Making Cheesecake With Turkish Ingredients?

Rate this topic

sue

Hi all you cookers!!!

We had a BBQ on our terrace yesterday (I know - November, right??) and someone brought a shop-bought frozen cheesecake, unfortunately it was a bit of a let down. I love cheesecake and I always make one at Xmas with made up ingredients. The base is of course biscuit, the frozen one was almost cake-like.

The filling, I use Mascarpone cheese, creme fraiche, double cream, and icing sugar, the frozen one was just krem shanti.

It certainly didn't hit the mark!!

With Xmas next month, I'm going to have a go at a cheesecake, now so I can perfect it.

So, my questions are, using Turkish ingredients,a. Which biscuits would you recommend for the base?b. Do you think Labne cheese is a good substitute for Philadelphia cheese? Are there any other soft cheeses you would recommend?c. Do you think if I just ground up granulated sugar I could use it instead of icing sugar?d. Do you have a recipe I could change around to make a yummy cheesecake with Turkish ingredients?thanks very much, I anticipate any replies with a watering mouth!!

I've never made a cheesecake as there is a bakers in the area that makes a very nice cherry one, but if I was making one there is a biscuit in Bim that is similar to digestive. I can't remember the name but I think it has a green wrapper also I would use Bim's own soft cheese. You can buy icing sugar here, it's called pudra sekeri.

For a recipe, just Google itJust remembered that Dr Oteker (?) makes a kit one. One of my neighbours made one. It was ok but I think you can do better yourself.

You two must be tough having a BBQ, it's freezing in the evenings now. (well it feels like that)

Yes granulated sugar can be whizzed up in a processor, I always do it coz I never remember to buy icing sugar. Mascarpone is available in some supermarkets (it's here in Kaş) but there is a range of cream cheese that I've recently bought in Migros which would probably be good, it's like Philadelphia cheese but a bit more yellow, mind you don't get the garlic flavoured one though, not good in a cheesecake! Posted Image

hi guys,sunny, I wanted to avoid a packet one if poss. Thanks for the tip on pudra seker, I'll keep my eyes open. I'll check out a Bim for digestives and their cream cheese. I'm sure some bakeries do a fine version, but I like to make my own at Xmas. Yes, it was cold later on, but during the day there was no wind and clear blue skies, BiL, SiL, suggested it, brought the niece too, and we christened the terrace, deciding how nice we can make it come summertime, and the kids all had a good, mad time, and this is one of the reasons we moved here, so the kids can be together - plus, we used to camp in Wales a lot, so we're hard!!!

Sam, cheesecake isn't really cooking, it's more mixing, spreading and waiting!!! Unless it's a baked one! When I've perfected my recipe, I'll post it here and you can impress your rellies with it!!!

Cukur, thanks for that, if I can get Mascarpone it would be great, I'll look in Migros at their range, and TRY not to use the garlic one!!

Well, I'm not surprised your having bbqs down south, but I was pretty chuffed to be having one up here!

Sue, I've made cheesecake with ingredients from here, although it was baked cheesecake. The main ingredient was tatlı lor, a white cheese bought from the pazar which is fairly similar to ricotta, though not as soft. You'd have to soften it by hand (use a whisk or fork) by adding a bit of milk or yogurt. I added ordinary sugar and lemon juice, as well as other usual ingredients. I'm sure you could use it as well in the non-baked variety (although it would go well with sweetened condensed milk, but I don't know if you can get in in Turkey).

If you manage to swing it, please let us know how it goes ! Afiyet olsun !

ahh, Meral, thanks for that tip, I'll check out our Tuesday pazar.

Also, I haven't done a lot of supermarket shopping since we've been here, haven't quite got into a routine yet, and we're just grabbing what we need, so, does anyone know, can I get cocoa powder for my baking anywhere?cheers.

Have made this several times its easy and turns out really well.

Use the biscuits from Bim they are rectangular shape and in a green wrapper cant remember the name but only ones that shape.

Use Bim labne cheese.

Recipe

Base

3 oz butter

6 oz digestive biscuits

Filling

8 oz cream cheese

3 eggs (seperated)

4 oz caster sugar

1 oz plain flour

1/4 pint cream

few drops vanilla essense or use the vanilla sugar you can buy in the small packets

Melt butter crush biscuits mıx together press into a baking pan. Put in the fridge.

Soften the cheese beat in the egg yolks caster sugar vanilla flour and cream. Whip the egg whites then add carefully to your mixture. Put in the baking tin.

Cook on 160 deg for about 1 1/2 hours check if it gets a bit brown on top cover with foil. İts cooked when it feels firm and springs back.

When cool you can cover the top with chopped or sliced fruit for a really posh look.

Thanks, Atayavie, move has been made, still sorting everything out - I also have no oven YET! It's sitting in the kitchen in a box waiting for the carcass to go into!

Good one aine, I should be ok for my cheesecake ingredients then, and will try your baked one when said oven is installed!!

I've made a few and yes, the labne can work. I've even used the low salt feta type for a (sort of) substitute for ricotta, if you like the Italian, drier version. A fruited version can always mask some of the imperfection if you can't find a great substitute. What I do is make the filling, reserve some and add the fruit and use a mixer to blend it. THEN, I pour the plain one into the pan then the flavored one into it, making a bull's eye design. Draw a knife through it in different directions like the spokes of a bicycle to make a lovely spiderweb pattern.

One warning about the oven- if you use the round kind- the heat is very strong, so I cook it for some of the time and then turn it off and let it set in the oven to finish. It's also important to put some dishes with water along in with it to keep it moist so the top doesn't crack. To that end, I'd make a small cake so you have room for the water baths.

For the filling, as long as it tates good before you pour it in, you should be pleased. I noticed that if it's a bit goaty, a dash of lemon juice and even some black pepper complement it nicely. Sounds odd, but it works. My husband thought I was nuts, but then kissed my hands when he tasted it! Posted Image

Good luck and update us