Turkish Food - Just Kebaps?

Rate this topic

Lizaliza

I adore Turkish food and it always amuses me when people think Turkish food is just kebaps! There's such a wide variety of Turkish dishes - fried Mackerel sandwiches stuffed with pine nuts, walnuts and herbs, mussels stuffed with pilaf, mezzes of wild greens, warm, nutty hummus, fried aubergines and pomegranate molasses (delicious!), not forgetting delicious sweets flavoured with flowered waters, rose syrups and honey.

There's also a wealth of fresh herbs, nuts and spices - including seriously hot pickles!Posted Image

Something I use liberally is kirmizi biber (Turkish chilli flakes) I love their smoky, spicy taste and have developed a Turkish tongue for sure!

Has anyone tried (or made) fried Mackerel sandwiches Turkish style? It's one of my favourite dishes and supposedly keeps you young, healthy and fit! Added bonus!Posted Image

L x

Mackerel is one of the best fishes to BBQ because it is oily. I think most of it is imported from Norway.

Sam you are the second person I know who is allergic to fish. My neighbour loves fish but is violently ill after eating it. The only way she can safely eat it is when it has only been out of the water for a couple of hours.

I know people can be allergic to shellfish, but I din't know you can be allergic to fish itself! What a shame living in Turkey with the lovely fish they have out there, do you ever wish you could eat it Sam?Posted Image Fish done on the bbq is gorgeous too! Sunny, I'm like you, I much prefer barbecued or grilled fish but what I do with Mackeral is I dry fry it on a griddle, so it comes out barbecued with blackened ridges along it. I don't know how griddles work but they do seem to make food taste barbecued!

The Mackerel is imported from Norway, but the Turks just seem to love it! It's ever so good for you too isn't it? And incredibly tasty filled with pine nuts, walnuts, herbs and lemon slices, then eaten as a sandwich.

Lx

'Don't knock it 'til you've tried (sic) it !'

You should address that to the person who wrote the article.

Don't knock it 'til you've fried it!Posted Image Only on a griddle though!

Wild greens (or organic if you like) are often used in Turkish cooking, but it's true you won't find them in many restaurants. Nettles is another wild green that's quite popular. Samphire (in my opinion) only goes well with fish, and you can find it in certain restaurants, but I wouldn't pair it with Mackerel - I prefer to stuff mine with pine nuts and lemon. Delicious!

L x

I'm missing a treat with these Mackerel and Pine nut sarnies. They sound like the future. I've never seen one being sold. Only the bog standard balik ekmek... can someone point me in the right direction.

My kitchen!

Seriously, you can find stuffed Mackerel in certain restaurants, you wouldn't find them on an open stall or anything like that!

You can also ask the chef to prepare it that way, and if he has the ingredients he'll always do it for you. You have to ask nicely thoughPosted Image

L x

JUST kebabs????? Even if you only ate kebabs, there's such a great variety of them. My absolute favourite is Iskender.....omg my mouth waters when I think of one!!

I'm also partial to an Iskender and I enjoy an Adana and Sis too, but a lot of people outside of Turkey think of Turkish food as simply Doner Kebabs - and that's it! I've met quite a few people who assume that's all there is to Turkish food, and even believe pitta bread is Turkish, when in fact I don't recall ever seeing pitta in Turkey!Posted Image

I had a wonderful kebap in Turkey, which I had a few times, but I've forgotten the name of it. They poured bubbling melted butter on top of it (it wasn't Iskender - though similar in some ways) and was hugely popular with the locals. Incredibly cheap too! I'll have to try and find out the name of it - it's just whooooshed straight out my head! It was amazingly tasty, and the hot butter took on a nutty taste which really set the kebap apart from any other! Do you know the one I mean?

L x

It says "Mezzes of Samphire and Wild Greens" Don't knock it 'til you've tried it !

Samphire grows in abundance along the coastline of Turkey - you can even go and pick it yourself! Cheaper than chips!

Here's a recipe for Turkish Mezes which includes Samphire salad.

http://www.cookturkishfood.com/2010/07/turkish-mezes-samphire-salad-deniz.html

Do try it, Istanbul, you don't know what you're missing!Posted Image

Lx

Sunny I cant eat most fish. But I can eat Tuna from a tin but that has to be in olive oil not brine, I can also eat calamari in batter and scampi. Oohhhh and fish fingers too haha.

I dont like the smell of fish either so I dont think I would eat it if I could.

The 1st time I met Harun's parents and I stayed with them for 2 weeks, one night they asked me if I wanted fish for dinner and I didnt think that they wouldnt have fish in batter like in the UK which I can eat sometimes but I just come in little rashes and scratch all day haha. So when I walked into their kitchen and see 4 massive fish with the eyes, tails, mouth etc looking at me, I was nearly sick there and then but I was too embarrassed to say anything and I just thought 'aw they will take the eyes etc out of the fish' ... but no!! I was served with a plate with a massive fish that could still look at me even though he had been cooked. I was polite and tried 1 or 2 fork fulls but even that make me have a rash all on my face and arms within 5 mins.

Thankfully that was my last night of the 2 weeks and by the time I flew from Dalaman to Bristol got the train to cardiff and was met by my mum in the station I was so ill, I got rushed to hospital and had to stay in for 3 nights.

Sue, I am also a big fan of İskender Kebab mmmm I actually had 1 yesterday in İzmir :D woohoo!!!Posted Image

xxx

That journey must have been a nightmare for you. Poor old Sam. I too like Iskender kebab once in a while.