Sign in to follow this  
saffron

Leaving Fethiye

Rate this topic

Well, I'm not in Fethiye now..I lived there for almost five years..I liked that still-traditional town, despite all the money flowed into owing to tourism, it was a typical farming zone.I spent most of my time among farmers, actually I studied farming in Fethiye, hoping to grow tomatos in a greenhouse. Whenever I met a group of expats , at a cafe or somewhere similar, or on the road, I just felt like saying 'hey,do you know TC? maybe we already met there! But actually I never attempted to say something like that, I just walked away thinking that I would be passing by someone I know..I moved to a town of Burdur, to study herbs used in herbal medicine. Maybe one day I would turn back to Fethiye..

Well good luck in your new place Saffron and I hope you have success with your herbal medicine studies. I also hope you are going to continue with Turkey Central.

Good luck from me too Saffron and hope that you will still have time to help out on the forum. Not only will you help people out with their Turkish in time you will be able to recommend herbal remedies a well:)

Thank you..I feel everything will go well..Yes, sure I will continue with TC ..and yes, I will definitely write about herbs: earlier I was writing about plants, vegetables, etc, only when a question was directed,now I hope I can compile an interesting list and write it with Turkish names..

Actually I was thinking to write about herbs available at 'attar's , with Turkish and English names, but I just couldn't decide on the format:A whole subforum maybe? or different posts,or in an alphabetic list? Which format would be good enough for reference? After I decide on the format, I will start!

I would love to see a list like that too, particularly if it mentioned how each herb or plant should be used and what it can do for you. I know sage is good for the brain but that's about my limit at the moment.Edit: Definitely enough information for a sub forum I think.

Traditionally, many herbs are believed to cure many ilnesses. Naturally, some of these believes are baseless. The first task is to sort out the material..But there is an incredibaly large potential in the Turkish flora..

I hope you have a very interesting and fruitful time studying the medicinal use of plants.To have you make a sub forum with information would be wonderful and so interesting, but a mammoth task . Good luck in your venture. :)

I agree a sub forum would be ideal and the name of the herb in Turkish and English plus a short description of what the benefits are, side effects and doseage. Crumbs having written that it would take a long time but maybe if you do something like that you could publish it. People seem to be more and more interested in herbal medicines these days and I'm sure you would do well. :)

Thank you all, for your kind support..Yes, Dande, Burdur-Isparta is an interesting zone for those who are particularly interested in aquatic ecosystems..I too love the Lake Eğridir..Maybe I would spend a few days there before the winter comes..I'm happy to hear that my language posts are understandable, I think I will still have time to write about the Turkish language.Good idea, KKW! who knows? :uhm[1]: a herb for learning Turkish..If I were in Fethiye a herb called 'saffron' would be suggested.. :lol:

a herb for learning Turkish..If I were in Fethiye a herb called 'saffron' would be suggested.Good one Saffron.

Hi there!! It's me again!!

Years pass by running..I just read my message posted years ago..I was very enthusiastic about herbs and herbal medicine, and I had an intend to start a subforum here..But the amount of information available was quite limited..standardization of names was another problem..Yes, I studied a lot on the subject; though limited in number, I found some reliable sources as well, but when classified in terms of reliability, there is a huge body of information you can obtain but you cannot freely use , if you want to be sure of what you are talking about..So I'm sorry, a subforum was a good project but failed..

By the way, now I'm living in a town of Isparta, I'm ok, and it seems I will be around again..

Great to hear from you again, Saffron! It has been a while, hasn't it? I hope everything is going well for you, it sounds like it is. I'm in Antalya now, and have been for the past two year, after living in Kaş for two years. Still looking for the best place to live (all things considered), now thinking of moving to Fethiye, but that won't be for some time.

Hi Saffron, My wife and I were interested to read your latest post. We are also close to Isparta and love the old herbal shop in the market attached to the new Köy garaj, I am sure that you have found it. The owner has a book on his desk which is ancient and has lots of bits of paper in it to look up remedies for ailments. We have a  garden which is certified organic.

Hi Ken!! yes it's been a while..though sometimes I took a look at the boards without signing in, to check if there was an urgent need for Turkish..

So you are looking for a new place to live in? If you are tired of the places too hot, even hotter than before, I have some good ideas!!

Hi İbrahim Abi! sure I know the herbal shop at the 'Köy Garajı' .. I talked to the owner of the shop, himself, to see if he is in this business following the family tradition or is it just another trendy new shop..Yes, he has some traditional knowledge, that's good..this type of shops are rare now..But during all that time, I could have found the trace of a true herbalist only once..and , unfortunately I couldn't meet him..

It is great that you have an organic garden!!

Hi Saffron, welcome back to TC. Since you started this topic I was inspired to use herbs and spices more, nothing very rare or exotic but it made a difference to how I cook. Thanks for the idea.

So you are looking for a new place to live in? If you are tired of the places too hot, even hotter than before, I have some good ideas!!

Not just yet, although I've checked the housing prices in the property advertising sites a few times. I haven't made a final decision, but it seems like Fethiye is not to big, not to small, and well located. And yes, Antalya is HOT in the summer! Just the reduction in my electric bill from running the air conditioner will cover a good part of my rent in Fethiye, I think!  Anyway it would probably be late next year at the soonest. I'll certainly be asking for a few recommendations. :)