Summer Ending

Rate this topic

When we went for our 7am daily swim at Ayayorgi this morning, although the air temperature was 25, the water felt distinctly chilly, and at last night's quiz at Ibo's I needed a pashmina as it felt cool. I suppose that summer is coming to an end. Soon there will be mists in the valleys in the mornings and heavy dew. :(I am definitely a summer person and while others are fanning themselves and saying how hot it is, I sitting there quite happily. As I said before my favourite temperatures are 30-35. :)

Anywheere in the mid 30s is fine for me, rather than admit that it is too hot I always think of it as being "lovely and warm". I still sweat but I feel better about it. :animatedwink[1]:

Yes, summer is gradually ending. One of our neighbours is digging over his garden, preparing to plant winter vegies like broccoli & leeks. (BTW, must remember to plant our parsnips soon, Sunny !) It's definitely cooler in evenings but I like it that way because it's more comfortable for sleeping (although I still don't even need a sheet all night). But we can look forward to beautiful autumn days, which is also a lovely time of year ! :)

But we can look forward to beautiful autumn days, which is also a lovely time of year ! :)

The light in the early morning and evening is fabulous for photography too.

Yes, I too have some parsnip and swede seeds that I want to plant.

It always makes me feel a bit sad at the end of summer and the onset of cooler weather. I'll have to get my socks out as it's my feet that feel the cold first! :(

Aw Abi, 2 of my favourite winter vegetables are swede and parsnips!! I really hope my gardening skills are going to work because I will not be a happy bunny if my parsnips dont grow.

A quick question to all you gardeners .. if I put my parsnip seeds in deep plant pots will they grow just as good as in the ground? xx

I think they need quite deep soil Sam, but as I haven't grown any successfully here I'm open to correction. I'll probably see some people who have grown them here tomorrow at darts night so I'll ask them for you. :)

39/ 22 today....got cooler last week then back to hot again , Mugla centrum was v hot today and i thought normally it would be cooler being the higher up part of the Mugla region...nope not today :-( i like the winds that come around sunset but then they fade by about 8? partial respite anyway....

Sunny, myself and Harun may pop in later for a drink aswell. Otherwise we will definatly be there on the weekend to celebrate my birthday :D Lets hope these parsnip do grow as I havent had a parsnip since last xmas when I went back home and I couldnt taste them because I had the flu :( xxxLucid, I am finding

Now you are all making me jealous as I sit here typing whilst looking out at the pouring rain in Surrey - thank goodness I'm back in Side on Wednesday - apparently very hot there today - keep the summer at least another few weeks to give me a chance! I have 7 x friends coming to Side with me this time - some of whom have never been to Turkey before - so keep that sun shining...

We'll do our best Angela. :)Hope you and your friends have a problem-free journey and a great holiday. :)

This "Summer Ending" thread is not unexpected. It's a sort of Turkish thing I suggest.

We have lived here now for over 14 years and on so many occasions when we have experienced a warm April day, one (or three) of our Turkish neighbours have told us winter is over.

Also in late August or early September when the temperature has dropped. we have been 'assured', that summer has finished.

Invariably, they have been wrong. Maybe "One swallow doesn't make a summer" fails to translate well in Turkish or perhaps it's because they have no experience of the inconsistencies of the British weather.

What do you mean "Turkish thing"? I started this thread because I noticed that the sea is distinctly cooler in the mornings and in the evenings I'm tempted to get my socks out as I'm starting to get cold feet. :hysterical[1]:

What do you mean "Turkish thing"? I started this thread because I noticed that the sea is distinctly cooler in the mornings and in the evenings I'm tempted to get my socks out as I'm starting to get cold feet. :hysterical[1]:

My point exactly. But things may improve. At this time of year they often do.

It's got really hot up here as well, was doing some gardening yesterday and had to stop and wait until the sun wasn't shining directly on me as it was too hot and today is very hot as well. Tomorrow I'm going to have to give Max a wash/shampoo in the garden so not looking forward to that as I always end up getting as wet as him.