Sign in to follow this  
withing

Titles

Rate this topic

Interesting points about family and public titles. Hanımefendi/ beyefendi is often used to show exaggerated respect i.e. disrespect for example when a shop assistant is exasperated at the behaviour of a customer: 'If hanımefindi would be so kind as to wait one moment I shall be delighted to refer hanımefendi to the manager'.

A very good observation, Fil..They do this, because, they attempt to equalize their disrespect, anger or any unexpressed feeling or reaction that a shopkeeper cannot show to a customer. If they fail to address the customer properly at that critical point, , the disrespect will grow! Under normal circumstances they may feel free to call somebody teyze, amca, but they cannot dare to call somebody teyze and show anger, at the same time!They do this so often in some circles that soon the words hanımefendi and beyefendi will be considered as offensive!

This is such an interesting topic. I was travelling on a bus one day and a young man got up to give me his seat addressing me as Teyze, I bought some hair colour on the way home and re-dyed my hair, there was obviously too much gray hair showing through.Posted ImagePosted Image

A note pushed through my door last night for an apartment meeting today and it was addressed to - Sayin 2 Nolu Daire Sahibi.

Sounds better than 'Occupier'. :)

". . . or even TWIMC."

OK Dande, explain please. Oh, the penny/jeton has just dropped, 'To whom it may concern'.