Gozleme

Rate this topic

Meral

Returning from the local village shop the other day, I happened upon a group of local women in my friend Ayşe' s front garden, preparing a batch of gözleme. They immediately welcomed me in, to observe & enjoy, and eagerly agreed to be photographed.

There were about 10 in the group, in a wonderfully organized working pattern -- 2 women preparing balls of flour, 3 rolling out with long thin wooden rods and one baking them on a low wide round stove with rounded top. The bread were so thin they could be cooked for just a moment on each side, turned with a long stick. The stove was fueled with wood & sticks, and had its own chimney. They had prepared the dough using 10 kilos of flour, with nothing but salt and water added. Great fun to watch & learn, and of course we all enjoyed çay with gözleme afterwards ! Posted Image

Sorry, forgot to add that they also made some filled ones, and they were delicious ! I must say they did make a huge stack of gözleme and these are apparently stored and used as necessary. To use they spray with water and warm on a grill, to taste as if freshly made.

post-1063-0-64605000-1319905840_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-26584500-1319905927_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-65743800-1319906029_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-53100600-1319906337_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-14581900-1319906407_thumb.jp

You told Sam and I about these when we had tea and cake at your house on Friday so it's good to see the pictures. :)

Gözleme is just one of the many things I want to try someday Posted Image But I don't know if I could do it justice.

I wouldn't bother Reyhan, it takes years to get anywhere near competent and they are so cheap to buy from ladies like these. :)How about giving us some of your favourite American recipes?

Your pictures look just as good as you described Meral!! Gözleme are one of my favourite foods. mmm may buy some tomorrow for lunch, I could make them myself if I bought the yufka but they are never the same as the women who make them so good!

Thank you for sharing Meral xxx

Thanks ladies ! I wanted to put more photos up but can't ....... seems I've used up my image quota (??) :(Not only that but the screen goes grey & freezes up -- I have to close the whole window & open a new one ! Is this a problem, mods, or is it just me ? :(