Its A Dogs Life

Mouse64

Hi there :yes3[1]: so to come to my first problem: I have a lovely little dog and when I move to turkey next year she will be coming with me, she is always up to date on her vaccinations, had her rabbis shots, blood test, is micro chipped

Mouse I don't think that things are a bad as they look. I have just looked at the Defra site and this is what it is saying about animals returning from an unlisted country after 31st December 2011. Your dog will not need to go into quarantine if you comply with the requirements listed below. If you are still in doubt I strongly recommend that you contact Defra so that your mind can be put at ease.

What you need to do if you are travelling after the 31 December 2011

Dogs and cats resident in an unlisted country entering the UK direct or via an non-EU country

Under the new rules a pet from an unlisted country, whether directly or via a non-EU country, will be allowed to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the EU entry requirements:

Thank you so much, that sounds much better then the old rules, I even could take her on a shorter visit before going down for good :thmbup[1]: hmmm have to think about if its worth the stress of travel for her? and i can definitely fly with her to visit Germany in the hot summer month.

As far as i know she doesnt even have to do the blood thing again as we will make sure that she gets her rabbis booster before the old one runs out but i will make sure of that with my vet, no reason to risk something now.

So :thankyou: again that is a weight of my mind and about time for Britain to pull their fingers out as so many pets had to suffer before

A lot of people are pleased with the change in the rules as the 6 months quarantine was definitely cruel and stressful for both the animals and the owners. Now it might take a bit of organising but you don't have to be separated form your beloved animals any more. :)

We travel with our dog to Germany every year and apart from the initial set up when she was a pup there is no problem, if all her normal vaccinations are in the pass port all you need to do for travelling in Europe is get them to a vet 24-48 hours before coming back to the UK, the Vet will de-worm them and put some anti flea and tick stuff on them (normally this cost us 18 Euro). On checking in at the ferry or channel tunnel you declare you have a pet, they check the passport and scan the micro chip and hey presto you are back in.

My husband is ex-army and we were stationed in Germany for 20 years,I know that in the past some owners would have rather put their pet down then have them 6 month in quarantine, this may sound cruel but to be honest I would have probably had to make the same choice, we had 2 cats 14 and 16 years old and if my mum wouldn't have volunteered to take them I would have had to stay in Germany or would have had to put them down, they would have never made it in quarantine for 6 month