Turkish Kebap, Chilli Cous Cous Type Thing.

Rate this topic

We recently holidayed in Turkey and loved every minute especially the food. One thing that I have not been able to figure out was what it was that we ate in a couple of kebap restaurants in Istanbul. It was served up as a side dish with the salads and pitta and seemed to be made of cous cous. Dark brown in colour and very hot. The reason I am asking is that I would very much like to make this myself when I get home. Unfortunately I did not ask for the name at the time as it seemed fairly widespread in the restaurants and thought I would easily be able to find it in cookbooks/online. If anyone could tell me what this is and possibly even point me in the direction of a recipe then I will be very grateful?

Hi Bobbybob, welcome to our forum ! :hos_geldiniz: Sounds like you are describing "kısır", made from hot bulgur (the fine kind, as opposed to coarse) cooked with tomato paste & made up like a salad with lettuce, tomato, onion and lemon juice........ (there could be regional variations). It's delicious -- I've had it in the village, but don't have a recipe unfortunately.

The fine bulgur doesn't actually need cooking -- just add hot water & it will "cook" itself in a few minutes. I hope someone comes along soon with a recipe ...... PS. I've never actually seen proper couscous in Turkey, but you can use it to do the same job as bulgur.

I have found 2 receipes for Kisir.

Kisir is just like tabouleh but much spicier. Made with a red pepper paste, it's almost like couscous, but with a kick. Serve with pita an appetizer, snack, or a small meal. Prep Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 15 minutesIngredients:

Most of the supermarkets sell it. Look out for Irmik or Semolina.

I buy irmik (semolina) all the time and use it to make custard-type puddings, but surely that's not couscous ? Doesn't look at all like the couscous I've seen in the UK ! :confused1[1]: And would irmik be suitable for making kısır ?