Havatmak - Show-Off?

Rate this topic

I heard the word "havatmak" used yesterday and it seemed to mean "show-off" but I can't find it in the dictionnary. Have I missed up the spelling again or is it slang? It was accompanied by some pff-pff-ing which seemed to show some disdain or contempt so I assume it is not a compliment. Thank you for any explanations.

Hi Vic,

it's actually hava atmak (throwing air). It roughly means to show off or to put on airs (so you were fully correct in your guess). You may also come across the noun atmasyon a derivative of atmak and the Turkicized English / French ending -mation (as in automation). It basically beans bullshxt.

This is just my interpretation and it would be interesting to have some input from a native speaker's point of view, but I would say that a yalancı is a common basic liar, be it part-time or full-time, whereas an uydurukçu has more or less, whether intentionally or unintentionally, made a significant career and lifestyle choice.

An uydurukçu is often truly gifted and can be incredibly charming and creative as well. Some of them may actually have no ulterior motives and their intentions may in fact be good in the long term, but their life is a lie and they're full of shxt all the same. They weave, little white lie by little white lie, such an elaborate fantasy world that they themselves may have difficulty at times separating fact from fiction. Whatever their intentions, those around them still get hurt in the end.

By the way, if your Turkish is up to it, or if it's not and you want to practice, keep an eye out for the book “Uydurukçu” (The Dream Weaver / Bullshxtter) by Hürriyet lifestyle columnist Onur Baştürk, a not completely G-rated compendium of, as the author himself claims, bullshxt.

Some other terms to watch out for:

hile (fraud) and it's derivatives hilebaz, hilekâr and hileci (fraudster)

-baz and -kâr (pronounced kyar) are Persian endings indicating a person who plies a certain trade or performs a certain action, comparable to the Turkish -cı, -ci, -cu, -cü / -çı, -çi, -çu, -çü

sahte (forgery / fake, as in fake Rolex) and sahtekâr ( a fake / faker / forger)

üçkağıtçı (someone with three pages) is an especially nasty term. It's sort of a mix of a cheat and a rat and is usually said with particular contempt. I've even heard this one as a qualifier to a person's name. Were you to, for example, say "üçkağıtcı Mehmet" in response, Vic, to the question of “which Mehmet?” I'm sure everyone in the village will know exactly who you mean.

Keep your ears peaked for the term artist (pronounced like the French). The person being referred to is not a good painter, but a con-artist / bullshxtter, albeit a light and airy one perhaps. An artist's works are known as artistlik, occasionally artislik or artizlik, giving us the verb artistlik yapmak as in artistlik yapıyor.

Be sure to refer to a true artist as a sanatçı and not as an artist to avoid inadvertently insulting anyone !

It has been my experience that most people are truly honest and hold those described above with general contempt, but the variety of terms is proof that these bad apples unfortunately do exist. If one gives people a chance, especially in smaller communities, they will usually warn you about these characters. Unfortunately, since most nice people do not really enjoy speaking ill of others, the warnings often come after it's already too late.

Telling anyone to their face that they are any of the above usually leads to all-out hysteria and pandemonium, not to mention attempts at turning the tables. "How can you insult me like this ?! It is all your fault, you are wrong not me, not me ! Çok ayıp ediyorsun ! Çok ayıp ! Blah, blah, blah.

Sound familiar anyone?

Thanks Mimar. You can also use 'hile yapyorsun' to accuse someone of cheating before you draw your six shooter and plug him! :DA shop in town has a sign on his window, 'Hakiki sahte saatlar'. Genuine fake watches.

Thank you, indeed. I will be able to note these down in a separate vocabulary book exclusively for Mehmet the S.!

When Mr. P comes in I will also be able to tell him what "artist" really means since he has said this to many people over the last 3 years as they showed us various examples of their handiwork!! That does explain the startled looks he got back!! :hysterical[1]: