No Hospital Charges For A Suicide Attempt Case?

Rate this topic

Hi, So 4 days ago a close friend tried to commit suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills found over the counter in Turkey. She fainted and was almost going to get into a coma before we took her to the hospital. She spent 3 days in the I.

C.

U. (admitted immediately)... Strange thing is that we were expecting a massive bill... but we had taken her to a government hospital (devlet hastanesi) which are much cheaper than the private hospitals but not free, of course... but the hospital didnt charge anything for 3 days in the I.

C.

U... how come? In the UK, it would have been 3000 pounds or more for the same services ...

We asked the staff and at the reception why her whole treatment was free... and they kept saying a particular term...under which all treatments are free ... it was not "ACIL" or emergency.. because that much Turkish I know... Can someone point/say that term for me? It is strange because our friend isn't even Turkish... so what health programme is it in Turkey under which treatment of attempted suicide by foreigners is treated for free/by the Turkish Government?

Im just very curious :P thanks everyone :) by the way, my friend is doing much better now.

I do know the hospital has to by law report any suicide attempt to the Govt offices. So it may fall under a mental health clause. A Friend also tried to kill themselves here, it was reported and they had to go on a Govt care and mental health assessment. Did they take details, passport details and the like, you may not have heard the end of it, especially if they were foreign.

Well yeah, they just took the passport number.. but that's it.. no questions were asked :S And the next day she was visited by a psychiatrist for like 10 minutes ... and yeah, the police took the phone number, address and info of her roommate. But nothing was said about whether she will have to go in for an assessment or something. And neither the police nor the hospital officials have contacted her roommate since that time... she didnt have a phone. So we assumed it was the end of the communications :PIs committing suicide a crime in Turkey? A Turkish speaking friend of ours said it was, but Im not sure... In US, in some states it is a crime.

Please people, throw in whatever info you've got

i dont know about it being a crime but in our turkish side of family/friends convo/circle its considered a sin....i hope she recovers well and i would imagine as said previously it probably wont be just forgotten financially or otherwise but i would be interested to know what support is available to her short and long term and what other follow ups exist on the part of the Turkish authorities. Good luck in helping her recover and i hope whatever exists is to help not hinder recovery...but that in itself could prove a vast minefield with UK/Turkey ideas being different perhaps?

Is committing suicide a crime in Turkey? A Turkish speaking friend of ours said it was, but Im not sure... In US, in some states it is a crime.

Please people, throw in whatever info you've got

Well, successful suicides can't be prosecuted of course, but I don't know the legal standing of attempted suicide. I would've thought the psychiatrist should have done more (probably just got enough info to file a report to police or whatever).

It's been said that a suicide attempt is a cry for help, so probably your friend is in need of some ? I hope with support from friends & family she can regain her will to carry on living. :)

Ieezar, ı am so sorry to hear about your friends attempt. I have recently lost a very good friend who took his own life which is so painful I cant explain but at least your friend now has the chance to get the help they need.

Speaking to my husband, he said suicide is not a crime but is a very big sin for some people. My husband also seems to think that as its her 1st attempt no further enquire (if thats the right word to use) would be carried out, but he isnt sure as its not a very open subject here in turkey.

Glad to hear your friend is getting better. xxx

Hi Ieezar,A topic very close to my heart (unfortunately)! sounds like your friend needs help and support. Is this due to boyfriend trouble? and how old is she? l ask these questions because things can seem very traumatic when you split with someone you love & feel like life has no purpose anymore.

I lost a very dear friend (male) whom l had grown up with and he hanged himself over a girlfriend who made his life a misery.

This may have been a cry for help, usually if someone really wants to end their life, there is no warning - they seem happy and then it just happens out of the blue.

Tell your friend she is loved, l know one thing that struck me hard, its the people that are left behind, the hurt, guilt, could l (they) have done something to prevent this! l have been a close witness to the after effects of suicide and it just goes on and on, there is no real end or release for those who are left living!! She may need help in learning coping skills when things get tough, dont we all, but some more than others. Make it clear that life would not be the same without her (and keep a close watch) dont be complacement, l wish l hadn't.

Bev xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ieezar,A topic very close to my heart (unfortunately)! sounds like your friend needs help and support. Is this due to boyfriend trouble? and how old is she? l ask these questions because things can seem very traumatic when you split with someone you love & feel like life has no purpose anymore.

I lost a very dear friend (male) whom l had grown up with and he hanged himself over a girlfriend who made his life a misery.

This may have been a cry for help, usually if someone really wants to end their life, there is no warning - they seem happy and then it just happens out of the blue.

Tell your friend she is loved, l know one thing that struck me hard, its the people that are left behind, the hurt, guilt, could l (they) have done something to prevent this! l have been a close witness to the after effects of suicide and it just goes on and on, there is no real end or release for those who are left living!! She may need help in learning coping skills when things get tough, dont we all, but some more than others. Make it clear that life would not be the same without her (and keep a close watch) dont be complacement, l wish l hadn't.

Bev xx

thanks ripley, yeah it would be terrible to lose her/anyone via suicide :( her father died two months ago..plus a turkish guy broke her heart, so thats the reason... she is better for now ... yeah, we are looking for a good affordable doctor to help her depression... thanks everyone for showing your support