe ekerseniz onu biçersiniz: you reap what you sowNe ekerlerse onu biçerler : they reap what they sowPlease note that you can use the first part after 'if'Eğer ekersem: if I sow - or simply , ekersem(Eğer) ekersen : if you sow(Eğer) ekerse : if s/he sows(Eğer) ekersek: if we sow(Eğer) ekerseniz: if you sow(Eğer) ekerlerse: if they sow

"As you make your bed, you must lie in it"..... you have to deal with consequences of your own actions. But this is actually equivalent to reaping what you sow (good or bad). :)I'm enjoying thes idioms ..... thanks Saffron !

From the replies given, I see even the closest idiom doesn't match with this one..Why storm for wind? Just imagine someone who beats up his children. These children, when grown up can show a more violent reaction to their father. Beating is the seeds of violence..Or a political party leader, let's say. Elected through democratic ways, this leader may choose oppressive ways against his opponents. These oppressive ways, like the seeds of a storm may bring an 'undemocratic' end for the leader..So the proverb warns: if you don't want to end up in a storm, don't sow its seeds, first..