Renouncing Turkish Citizenship

Rate this topic

Hi there, my name is Erdal and this is my very first post..

I am 37y old, my mother and father are Turkish born, but we emigrated to the Netherlands when I was 8y old and we all have double (dutch and turkish) nationality.

The Dutch parliament soon will treat a new proposal for a law. If taken, it will mean that any person with a Dutch passport and another passport will loss his Dutch passport if he lives outside the Netherlands or the European, and (I emigrated to Chile 4 years ago). My aim is to keep my Dutch passport.

For this reason I want to get renounce my Turkish citizenship. But it seems that before you can do this you need to first postpone your military service. Until 2004 I always postponed on time the military service. Due to negligence and laziness I did not do it afterwards. However 3 months ago I was a couple of days in the Netherlands and applied for the maximal extension possible (until the end 2012, the year in which I become 38y old).

I would be grateful if somebody could some light on:

1) How long does a decision takes before the Turkish ministry of Defense takes a decision for postponement?

2) Does somebody (preferably with double nationality) renounced his citizenship? What were the EXACT things they ask you to bring to the embassy/consulate?

When I was 3 months ago in the consulate in the Netherlands, I did not told I emigrated to Chile (so as not to complicate the postponement application). But, after official acceptance of my military service postponement for me the best would be to apply from Chile.

3) Would be sufficient just to show my Dutch passport and renounce at the Turkish embassy in Chile?

Somebody from the Turkish consulate in the Netherlands (informally) told that the best would be to do it from Netherlands because they have all the information on me.

My apologizes if I made it a bit too long. But basically I am asking for people who renounced there citizenship to share there experience with us.

I will keep posting any new information I discover.

Take care,

Erdal

Hi Erdal, welcome to our forum. Posted Image

If the only way to renounce your Turkish citizenship is to finalize your military service first, why not take advantage of your foreign residency to buy out of it and be done with it ? Your ties to Turkey seem not so strong if you are prepared to surrender Turkish nationality in favour of Dutch. And if you don't already know, the Turkish govt has just passed a new law (effective from 01/01/12) that will enable you to do paid military service without having to serve the 21 days basic training.............. for a fee of 10,000 euros http://www.haberturk.com/yasam/haber/692293-konsolosluklarda-bedelli-bereketi If you google paid military service or bedelli askerlik you will get a wealth of information about the new law.

A few years ago, my daughter renounced her Turkish citizenship temporarily in order to sit for the foreign students' university entrance exam (she has reclaimed it now). She had to write a dilekçe to explain why, and provide copies of kimlik and other evidence to support the facts. You will probably have to provide a copy of the new Dutch law. It's best to get advice from the Turkish Consulate on whatever else they might want. Once your military is finalized, they shouldn't have any good reason to refuse you (???).

The decision is yours, and I wish you good luck. And I hope you will let us know the outcome, as others reading this forum would be very interested. :)

Hi Meral,Thank you:) My ties to Turkey are indeed not that strong, and the quality of my Turkish is (unfortunately, because it is a beautiful language) deteriorating in a fast tempo.

But that is not my biggest issue. My basic problem is that the content of the (possible) new Dutch law is not yet law, also not sure when it will pass the parliament, most probably from 2012 but could also be in 2013. I just want to be prudent, because once I loose my dutch passport, it will be very difficult to get it back. I also prefer not to pay 10,000 euros (I find it outrageous they just doubled it by two!), because I am a (beginning) scientist and also still paying a considerable debt back to the state.

You said that your daughter had to write a dilekçe to explain why, and provide copies of kimlik and other evidence to support the facts. Do you by any chance remember what she wrote in her dilekçe and what evidence did she had to present?

I hope that I receive in 1 o 2 weeks information wether my military service is postponed. After that I will pass by the Turkish embassy here in Santiago. I will upload any new information I have.

Chau from Santiago,Erdal

• 8 months later...

In the end things went quite smooth. So maybe my story might help other people here:The MOST important thing is just to postpone officially your military service AND have a valid passport and nüfus (for at least a year I would say).

The military service you can postpone until (including) the year in which you becomes 38 years old (like me now!).

You also need official documentation that you have another nationality. Another passport is NOT sufficient, you need some official declaration of the Ministry of Immigration/Interior that says since when you have been nationalized.

After all the above preparation I went to the Turkish consulate and said I wanted to give up my citizenship. Actually they have a prepared form there you fill in with them.

I can't recall exactly what I gave as reason, but it was something like that the Turkish passport complicates too much my life as a traveling scientists.

They didn't ask any complicated questions. In the end it took approximately three months. One month ago I got the permission, an official paper which states I left Turkish citizenship (the civil servant told me that it can take between 3 and 9 months). So I am not Turkish anymore.

And thanks from me too Erdal. I was surprised that they actually accepted your reasons for opting out, but it's a good outcome for you. You should have received a "mavi kart" which is still a sort of kimlik, and you should still be able to travel in & out of Turkey freely with that plus your Dutch passport. I'm sure this information will be helpful for many dual citizens. :)

• 5 years later...

Hi Sosis,

Welcome to the forum.  It's been a long time since the above topic was around.  I've checked my old PMs but unable to find the one you want. I've asked for our Admin to help out so will keep you posted.  I just wish I could remember what I might've said in that PM :( .  Whatever, will try to help....... :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Meral,

Could you by any chance send me a copy of the message as well?

I have two nationalities (Dutch and Turkish) as well and would really like to renounce the Turkish one.

I don't speak the Turkish language, was born in the Netherlands 29 years ago and have visited Turkey only once 24 years ago. I have both nationalities because of the fact my father was still a Turk when I was born and my mom is Dutch. I have no real connections to Turkey and my previous attempts to renounce the nationalities have been in vain because of a language barrier at the Turkish consulate.

I have a half brother in Turkey and would really like to visit him next summer.

Hi Bleen,  welcome to the forum.  I have sent you a copy of the PM.   I'm surprised at the language barriers you experienced at the Turkish Consulate.... normally they employ local staff as well, and the Dutch are famed for having about the highest percentage in Europe of English speakers like yourself!

Good luck!  And if you post the result on this forum, others like you may also benefit. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi Umit,  Welcome to the forum!  Yours is the 3rd request for a copy of the PM, so I will just print it here for you, plus all & sundry who may want to know.  But please note this information is quite old now & some of it pretty obsolete as many new laws have been introduced since then, especially to do with military service (this post was geared in response to specific queries from original poster alexeikirillov) .....

Here is the copy of the original PM (from 2012) which you requested.  Some of the information may be out of date by now.

***********************************************************************************

You were asking about my daughter's dilekce. First I will explain that we are Australian, and my husband is Turkish. We came to Turkey 8 years ago when my daughter was 13 without much Turkish. We were not confident that she could pass the very difficult and formidable Turkish university entrance exam when she was 17. But there was an alternative way to enter a Turkish university -- to sit for the exam designed for "foreign" students, available for Turkish students with another citizenship. To do this, she must not have Turkish citizenship, so she had to surrender it. A complication was, because she was under 18, her Dad had to renounce his citizenship at the same time....but now they both have it back.

She and her Dad each had to write a separate dilekce to explain the above. She had to tell them that she had only been in Turkey 3 years and did not feel confident to pass the exam in Turkish, so wanted to apply through the foreign test. Her Dad's reason was that the govt would not allow a child under 18 to be excluded from citizenship, so he was obliged to do the same. In both cases they said it was temporary.  She had to provide her kimlik, a letter from her school, and proof that she had registered to sit the foreign exam in Ankara. Plus a nufus kagit orneği (printout from the Registry) and her Australian passport (to prove she had another citizenship). Also I had to write a letter to confirm my permission.  (In the end, that was all for nothing, because she was accepted by a British university which wasn't interested in her university test performance -- they only wanted her high school results.)

Yours will be different of course, according to your circumstances. But you probably already know that Turkey is very bureaucratic and may ask for all sorts of paperwork which for us may seem irrelevant.

By the way, we also have a son,  aged 34,  and we are intending to clear him from military service with this new law.

I hope that you will get your latest extension. And I fully understand that you don't wish to pay 10,000 euros -- it's much too high, and also not fair because not everyone can pay. As I see it, your only remaining option is to not ask, but tell them that you will renounce citizenship, whether they like it or not. But it means you will have to cut your ties with Turkey and never return all your life, otherwise they will detain you until you fullfil your obligation to their country.

Of course we can always hope that the laws may change in the future, but we don't always have time or patience to wait for that to happen. Even if you want to pay the money, the govt says is making this offer only for 6 months (as we understand it), and if the Dutch law is not yet finalized, things may not fit together for you. If you can't or won't pay the money, are you considering coming to Turkey and actually fullfilling your military service ? If you can come for 3 weeks to do the basic training, and if you pay 5112 euros before 31/12, you will finish it, and do not renounce citizenship until the Dutch law is passed ?

I don't know if any of this information will help you, but I wish you the best in your work and study, and hope you can sort this problem out. And please post the results on the forum, because we always like to know how an interesting story ends.

********************************************************************************

Hope this will be helpful to you.  If you have further questions, please feel free to ask & I will answer if I can.

Cheers,

•  

Copyright 2017 Turkey Central LLCPowered by Invision Community

• 11 months later...

Hi all

I need some information on what to do. Firstly my situation. 

I'm 46 years old and haven't been to Turkey for over 20+ years. I have dual citizenship due to my father (I did not ask for this and it was not by choice) registering me in Turkey. I was born in London and my mother is English. My wife keeps asking me to go to Turkey but my fear is getting arrested if I enter the country. I have not done military service as I never planned to go back or considered my self a national. How do I denounce my citizenship?? I know being a British national/citizen doesn't exempt me from any duties (as it states this on my British passport). It's a really annoying situation which I can't seem to find an answer to?? 

Would appreciate any help and suggestions. 

Thanks

Issues regarding citizenship, if you are outside of the country, would be handled by a Turkish embassy or consulate. So you should contact the one nearest you and see what needs to be done. Here is the consular appointment website:

https://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/Appointment/SearchAppointment

At the upper right is an option to create an appointment. You can use this system for any Turkish embassy or consulate in the world.

There's no need to go to Turkey, the embassy or consulate will coordinate this for you.

• 1 year later...

Hi wonder if you can help me, I’m from the uk and have a child who had British passport (but born in turkey ) but has a Turkish kimlik,

im trying to renounce the kimlik as We live in the uk and I can not stand the thought of hun having to do military service

hes just turned 18 and this is hanging over my shoulders and seem to get no answers from the embassy 

Thankyou 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 03:46, Ken Grubb said:

If you can read the posts above and ask some specific questions I'll try to help.

Hi ken

ive read the posts and have now made an appointment at the consulate for hun, earliest is July,

I’m not hundred percent sure on the documents to take as my Turkish not great.

wish this was all over and he just had British passport 

Thankyou

I hope the information here has at least been of some help. I wish you the best in your effort and success with your appointment at the consulate. This is something I'm not familiar with.

Would you mind returning to this topic after your appointment to let us know how it goes? There's bound to be someone in the future who will be in the situation, and I'm sure whatever information you can provide will be of great help.

• 2 weeks later...