Yet Another Post Full Of Questions About Romance...

Rate this topic

Hi, I’m new and I was hoping you guys could help me with something. I’m here in Turkey working at a university. It’s a special program through the government so I’m kind of representing the US here. Anyway, I’m having a great time and I’ve met many lovely people. I’ll be here for maybe a year or two.

Anyway, so I have these two friends here, they’re married. The woman is in my department at the university and the man is in another department. They’re super sweet, but I think they’re trying to set me up with a friend of theirs, another professor from another department. They invited both of us to dinner at their place a few weeks ago. I had some suspicions, but there wasn’t any pressure from anyone to do anything other than just hang out and have dinner, drink tea, and watch TV. I actually came away at the end of the night thinking that the potential set up was just my imagination.

This guy doesn’t have very good English, so when I ran into him at school the next week he asked me to come have tea with him so he can practice English. I’ve had tea with tons of people, so I didn’t think anything of it, and nothing happened that time either. We just had tea in his office and chatted about friendly things like where we’re from, how our classes are going, what kind of research he’s doing, that kind of thing.

A few days later though he came up to my office and invited me to tea again. This time the conversation steered towards what I like to do on the weekends, and do I ever go to the movies here, and that kind of thing. I’m like 95% sure that he was hedging towards asking me out…don’t you guys think that’s what it sounds like? He also volunteered to help me with some shopping I need to do for some bulky things I need for my apartment.

I told him I couldn’t think about that at the moment because I was too busy and would be out of town a lot in the coming weeks, which was true, but I’m not sure what to say if it comes up again. On the one hand I could really use the help, and I do enjoy his company, so it would be fun to go to the movies with him. I don’t want to get myself into trouble though. It’s not really normal here for women to go around with guys just as friends, right? I shouldn’t go anywhere with him unless that’s the I want to send is that I’m interested in dating him, right?

I’ve read a lot of posts here about romance, but in this case I don’t think he has the same intentions as the young men from the tourist areas who just want visas. I mean, we’re both working at a university, we're roughly the same age, he has a PhD, he’s very shy and kind of nerdy, plus two other professors (who I know well and trust) introduced us and were already friends with him. It’s tricky though because I planned this year to be just about my professional development. I didn’t want to meet anyone until I got back to the US. I don’t want rumors to start at work and for people to get the wrong idea about me. I don’t want to make the work environment awkward.

The frustrating thing is that he really is my type, and if we were in the US I’d be totally psyched that he was asking me out. Things are just so complicated here given the language and cultural differences and the fact that we kind of work together (different departments at the same U). How do you guys think I should proceed? Should I just try to cut things off completely? Should I try to just keep it as a friendly thing at work? Would it be okay to go out with him? Help!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

İ have a degree (from a premier UK university) which may have allowed me to contribute to this article but unfortunaly İ married a waiter so no doubt that disqualifies me from making any intelligent c

Don't worry, dating here proceeds just as it would in Europe or US. I invited mrs fil for dinner at a beşiktaş fish restaurant for our first date. We went to the cinema a few times, a walk in Belgrade

Have you ever worked as an academic at a Turkish university, istanbul? Are you familiar with the program that the OP is on? Have you worked with such a person before?

Hi Snowglobes and welcome to our forum. Tis a tricky situation that you are in as you work at the same place. As you say I don't think you are in the same situation as a lot of our other posters find themselves in. If I found myself in your situation I think I would wait until and see if he asks again. It could be that he really does only want to practise his English and just trying to be of help if you need it.. But as you say he is very shy he may just be building up some confidence to ask you out on a proper date.

Maybe if you think that is what he is doing you could just try and get into general conversation with your female friend and ask her about seeing a man just as a friend. You could say that you are ignorant of Turkish culture and that how in the US you can just be "friends" with a man and no one thinks anything about it and is the same in Turkey?. You could say that if you keep having tea with him you are worried that people might start to gossip and it worries you, Also say that you are totally focused for the next year on your professional development and whilst you enjoy his company and value his friendship you wouldn't want to hurt his feelings if he was thinking of form a relationship with you in the future, You could also say that you don't date man at the same place you work at because if it fails it could cause problems.

You may also find over time that his English will improve and your Turkish too so that communication between you will improve that your friendship either blossoms, withers or you just have a good male friend without any string attached.

I hope it all turns out alright for you and hope you keep in touch and let us know how it all turns out Posted Image Posted Image

Welcome to our forum.

I think that Abi has given you some good advice. You have to decide what you want from this relationship and if it's possible, given the cultural differences.

I would be very cautious as I think most unmarried males here would be looking for more than just friendship and a romantic relationship takes it into a whole new ball game.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to get distracted from your goals, but you also say that if you were in the US, you'd be super excited as he's your type. So far, he's doing everything "right" in their culture- a set up by mutual friends with no obvious intentions.

I say, be honest and say that you want to be cautious and focused due to your working situation. Then, keep seeing him socially. I'd get out of the office, though. Be out in public and always be in the company of friends. No harm in getting to know him better in that low pressure situation.

If things progress over the next few months and genuine feelings develop and the two of you want to become more involved, you can always meet the family and make it something more serious. But for now, I see no harm in going from colleagues that were almost strangers to platonic friends and then if there's some magic, who knows??? It's quite exciting, really!

I'd also share your thoughts with your mutual friends, since they started it all and see what they say. I'm sure you can learn from them why the dinner happened in the first place.

Having seen how these things can happen first hand when I was in Turkey, I must say, I think this is a much better way to look for a mate- griends and family looking out for your best interest and everything is right there, out in the open. All intentions up front. Rather than the American way of this, "We had two dates and did *%*$# knows what and he didn't call for three days, what's going on...?"Is that what you are looking for, BTW? Are you in the position to consider finding that one special person? Keep in mind that things progress MUCH faster on Turkey Time!

Please update us!

Thanks guys. I guess the next step should be a little girl talk with my friend when I get back in town. I was a little hesitant to mention anything to her because I don't want her to get any ideas either and possibly encourage things that don't need to be encouraged. I think Turks like to play matchmaker, right? I feel like I heard somewhere that making a successful match makes them really happy.

And, romantic things progress much faster in Turkey Time? That's must be the only thing that happens faster in Turkey Time, because I've learned that most things in Turkey are much slooooower. ;)

Good advice above.

I would add a couple of observations. As you have no doubt noticed university life is full of gossip and bitchiness, so if you might get hurt by others' annoying remarks don't have any kind of close relationship with a colleague, platonic or otherwise. On the other hand, the gossip is very silly and short-lived, so there is no reason why you should not manage a relationship as you would back home, if a bit of gossip doesn't bother you.

On the subject of how men and women relate here, there does seem to be a great diversity of possible behaviour, particularly in professional situations. Of course, the macho male does seem to predominate, but there are women who manage to be friends with men and keep everything under control.

If you do decide that you want to get involved romantically I suggest that you take a look at this link to give you some idea of what it might involve.

Hi Snowglobe, welcome!:) It does sound like your friends have tried to matchmake you both, and under normal circumstances there's nothing wrong in that!:wink: But you do seem quite doubtful about the situation and I wonder why that is? The whole thing could be totally harmless and your friends might just be trying to do some friendly matchmaking, but don't let the fact he's got a PhD and works at uni lull you into a false sense of security.:wub: He may be totally genuine but at the same time it's very well known that Turkish men (not just tourist workers - professionals too) will try to marry a Western woman from the US or the UK, because ultimately they can earn far more money working abroad than they can in Turkey. Turkish salaries are very poor in comparison to what they can earn abroad, and that goes for all occupations - from waiters to heart surgeons. They can also get a passport to travel the world by marrying a Western woman. So although you might think it's only tourist workers who do this sort of thing, it isn't at all!

This may not be the case with this man you've met, he may genuinely just want to be with you, but it's always wise to be forearmed. And you might like to ask yourself why you're feeling doubtful. Could it be that you wonder why your friends are trying to matchmake you with someone who's not really ideal (language barrier for one thing) and when they know in a couple of years you'll be returning to the US?:closedeyes:

Despite all that I see no reason why you can't be friends with him (he sounds very sweet) and just play it by ear. There's no rush, you're not beholden to him! You can just go on dates and take each day as it comes. Anything can happen in two years, you may both fall madly in love, or it may all blow over very quickly.

Just let the relationship take its natural course and try to enjoy yourself without worrying about the outcome - or if people are gossiping!:yummy:

L x

Guest istanbul

Some people really do love to milk the people who come to this forum for advice, and even moreso love to milk those who have sob stories.

First of all, academics in Turkey after a period of service are given a green passport which gives them the right to go to some countries visa-free such as Greece and Spain. Secondly, academics in Turkey usually have no problems in getting a visa for a foreign country, usually there are different rules for those who possess a green passport which makes it easier. The only prohibiting thing is the time and documents required. So it may be assumed he already has a 'passport with which to travel the world' or he could get one after a few years of continued service at his university which makes the argument that he's after a visa redundant. We're talking about professionals who have studied 10 years or more in their field to get where they are, not a bar boy in a resort somewhere. Universities the world over employ Turkish scholars. In addition, Lizaliza, many in Turkey would be quite offended if you told them are not western.

In response to the OP, few on this forum can give you advice regarding your situation as most of them are married or have had relationships with bar boys and waiters not with professionals as in your case. Most foreigners in are just interested in a bit of gossip themselves, so I wouldn't give too much weight to the advice you'll be given. You're a professional yourself and not a teenage girl, I would only recommend that you proceed according to your own instincts. I don't know which university you're at, but in the private universities which have many foreign teachers, relationships between Turkish and foreign academics are fairly common.

Hi Istanbul, Snowglobe hasn't come on here with a sob story? :confused: And no-one's milking her story, people are just offering their opinions which she asked for.:) Snowglobe, excuse me for not addressing you in this post!

Istanbul, I know that Turks with a green passport can visit other countries and many academics and businessmen can get visas quite easily - but they're not entitled to work in those countries that they visit. Unless they go on a business/working visa, which does have restrictions and does not come with all the advantages of a settlement visa. Neither can a Turk obtain a British Passport just because he's an academic, and whether you have a green or red Turkish passport, there's lots of restrictions! Further, academics in Turkey earn MUCH less than they do in the UK.

With all due respect to academics who have studied for ten years or so, it doesn't mean to say they have more of a moral compass than a barboy does. Quite frankly, that view of yours is rather prejudiced. You're implying that just because someone works in tourism that they don't have the same moral values as someone who has been fortunate enough to go to college and university. There's a lot of poverty in Turkey and many families cannot afford for their children to further their education, but that doesn't make them bad people. Likewise, whilst some academics are lovely people, some of them are unscrupulous, unpleasant, and can be opportunists.

It's pompous (not to mention extremely naive) to suggest an academic can't be an unpleasant, greedy opportunist - and only barboys can be. I take it you frequent bars sometimes, and I'm sure you don't treat the bar staff in the way you obviously feel about them - otherwise you wouldn't get served.Posted Image

I don't see why you think many in Turkey would be offended at me saying they're not all Western. Most of them aren't. What's wrong in that? Most of Turkey (except for a tiny part) comes under Asia - which is not Western.:wacko:

Out of interest where do you originate from, Istanbul? I'm sure I read somewhere that you teach English language in Istanbul - is that correct? TEFL's are very popular aren't they?

L x

Thanks for the continuing advice. All the various opinions are helpful and eyeopening, and it shows me that I need to make sure I know a lot more about this guy before I get too emotionally involved.

One thing I see you guys saying is give it a shot, take it slow, but maybe try "dating" if that's where it leads. But that brings me back to a question from my original post that I don't think I articulated very well...what does dating look like in Turkey? What's an acceptable date? Something that won't make me look bad...to either my colleagues or this guy. In the US for a basic date I'd do something like dinner and a movie or dinner at home and watching some TV or something (yeah, I'm super exciting), but would that be okay here? Can we even go out to dinner alone, or should something like that be done with friends. I want to know what passes for normal here so that I know whether to be worried about something he suggests or not, you know what I mean?

But you do seem quite doubtful about the situation and I wonder why that is?

I think it's mostly that ever since I told people I was going to work overseas for a few years, all my friends have been saying I'd come home with a husband, and I kept saying, no, no, it's not like that. This is for my career. There won't be time for that and it's unprofessional. Then I got here and everyone was asking me why I wasn't married, and wasn't I lonely here by myself, and I kept telling them that I'm not lonely and I'm not interested in getting married anytime soon, not to a Turk or an American or anyone. Basically, I keep saying no, no, no, that's not going to happen to me, that's so cliche, but then look what has come up. So, if something comes out of this, I'm going to look like a bit of a hypocrite, huh? So a lot of the doubtfulness you hear is me not wanting to admit that I was wrong, that I actually like this guy, and that I might have stuck my foot in my mouth. ;)

Don't worry, dating here proceeds just as it would in Europe or US. I invited mrs fil for dinner at a beşiktaş fish restaurant for our first date. We went to the cinema a few times, a walk in Belgrade forest, we went to Beşiktaş against Galatasaray in the Turkish cup, afternoon tea in many different tea gardens. At some stage I cooked a curry at home which impressed her no end. That was 21 years ago, but I don't think it has changed since then.

I suppose you are in Anatolia somewhere, not istanbul, so more than likely you will be spotted by colleagues or students. May be a consideration to you, maybe not. I wouldn't do the meal at home early on.

Just try to relax and enjoy yourself.

PS as for family and friends kidding about coming back with a husband, just tell them about all the camels that were offered.

PPS if you see someone running down the street being pursued by a large group of Turkish professionals (men and women) shaking their fists it may be istanbul being chased by the spouses of the various contributors to this thread who were offended at being called barboys.

Istanbul you are insufferably rude and patronising about members of this forum. I don't remember everyone having disclosed that their partners are/were bar boys or waiters so where did you get this information from?

As liza says, everyone doesn't have access to higher education in Turkey and take what jobs they can, so why are you so prejudiced against people who work in a bar as opposed to those who work in other jobs ? If some members are married to them, why are their comments less valid than someone who is married to a professional? Do I get a hint of snobbery here?

I dont really have first hand experience of dating in Turkey but as far as I have seen it, it seems exactly same than here in Finland. Also girls and boys can be just friends in Turkey, hanging around together, go for cinema and have a dinner without any other meaning than being close friends. Even though it's Turkey, big scary muslim country (please notice my sarcasm) , it doesn't mean Turkey is stuck in middle age and boys can get girl bacterium if they are not married :) so I think you should go for it without prejudices and see what happens. But of course you have be open and talk openly about your expectations and not mislead him - well misleading can happen with any guy, turkish or american, without meaning it.

Guest istanbul

Because someone who who has a PhD and is presumably at the very least a Yardımcı Döçent has quite different perspectives, views and expectations than a bar boy from Diyarbakır working in a resort. I don't understand what is wrong with that, it is factual information in my opinion.

To be honest, these threads just annoy me at this point. Even more so those who milk these women's stories. It's like Hello! magazine on repeat. So I'm switching off to go and read the Daily Mail, see ya.

Hi Istanbul, I have a wide circle of friends and associates, both in the UK and Turkey, and the one thing they all have in common is their good manners and the way they treat each person they come across with the same equal respect. That is always a sure sign that someone has been raised well; irrespective of their profession, academic qualifications or family finances.

I still don't understand why you seem so dazzled by someone with a PhD? Having a qualification doesn't mean to say you're a good and decent person, it merely proves you are disciplined and have the ability to learn. I can go further than that, too. Whilst many academics are very, very bright, some academics really have to struggle to make it through university - they're not always naturally gifted, or even highly intelligent. Of course, some academics are indeed very clever, but again, intelligence has nothing to do with morals or character. Some very well-known academics have gone on to commit the most horrendous crimes (Harold Shipman, for example - doctorate in medicine) - I'm just using him as an example to show to you that being learned doesn't equal morals, or mean you are of good character or mentally stable. Of course, being uneducated doesn't mean one isn't capable of commiting crimes, either! But I'm just explaining to you that education doesn't equal morals.

You're absolutely wrong when you suggest academics have superior views, perspectives and expectations to those who have no qualifications! Some of the most clever, inspirational, gifted people in the world have been high school dropouts. Take the billionaire Richard Branson (worth about 4 billion) he left school with no qualifications at all - in fact he's dyslexic - yet look at all the inspiration he had!!:yummy:

Take a look at Bill Gates, another high school dropout - he's one of the richest men in the world. Mark Zuckerberg (facebook) he too dropped out of school. Rockefeller (probably the richest man ever!), Spielberg, Henry Ford who revolutionised the ways cars were produced - these are just a few of - not just the richest men in the world - but the most inspirational and clever men the world has ever seen. So it's incredibly shortsighted of you to think you need a degree to be successful. Academics can only get so far in life, unlike hugely successful entrepreneurs or talented sportsmen such as David Beckham, who probably counts his blessings that he wasn't academic!Posted Image None of these people I've mentioned are low on morals or values, and all of them have/had extremely HIGH expectations indeed!

As I said previously, academia itself - whilst rewarding in many ways - will not make you moneyed, and neither will it instill morals and values inside a person if they're already lacking somewhat.....and there's nothing worse than an insufferable snob who thinks he's better than everyone else simply because he's studied text books and done some research. Snobs are usually snobs because they feel inferior about something. Confident well-adjusted people treat everyone equally, regardless of status, and in my experience snobs usually have VERY little to be snobby about!:lol:

Back to Turkish academics - they earn very poor money in comparison to academics in the west. In Istanbul the salaries are very low, and the cost of living out there is comparable to many European cities, so their quality of life is compromised : which means some of them could be easily tempted by the thought of all those banknotes available to them across the water..... I'm not suggesting all of them would be, but some could be! Here's a link for you that explains how difficult it is to survive on an academics salary in Istanbul - it explains things far better than I can! :)

DEAD LINK

By the way, unlike you I don't actually know any barboys from Diyarbakir, but that doesn't negate my argument about people's values and morals. There are bad, unscrupulous opportunists in all walks of life, and whilst a very poor barboy could be seen as having more motivation to escape his financially dire situation, not each and every one of them has the morals of an alleycat.:eyebrow: And not each and every one of them is stupid, either. Education doesn't equal intelligence. I know some highly educated people (two of them professors) and in some ways they're as daft as brushes! Likewise, I know some people with no qualifications at all who are extremlely sharp, quick and witty - and one of them is running a successful business which he started himself from scratch.:)

Istanbul, I don't know why you feel annoyed about this thread :wacko: but I have noticed that when someone comes along with an opinion you find difficult to argue with, you flounce off, thereby avoiding any questions you won't/can't answer. By that, I'm assuming you're not an academic yourself : academics usually enjoy a debate or putting their point across in a mature understanding way.

By the way, you still haven't said what you teach? Do you have a TEFL? I've heard you can do them online - is that correct?

L x

I think Istanbul has a point. It's true that well-educated people have more versatile and realistic views of life, also out of their own small circle. Sure education doesn't make anyone more intelligent or better person, but good education helps educate person itself as well. And when I am talking about education, I don't only mean school knowledge, but also everything else i.e. conventional wisdom. And good education gives help to process general information about world.

I do agree that you don't need university education to be intelligent and successful, but you have to be capable to educate yourself, be interested world around you and see and learn from people and everything that happens around you. But unfortunately it's more likely that barboy doesn't bother to learn, but someone with university degree does. Of course it's not that black and white, everyone is different and job doesn't describe anyone's wisdom level, but if we compare 10 barboys and 10 PhDs, I bet most of last ones have better general wisdom level than first ones.

I don't know if this made any sense, cause I really had troubles to put my thoughts as words in English. I don't mean to offend anyone, I do not undervalue anyone by their education level, but in a way good education affects to way of thinking.

Guest istanbul

Lizaliza, I don't teach TEFL. Secondly,

Foreign universities are full of Turkish scholars. This is more nonsense, like your first post which was just a plagiarised article from a newspaper that you re-wrote.

Nor did I call anyone 'stupid', etc. Is it not a simple fact that people with PhDs and who are presumably at the very least a yardımcı döçent would have different outlooks and expectations than a bar boy? The fact is that this man is a professional and yes, while he may be a scammer, etc. It is incredibly unlikely. If he wished to work abroad, he would have the opportunity to do so because of his qualifications and presumably his green passport. And it wouldn't be serving kebabs either.

Hi Fen, it all depends on what you've read at university.:) Some people study for years doing subjects such as philosophy or social sciences, which almost anyone could pass with flying colours. So in that respect education isn't a guage which shows how intelligent one is.:closedeyes: Of course, when someone sails through, say, a science course with ease, and years later ends up working as a revered brain surgeon, or a much sought after brilliant QC then you do expect people to be impressed by their intelligence, sharpness and talent. :) But for a very average academic - who could even find themselves working in McDonald's with their degree - it's not really something that impresses much these days. They have dumbed down a lot in certain fields and in certain countries.:wacko:

I think there's a BIG difference between someone who is gifted and highly intelligent, to someone who is a run-of-the-mill student and has simply had the opportunity to attend university, even if they're not particularly gifted or even clever! So when you say it's more likely that a barboy wouldn't bother to educate themselves, that's somewhat prejudiced in my opinion!:huh: You can't speak on their behalf, and say what they feel or want! Just because they haven't had the same opportunities that many Turks have in large cities doesn't mean they're less intelligent! Indeed, they could possibly be far more intelligent that those who struggle through their course at university and end up scratching around for a job once they're graduated.Posted Image

Of course, some barboys could be unintelligent, but that applies to everyone the world over. What you seem to be forgetting is that many of these uneducated barboys simply haven't had the opportunity to study and better themselves, but that doesn't mean they're stupid, daft or unintelligent. Likewise, a child born to wealthy parents' isn't necessarily highly intelligent, they could be as daft as a brush, but with private schooling (and lots of study and overtime) they usually manage to scrape through and get a place at iniversity.:eyebrow: Which probably accounts for all the inept professionals - lawyers, doctors, politicians that you read about!:wacko:

Of course, a good education gives everyone a head start - we all know that - but it doesn't make an individual decent, caring, kind and morally respectable! And just because someone is uneducated it doesn't mean to say they are stupid or bad!

L x

Lizaliza, I don't teach TEFL. Secondly,

Foreign universities are full of Turkish scholars. This is more nonsense, like your first post which was just a plagiarised article from a newspaper that you re-wrote.

Nor did I call anyone 'stupid', etc. Is it not a simple fact that people with PhDs and who are presumably at the very least a yardımcı döçent would have different outlooks and expectations than a bar boy? The fact is that this man is a professional and yes, while he may be a scammer, etc. It is incredibly unlikely. If he wished to work abroad, he would have the opportunity to do so because of his qualifications and presumably his green passport. And it wouldn't be serving kebabs either.

Hi Istanbul,, yes I realise you don't teach TEFL - you're still a student.Posted Image I read that earlier.

As regards foreign universities being FULL of Turkish scholars, I'd say that's a bit wide of the mark! SOME Turkish students, but not full of them, surely? What's so wrong with Turkish universities that students want to study abroad, anyway? Indeed, why are you - a British person - studying in a Turkish university?Posted Image

I don't see how you can accuse me of writing nonsense! And my first post certainly was NOT plagiarised!Posted Image And my post that you've quoted above is all mine - every single word was written by me - no-ne else!Posted Image Indeed, I actually write on the web, and I certainly do not need to plagiarise other people's work! But I think you're referring to the recipe post about Turkish food (fish, I think) which I did first read in the Telegraph and found it inspirational. In fact, it's something I would very easily write myself (I adore writing about food and luscious things!Posted Image ) and do a lot of work for various people.Posted Image But when posting on a Turkish forum, about Turkish food, it seemed appropriate to decribe the fish and fruit in the same way as I'd read it. I don't see anything wrong in that, but I do think it's petty of you to have jumped on it immediately, and you still to this day remember it!Posted Image Busy life you must have! But I can tell you now, go through each and every one of my posts and you will find ALL of them are original - they are all mine - if a post can actually 'belong' to the author!

And no, you din't actually SAY the word, stupid - but you certainly inferred it!Posted Image If you weren't so rude and pretentious I could find you amusing, especuially when you drop in Turkish words such as yardımcı döçent for effect!Posted Image Why not just write 'associate professor'? You'd sound less pompous, then - and less eager to impress with your limited Turkish!

In some ways you are correct. Some Turkish professors could well have different outlooks on life than a bar boy (or bar MAN) does. But you can't seem to grasp the fact can you? You can't seem to comprehend that education doesn't equal intelligence and morals. A professor could just as easily be a deviant, a thief, a liar, a cheat, or mentally unstable as a bar boy could be.Posted Image Likewise, a bar boy could be bad and a deviant, but he could also be good, kind, decent, intelligent, and have more morals than a deviant educated professor. You can't seem to differentiate between goodness and knowledge!

Neither can you answer any uncomfortable questions, but that's fine, I'm sagacious enough to understand why you can't!Posted Image

By the way, a green passport is not a green light to working abroad. Not at all! Furthermore, it doesn't matter how well-qualified a Turk is, and how green his passport is - if he can't speak English then his chances of working abroad are extremely slim! Languages such as English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese - anyone who's fluent in those should find work abroad quite easily - but alas, Turkish is not a language spoken worldwide! It's only really useful in Turkey itself.

It's very presumptious of you to suggest all Turkish people just serve kebabs, you know!Posted Image Do you think that's all Turks are good for? Serving kebabs?Posted Image You obviously don't have any Turkish friends if that's how you perceive them! Anyone would wonder what on earth you're doing in Turkey in the first place when you have such a low opinion of some Turks, even down to the food........................................................you sound like a very unhappy disgruntled man.Posted Image

I think it's very sad!

L