Sign in to follow this  
Heartled

Mailing Times (Turkey - England)

Rate this topic

Hi everyoneMy boyfriend sent me a letter from Turkey about 2 weeks ago I think and I haven't received it yet. He said that he was told it would take 4-5 days to get to England however I have heard it can take up to 2 months even and that sometimes letters and packages are opened or destroyed and stuff like that. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of Turkey/England mail and when you reckon I can expect to receive the letter if at all.Thanksss :)

Usually mail, as you said, takes four to five days but if it was a fat package and looked as though there might be something else inside then it could well have disappeared. We have all experienced erratic mail, so it might turn up but on the other hand it might not.

Our experience is that mail from Turkey to the UK can anything from 3 days to 3 weeks. Mail from the UK to Turkey can take upto 3 months to arrive.

Can agree on this. In our case parcels from the UK just don't arrive unless they are sent from a company not a private address. My family sent 11 parcels for Christmas (in spite of my telling them not to) and nothing has arrived yet. I say "yet" because last year out of the 10 parcels sent one did arrive; sent on the 12th December, it arrived on 25th April!The only excepetion is books which do seem to arrive although again completely erratic mailing times.I now understand not only are there no queues in the Post Office apart from the Western Union queue, but the place is usually deserted. Most people use Kargo or DHL to send important packages (cheaper than DHL in Europe)

Ah, it was a gift, not just a letter. In that case the chances of it turning up I'm afraid are slim after two weeks. Hope I'm wrong.

Gifts have a high chance of getting stopped by customs so you might want to ask him what it was he sent just incase it have got stopped. Also parcels do normally come with a reciept from the post office.xxx

Problems with the PTT are a constant source of stress ! I'd been waiting for my new debt card to be sent from AU. My old one expired, I still hadn't received it. I had to skype them & got it cancelled & a replacement on its way. Still nothing after 2 weeks. Our village PTT suggested I check with the main PTT in Cesme, and after phoning them yesterday morning, the letter miraculously appeared in our postbox that afternoon -- coincidence or what (delivered after 6 weeks)? Alas, the card was the first one, now cancelled ! I'm sure if I hassle them every day, the new one will be delivered faster ! Burasi Turkiye ! :crying[1]:

Meral, one of my neighbours had the same problem. He is a british man in his late 60s married to a turkish woman and he was waiting for some docs from the UK to arrive that contained his birth cert, proof of divorce blah blah blah so he could get married. These documents were sent in March and they finally arrived after 15 phone calls to the Main PTT in Menderes last week. This couple had to change their wedding date 4 times and each time his family had to cancel their trip to turkey! xxx