Making Your Own Lavas

Rate this topic

Guest Strawberry

Guest Strawberry

Hi everyone,Has anyone ever made lavas at home? I really love lavas for dipping with mezes, particularly when it's all puffed up piping hot and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it without having to use a wood-fire oven? Thank you in advanceStrawberry

Here's a link (in Turkish)to making them and cooking them in a frying pan. They look very similar to gozleme.lavas-boreg

A very good site, but that recipe uses ready-made lavaş, done up with a cheesy filling (yum), but which one could just as easily do with yufka.

I wonder if Strawberry meant to ask for a recipe to make the actual lavaş itself at home ? :yummy[1]:

From what Strawberry says about it being all puffed up I'd guess this is what she means...post-2722-0-35589500-1304329356_thumb.jp

Guest Strawberry

From what Strawberry says about it being all puffed up I'd guess this is what she means...post-2722-0-35589500-1304329356_thumb.jp

Hi Cukurbagli,Yes, that's excatly the lavas I would like to make!

Thank you, Sunny, for the link to the other recipes - that looks an excellent site.

But I would really love to make the above lavas, and from scratch.....

Strawberry

Well I've never made it Meral so this is a bit of a guess but since it blows up like a balloon I'd say it's probably just yufka bread made in a longer shape, painted with beaten egg, sprinkled with sesame seeds then shoved in a red hot oven and watched carefully. The beaten egg would make sure the air stayed in it to inflate it and help it hold its shape, I,m not sure a conventional electric oven would be hot enough, probably easiest in a hot stone oven. I'm going to build one in a couple of months so once I've done that I'll be putting all sorts of clever-dick recipes on here, watch this space...

I've seen stuff like that at pide/pizza restaurants. they serve it as an alternative to bread.

The flat lavas is the same as tortillas I think Reyhan.

• 1 month later...