Sign in to follow this  
Fil

Washing Machine Woes

Rate this topic

Our LG intellowasher has given us good service over the last 12 years, but has been making increasingly strange noises over recent months. We called the LG service and they sent someone round. He turned the drum once and announced 'you need a new drum guv, (well, Turkish equivalent of that any way), the office will ring back later to let you know the price, for now you need to pay 30TL which will be credited to the price of the repair work.' He then spent a very long time trying to enter the model number into his hand-held computer. Several hours later the office rang and said they couldn't find the model, did we bring it in from abroad. Hmph. We bought it in Hungary. So they need to import the part specially for us, take ages, and we have run out of clean clothes already. Is it time to buy a new washing machine, or does anyone have any bright ideas as to how we can overcome this problem?

If there is a noise when the drum is turned chances are it's a bearing. At 12 years you're pushing the limits anyway but might be worth having a look in the sanayi to see if there's a guy there, It's not an expensive thing to replace with the right tools but finding it might be a problem.Try THIS and google your serial number or model number.

There does come a time when it's cheaper in the long run to get a new machine but if you can get a reliable local to look at it rather than the official service people, as Cukur suggested you might get if fixed.

Good idea, and Mrs Fil will be happy with a new one eh?

Yes. Or me even. I could never get on with the old one, it has a lot of flashing lights instead of a nice dial that moves round as it goes through the cycle. I hope I can get to the shop today, today is the annual camping expedition, one of the grand finales of the years where mrs fil pitches tents in the garden and her class spend the night under canvas.

Oh Fil, don't be disappointed if you can't get one with a dial that moves round as the wash progresses because I think that most, if not all, are of the press buttons and flashing light variety now.The camping sounds fun for the children. I think Mrs Fil is a very brave lady. Do you get involved with this or do you get the bed to yourself for the night? :D

I just bought one with a dial. Happy days are here again. I am the security for the camping, I stay up all night with my bekçi hat on. But there is cloud and light rain here at the moment, so we may have to put wp the tents indoors. The camp is just one of the rites of passage that mrs fil organises for the children's last year with us. We had a field trip in the forest where the children looked at bugs through magnifying glasses and had to prepare their own camp and picnic in groups and draw pictures of what they could see. And there was the trips to the archaeology museum, the toy museum and the old town museum. At least one a month.

That's fantastic for the kids Fil. I've not heard of Turkish children being given those opportunities before. :)

That's so crummy to have wash machine problems, FIl. I'm glad you got a new one and that you like it, and also found a use for the old one. Now you can see how well the old one keeps up after the repair, which will be interesting. I think after 12 years it's possible that it will be in for more problems, and since it was bought abroad you'll have this problem again. I think you made the right choice to buy another local one. Posted Image