Sign in to follow this  
BEVLEE

Help Need To Get Cat Home!

Hi everyone,

Hope all is good with you. Have now been in Fethiye since June, what joy. Am going back to England in Jan 2012, after new regs come in regarding quarantine rules. My sister's cat Dylan who flew out last Nov via Petair and Thomas Cook needs to return with us,have discovered that getting him to Turkey easy, getting him home not so easy!!!

He has all the requirements ie. Rabies vacc & booster, blood tests, pet passport, microchipped basically everything he needs to legally be allowed back into England.

Our problem is finding a good pet carrier. Have tried Sumaman twice now and they have not e-mailed or been of much help! its put my sister off using them as she has lost faith.

Can anyone help with this one! Petair can't! the vets here have been fantastic and are helping with the appropriate export paperwork and tests etc, need to know if anyone has any idea's. Our lovely Turkish neighbours have said they will use him to round up their sheep (dylan is 8kg)!! big kedi! but we love him and he must come home with us.

I appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Thanks guy's.

Love Bev xx (& Dylan)

When you say a 'Pet Carrier' do you mean a box to put him in or a company to fly him? I've seen plastic pet carriers for sale in Izmir and at Vets I think.

Hi Sunny, Sorry didn't make myself clear, we have the original box he flew out in & that will be fine. Its a trustworthy pet company that we need. Having said that we had an e-mail yesterday saying that 'Thomas Cook' had applied for a visa to fly pets out of Turkey, they are awaiting feedback and will know more by November. So it may be that we can cut out the middle man (and save cok para) and organise most of it ourselves! fingers crossed.At this stage any help would be great. Thanks Sunny. Love Bev xxx

Hi Bev, lovely to hear from you again. It seems you have been having a good time and want to hear all you adventures, well probably not all of them as I maybe Posted Image hehehe, on another post.

I looked at the Defra website last night several times. I'm almost 100% positive from what I read that you actually won't need an agent. The reason I say this is firstly there is no mentioned of it anywhere in the new regulations that will come into place in January 2012. I think that agents are only a requirement when the quarntine laws are in place. If you took Dylan to the UK before January 2012 it's my understanding that you would need an agent but not after that date.

So I think, could be wrong, that provided that you have complied with all that they asked for and the all the necessary documentation is in order that you would be able to take Dylan on the same flight as you and your sister. Unfortunately is sounds like Dylan may be too large to fly in the cabin and will have to go as cargo.

I looked at the listing for unlisted countries as to who could fly Dylan out of Turkey, as of last night nothing is shown for Turkey at all at the moment. However it is a live document and as they say it is updated as and when any changes occur. I would think that along with TC all the big airline companies that operate between Turkey and the UK will be applying as well.

Unfortunately it looks like it's a wait and see game at the moment as to which airline you will be flying with. Posted Image

Hi Abi, thank you very much. Yes it seems like a wait and see situation but l am sure it will be ok, Dylan loves it here so not sure he will be too pleased to leave!!Apologies for not being very active but had a few issues getting on line. I look forward to posting soon. As for the 'romantic' stories, l have to say reading the posts as l have done over the months, l'm happy to say l have stuck to the good Turkish food & lovely places to travel!!! l know, what a wimp! haha... take care Love Bev xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks KKW, (sorry for delay in response) yes we have thougth of that & it may be the only way! just waiting to see what happens with the visa situation concerning Thomas Cook carrying pets from Turkey, should know by mid Nov?Had his first bird kill this morning - YUK lucky for me l knew nothing of it... thinks he's one of the lads now.. Bev xx

Going over to Rhodes would be a good idea normally but I've heard that with all the strikes going on in Greece a lot of ferries from Turkey keep getting cancelled at short notice. Just be careful if you decide to go to Greece as I would think you should think of going a couple of days before the flight just to make sure you get there, Hopefully it won't be a problem anyway if TC and probably others get the go ahead.