Sign in to follow this  
withing

Psychiatric Help In Turkey?

Rate this topic

I have bipolar disorder, which I was diagnosed with in 1987. I've seen many many many doctors since, and that diagnosis has not changed. It's not all that bad on the spectrum of bipolar, but it can be disrupting. I have a long history of trying to control this disorder, and have finally found something that works to the point I can live what people call a "normal" life. What I mean is, I take medication in order to do things like finish my schooling rather than go to college for two years then suddenly move across country because Arizona sounds like a wonderful idea all of a sudden (yeah, that's happened).

Anyway, I'll need a psychiatrist once I get to Turkey. I plan on bringing three months worth of medication with me, but I'll pretty much need to find someone as soon as possible so I don't run out. These are not new meds, so it should not be difficult to get them. What I need to do is find someone who will listen to me, write my 'scripts and let me out the door. I won't have insurance - I don't have insurance now. So I'm wondering two things - one, how are mental disorders viewed in Turkey, and will it be difficult to find a psychiatrist? two, how much do they usually cost?

Thanks.

Willow sorry to hear of your condition, I must admit until a couple of years ago, whilst I heard the name I didn't have a clue what life could be like for someone who suffers from it. It seems that in last couple of years that a few celebrities have said that they are suffering from it and it is now writen and spoken about a lot.I did a search and found on the American Embassy page of list psychiatrists which may help you. I don't what the cost would be for seeing a psychiatrist here or how mental disorders are viewed in Turkey, hopefully one of our other members can help with that. If you tell what the name of the drug or drugs you have to take I can see how much they will cost as it would be important to know if they turn out to be expensive so that you can calculate that in your budget for your stay here.Psychiatry & PsychologyANN, Guler Address: Bagdat Cad., Tepegoz sok., No: 1/2, Ciftehavuzlar, IstanbulTel : Office: 555 497 2802 - Home: 312 441 1894E-Mail : gulerann@gmail.com Web-site : www.annebaba.info Dr. ARI SARILGAN, G

I'm afraid mental problems, like physical handicaps are generally kept under wraps here and for some reason seen as shameful by a lot of people.Hopefully, one of the people Abi listed will be able to help you. Often medicine can be bought over the counter here without a prescription although things have tightened up over the last two years so if you let us know what medicines you use we can ask at the eczanes.

Mental problems aren't necessarily looked at with favor here either, but I don't care, I'm not going to hide in a closet because someone thinks I should be just like them. It's not I asked to be born with a chemical imbalance. ^_^ Anyway, I take these three meds in very small doses... Bupropion, Topiramate (which are cheap here because I can buy the generic brands), and Quetiapine which is not. Here I have patient assistance where the drug company helps me pay for the expensive one... but if they have the generics there, it shouldn't be that expensive.

OK, I've made a note of them and will see what they say at the local pharmacies.

I have looked to see if your medication is listed on this link Click here unfortunately I can't see any of them. It may just be that the drugs are called by different names here. I'm wondering if you should talk to your doctor and see if he can make enquiries as to what they are called or maybe get in touch with one of the doctors on the list and ask them as they have given email address's, just a thought.

Thanks Vic and good to know. I must admit that I only had a very quick look and was thinking that Willow would probably spend more time investigating.

Thanks, y'all. I'll check the list out. The names I gave are the generic names for the drugs because I thought they might be marketed differently overseas. The brand names here are as follows: Bupropion = Welbutrin, Topiramate = Topamax and Quetiapine = Seroquel (as Vic mentioned).I'll certainly get in touch with the doctors listed and see how much everything costs without insurance. Thanks again.