More Sex And Politics

Rate this topic

Abdullah Gul's mother spotted Hayrunissa when she was only 14 and they wanted her then, but her parents said she was "too young" and made them wait until the girl reached the ripe old age of 15..... and evidently she's never looked back !

well i dont know any of our family or friends who married at 15 to have a career or money or a good life, just stress too many kids and poverty issues (even if they are still in love or not) but then who am i to class what a good life is. I guess his wife however married into something altogether far different long term but then did she know it or not then...and did it matter anyway if she married for love!?

Not sure why you would think people should be bothered really, the marriage as was legal and happened 31 years ago. I wouldn't think it would have an impact even if he was standing to be a presidential candidate day, apart from the oppostion party as would be expected, as it happen so long ago unless people are judging a person by todays standards.

What I do find amazing is the fact that even today you can get married in the UK when you only 16 if you have parents or guardians consent and also marry you cousin.

I've noticed a few articles lately referring to the fact that a fair percentage of the population would like the marriage age reduced to as young as 11, as thats what the Koran recommends (this seems to be for girls only). Apparently in Saudi Arabia the age (for girls only again) is 9!!!!! Wondering if the fact the President opted for a child bride himself would make it more likely the Ak party will introduce something like this during their next term of power...due to start in a few weeks.

Islamic thought seems to have some weird views on age limits ...maybe if girls are considered to mature earlier than boys they should be allowed to drink alcohol, vote and drive at an earlier age too??

If they do follow the Korans recommendations here ... 11 to marry, give birth and raise a family responsibly ... but stick with 24 for the alcohol... ....... you're going to have grandmothers who are still too young to drink legally!

I've noticed a few articles lately referring to the fact that a fair percentage of the population would like the marriage age reduced to as young as 11, as thats what the Koran recommends (this seems to be for girls only). Apparently in Saudi Arabia the age (for girls only again) is 9!!!!! Wondering if the fact the President opted for a child bride himself would make it more likely the Ak party will introduce something like this during their next term of power...due to start in a few weeks.

Islamic thought seems to have some weird views on age limits ...maybe if girls are considered to mature earlier than boys they should be allowed to drink alcohol, vote and drive at an earlier age too??

If they do follow the Korans recommendations here ... 11 to marry, give birth and raise a family responsibly ... but stick with 24 for the alcohol... ....... you're going to have grandmothers who are still too young to drink legally!

I think in the smaller village communities it was perfectly acceptable to marry at a young age. My ex married his Turkish wife when they were both 15. They were parents by the time they were 16 and grandparents at the age of mid thirties.

When a prospective suitor appeared and they both looked mature enough the gold bracelets came out. I have a step daughter in Nevsehir who even in this modern age has fought off suitors at 16 because she would like to study more.

Thank God!

9 and 11. What! Its so young. What about education and a childhood. It really makes me sick and I am not against any religion all to its own I say but how can people believe that letting girls marry at the age of 9 is the right thing to do. Also what about equal opportunities between males and females.

In Cardiff where I am from and I know many other places in the world, teenage pregnancy and single mums are on the rise and I cant say that I dont believe in teenagers becoming parents its the way the world is changing and these kids are growing up way to fast these days but so many of these young 15 year olds and yes maybe younger they cant cope with motherhood so can you imagine what a 9 or an 11 year old would be like with married and becoming a mother so young. Makes me sick!!!

I dont think the youngsters enter into a sexual relationship. That would come when they are mature enough. It is only a western idea of careers for women that has seeped into Turkish culture during the last twenty years or so. It was a womans only thought and purpose for life,to marry and have a family.

You cannot go on a holy trip. to Mecca unless your children are settled.

I would like nothing more in life than to sit at home and be a housewife waiting on my husband and children...but I am English and have had to work !lol

".....

I would like nothing more in life than to sit at home and be a housewife waiting on my husband and children..."I did that for a few years when my children were small but was glad when they were old enough so that I could venture into the world again! :DForcing/allowing children to marry is abhorrent to most of us and people who marry girls a lot younger than themselves are little better than paedophiles!

Talking about children marrying, do you remember back in the 90s that case of Sara the 13 year old English girl and her Musa? Her parents were happy to go along with it! But it wasn't a happy ever after story, they split and I believe Sara is bringing up their child in the UK.Sara and Musa

• 1 month later...

There's a difference with young people of similar age marrying and young girls being forced or pressurised into marrying men that are a lot older than they are.