Driving From Europe To Turkey

Rate this topic

Hello. I will go in a few weeks from Europe to Turkey. I would like to know which is the best route from Istanbul to Tasucu. I have thought of the route Istanbul-Ankara-Konia-Karaman-Mut-Silipke-Tasucu. Is this ok? If no please recommend me something else. Are there any dangers on the road such as criminals, thiefs or something because i heard a lot of stories.:)...

Thank you very much.

Google Maps gives you a route, see this LINKDoubtful that you'll have any trouble with thieves but just lock the car if you leave it to be on the safe side.

Nice journey you are doing, I'd enjoy that drive myself. Is it Cyprus you are heading for?

Every summer I read one or two stories of cars being held up on the road in the middle of the night. As I recall most were in central or northern Anatolia on roads that were major but quiet at night. There was one case that happened on the TEM around istanbul, that one sounded completely crazy. Of course, you never know whether it really happened as described in the paper. Was the car carrying a lot of money, or somethin valuable, or did they have enemies, for example. If I was doing a drive like that and had to carry a lot of money with me, I think I'd probably go through the most remote areas in the day, or maybe find some friendly lorry drivers to tag along with. I wouldn't worry at all until I got East of Ankara, though. But it is very difficult to know for sure.

Yes I am heading for Cyprus. What about the east of Ankara? Is that a dangerous zone? Is it safe to travel by day between Ankara and Tasucu? And what about stopping on the road? Do we have to stop around police? Is it safe? Who can stop you there? Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

I would only worry a bit East of Ankara at night because that is where the newspaper reports of hold-ups occurred. But I have driven all over Turkey at all times of the day and night and never had any difficulties, and the same is true for most people. It depends how careful one wants to be. I have never had any trouble with the police in Turkey, either, the police in general is a disciplined force, in my experience. I can speak to them in Turkish, of course, which helps, and usually I have mrs fil (Turkish) by my side, which helps even more. I have never had any trouble because I always drive at the speed limit, make sure everyone is using their seatbelt and I would recommend that as the best way to avoid any difficulty with the police. There are lots of radar traps, and if you go too fast you will pay a fine. The level of fines is clearly defined and they do give receipts. Basically if you don't break the law you won't have any trouble, and you'll enjoy the journey more (fantastic scenery) and it will be safer. Accidents, especially people overtaking in the opposite direction are the main hazards, and you need to be very alert about that. What country plates will your vehicle have? That may make a difference in how you are seen by others. But I would say relax and enjoy the journey, you won't be going through bandit country at any stage of your journey. Some people love to wind others up with scare stories, I would ignore them.

I would say your original route is safe. It is a much-traveled highway, one of the main arteries. The alternative you ask about is much more picturesque and touristic. Pamukkale is beautiful, and there is a lot to see on the road along the coast to Tasucu. Lots of beaches fromn antalya to anamur, lots of historic sites in Antalya, alanya and Anamur. After Anamur the road gets decidedly hairy, though. The road winds incredibly with hairpin bend after hairpin bend. The road teeters on the cliff edge and as you go round some bends you can see the waves breaking on the rocks a hundred or so feet below. If you want to get to Cyprus as quickly and easily as possible with the minimum of distractions then your original route is much better. I would go by the original route. In fact, the buses from Antalya to Adana that go through Konya and follow your original route are preferred by many people traveling that way. All this talk of roads is making me want to get on one.

A friend of mine nearly escaped a serious accident on the highway between Konya and Antalya recently when he hit a spot where the roadway had been filled with gravel, apparently part of a "works in progress". It was night and the site was not marked. He nearly lost control of the vehicle. A short time later he heard on the news that four people later died at the same spot, apparently only hours after he had passed through.

That being said.... try to travel during the day, keep your eyes on the road, observe the speed limit, keep a safe distance from the car in front of you and wear your seat belts. Remember that using your cell phone while driving can get you a fine.

If you must travel at night, four eyes up front are always better than two. You never know what might suddenly appear in the darkness. I've come across cows, horses, foxes, people walking in the road, people biking in the road, stalled trucks and slow tractors (all unlit), temporary sign posts in the middle of the road, shipping crates ..... I think you get my point.

Not all drivers have reflective warning triangles, so be wary of stones placed in the roadway, sometimes in a line, sometimes in little heaps, as a warning of a stalled (likely unlit) vehicle ahead.

Be particularly cautious in the early morning hours just before and after dawn as this is often the time when drivers who have been traveling overland through the night are at their most tired and may doze off before your eyes. We've woken up several with a toot of the horn. Once a driver not all that far ahead suddenly went off the road in front of us - no chance to wake him, luckily he was only bruised up a bit.

Although I've heard of robberies through hearsay where someone fakes an accident then robs you when you stop, I think these are rare, especially along the major highways.

On major routes you'll find rest stops / complexes with shops / WCs / dining facilities etc.. Although some may be announced on signs, not all are. Watch out for the word