Peaches & Plums

Rate this topic

Hello Everybody, I just have a quick question.

My mother in law has bought a lot of peaches and plums over the summer and have frozen them all. On my last visit to her last week she decided that she would give them all to me but havent told me what I can use them in. Im not lying my freezer is full of slices plums and peaches in little bags there has to be at least 5 kilos of each in there maybe more.

I have looked on the net for recipes where I can use them up I was thinking maybe cakes or something other than chutneys or jams as me and they husband dont eat them but all recipes on line say fresh plums and peaches.

Do anybody on here know a way I can use them up.

Love Sam xx

Lucky you having fresh fruit for the winter!-Thaw them overnight and eat in the morning with muesli- Puree and fill a pre-baked shortbread pastry flan- Puree with yogurt or cream fo make a peach/plum fool- Dip them in honey and fry in a non-stick pan- Thaw the peach slices in white wine and eat them as they are- Or with vanilla ice-cream- or just let imagination run riot!-

If you make tart get a tub of kaymak and don't forget to invite me! :D

How about cakes and puddings, Sam.

Thaw them, mash them up and put in a basic cake recipe, maybe add some spices.

Upside-down puddings - although you WILL NEED custard, so get some when you go back to Wales at Xmas!!hmmmm xxxWhat about nuts/seeds in or on top before you cook the cake?

I have found a few cake recipes such as upside down peach & plum cakes, plum cobbler :S peach or apple crumble. I just didnt know if they are classed as 'fresh fruit' once thawed. Haha I am new to this cooking business!!

Sunny of course I will invite you. Will give these cakes a go this week. I have enough peaches and plums in packets in my freezer for the whole of Çeşme to have a cake of their own I think!! xxx

Re custard lots of places here sell custard poder if not use the local vanilla pudding powder instead. Also plum or peach crumble.

Where are they ? I've never been able to find custard powder in Tansaş or Migros (or anywhere else) ? That vanilla pudding powder doesn't seem to have any vanilla taste at all...... I'm after the real stuff, which is supposed to be a bright yellow colour, hehe ! Posted Image

I've never noticed custard powder here, I usually bring some back form the UK or make a sweet white sauce with mısır nişastası (corn starch) to which you can add vanilla flavouring and some yellow colouring if you wish.

Here's how to make it. This is the method I used a couple of times when I had the patience instead of just pouring cream all over it. I used ordinary whole milk fresh from the cow.