Rate this topic

There have been some disastrous relationships between foreign women and the Turkish men they've met on holiday. It's the women who end up suffering as a result, even after the "relationship" has gone on for some time. Yes, some of these romances work out well, and I'm definitely not trying to paint all Turkish men with the same broad brush.Remember this, ladies: The learned (and practiced) skills which make a man a good barman, animator, or waiter, the skills which enable him to convince passers-by to eat their restaurant are the same skills which make him good with women.Turkish Men – Why Your Holiday Romance Is Doomed

Well done Ken, good article.

Well found Ken. A sensible warning to all those who are thinking of starting a relationship with someone of a different country, culture and religion.

Well Done Ken on finding that article. When I first saw the title I thought here we go another article painting all turks with the same brush but it was actually supporting the turks :DI hate reading stories in a magazine or on the net about a failed relationship with a turk as I know I will sign into facebook or msn and have at least 1 person send me a link to the same story asking if Im sure my husband isnt the same as the person in the story. There are so many negative stories out there and most of the time its the womans fault for being so gulible and naive, also there are men and women all around the world who are heartbreakers or love rats not just turks.:D thanks for the post Ken x

''If you both want to take the romance further, then one of you has to move countries.''and this would be discussed fairly early on. If he seems not too bothered about the UK thats often a good thing...in my opinion.I think many women are crap at finding reliable men anyway and i think they blame the foreign factor because they cannot admit they were foolish and didnt read the signs for just a casual fling or the like. Love rats or sh*g mysters are everywhere i think its a coverup to blame a holiday/nationality for bad selection skills or indeed wearing heated blurred sunny loved up beer goggles...my advice dont be drunk when you meet the love of your life and see evidence of them work their *rse off for a living and talk about their family. I have little sypathy for crappy holiday romance moaners i have more sypathy for those who married people under genuine terms on both sides and after a long term relationship the man (maybe woman) changes or becomes something they were not originally in a bad unnacceptable way or literally runs off. thats unfortunate and out of peoples hands sometimes whereas being a fool in the selection process means you should try having a good look at yourself 1st too.takes two to tango as they say.

I think it takes around a year to get to know someone well enough to know if they would be a good spouse. You should see them when they're having good times and bad, when they're angry, jealous, sad, and in those circumstances in which a person's true character comes out. You can't do that with a two-week holiday and internet chat.

I may be cynical, but I've never believed in the love at first sight malarkey.Everyone I know of who has fallen in love in an instant, and it's the best thing ever, eventually come down off their cloud.I also don't believe that there is only the one soulmate for us out there in the big wide world.What I do believe is that there are lots of people you can meet who you are compatible with on the surface, but circumstances can dictate whether it's a long term viable proposition.No such thing as perfection, just bloody hard work and a lot of give and take.Then you can build on creating a relationship that can work.

That was really good article and as someone already said full of common sense. Shame that it wont't stop girls to fall in love and slag off all Turkish men because their relationship didn't work after one week holiday. Though I think there's nothing wrong with holiday romances if you remember that what happens in holiday stays in holiday. Time to move on when airplane takes off.

Well said Fen - what happens on holiday stays on holiday ... that was my exact thought 4 years ago until I got home realised my heart was still here in Turkey, packed up my things and thought if I want this to work I have to do something about it and 4 years together 3 years of marriage we are still very happy and I havent regretted a thing. :D xxx

hahah well there must always be some exceptions to the rule! Posted Image and I'm very glad to hear that you were able to make it work, that really shows there's also real love over there. And you, you sound very brave woman! Packing up and leaving your home just to figure out if love works... must have been tough times!

Was very tough I was 19 at the time with a very good job that I knew if it all went wrong I would never be able to go back to my dream job but moving here was a chance in a lifetime. If it didnt work then I could say at least I tried but I promised myself I would never go back home and talk about these turkish men like they are the only guilty ones. I entered this relationship with my head screwed on and thankfully I have been very lucky for it to continue with no problems :D xx

Who is the chap in the bandana? İf not for Hubby would be very happy to have my heart broken or a little battered by him.Seriously unless you are 14 you must see it comming and taking anyone who tells you such guff(your are my destiny - İ have waited all my life for you - Trust me İ really have fallen for you etc etc) on having been with a number of hours or days speaks for its self.

Who is the chap in the bandana? İf not for Hubby would be very happy to have my heart broken or a little battered by him.

It's me in my day job! Posted Image

Thanks ken thats was great to rea. It is so sad seeing people go through this, and i have seen quite a few friends experience exactly this living in a tourism area myself, they think that he loves her and will be with her but then wont tell his parents or family he is with her and shes not even aloud to visit his home.Although as samantha says it happens everywhere and not everyones experiences are the same, Ive been with my fiancee 2 years now and will get married in 6 months time, we have lived together for almost a year and so for me i think i am a lucky one, however i along with so many people whos relationships are real have the problem with people slating turkish men, saying the horriblest things. There has been many an occasion that someone who doesnt know the facts or business believe they can say nasty and hurtful things just because of what these people post online! x

I live in Istanbul and currently on vacation in Yalikavak. I went out with my buddies for couple of drinks last night and there were 5 British girls sitting next to our table. They were young and surely didn't know about some rats.The owner of the bar and the other waiters were constantly serving them free drinks and as girls were getting more drunk, the rats were coming closer. The owner told one of the girls that he loved her and the girl seemed to buy that(by the way, did i mention that the guy is married ? :)) I really felt bad & warned one of the girls to be careful when I had the chance. Luckily one of the girls' parents came to the pub and saved the girls.If a waiter and/or animator and/or bartender is getting you free drinks, beware! They are not getting you drinks just because they enjoy your conversation.

The trouble is most of the women who get chatted up don't read this forum until it's too late! :(

Rubbish Article. İ don't understand why anyone would think that some young, snake hipped and drop dead hansome turk would not fall instantly in love with me.Judge for yourself. İ am a middle aged model built for comfort not speed . Ok the paint works a bit scratched and the headlights are getting a bit dim but the rear fenders still in good shape apart from some wrinkles in the chrome. İn fact the birthday suit is in remarkable nick for the vintage may need a quick press to remove some of the creases but looks good in candle light or viewed through a filter or in fact through a fine duvet cover. Get in line romeos as the song says ''İf you want it here it is better hurry cos it's going fast (well reasonably fast unless there's an incline)