Sign in to follow this  
screamlead

Strawberry Wine

Rate this topic

Just started off a gallon of strawberry wine for summer.

Heres the recipe if anyone fancies trying it.2KG Fresh Strawberries (mine cost 10tl locally)1.5KG sugar4.5 ltr waterCitric acid 1 teaspoon (juice of a lemon and orange will do)Yeast nutrient 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon of magnesium sulphate - Andrews to you and me!)Tannin 1 teaspoon (1 small cup of stewed tea will do)Youngs Super wine yeast 1 teaspoon (Allinsons baking yeast will do)1 X Gallon Demijohn - a 5 ltr water bottle will do!

Method = Wash and chop strawberries onto a clean sterilised bucket and pour on the sugar and then 2ltr or 4 pints of cold water. Cover with muslin or clean teatowel and leave for 36 hours to soak - after 24 hours crush the strawberries with a spud masher.

After 36 hours strain into clean vessel or demijohn through muslin then rinse leftovers with another pint or half ltr of water and strain again. Top up fermenting vessel/demijohn/water bottle to the shoulder.

Then add rest of ingredients and give it a shake. Then either add an air lock or some muslin to the top and let it ferment for a couple of weeks - keep at 20c if poss.wait for bubbling to subside or stop then decant into another demijohn to get the liquid off the dead yeasties and 'trub' from the first container and top up with water or leftover juice to the top of the neck. Then leave for a couple of months somewhere cooler until it clears - it will given time. Then bottle it and cork it or stick it in 1 ltr coke bottles. If you want fizzy add a teaspoon of sugar when bottling then leave somewhere cool for 5 days then fridge it for 5 days - hey presto sparkling wine!

Drink chilled and add some ice and or fruit for a scrummy summer drink!!!

Scream

That sounds interesting scream. I bought some lovely strawberries on the market yesterday for 2.50tl 1 kg :)

Sounds simple, I might invest a few lira in some strawberries at the market on Friday. Got most other things, where did you get your Andrews Scream, is there a Turkish substitute?

You can stretch a balloon over the top of a plastic water bottle and stick a couple of pin holes in it to make an air lock.

Sounds simple, I might invest a few lira in some strawberries at the market on Friday. Got most other things, where did you get your Andrews Scream, is there a Turkish substitute?

You can stretch a balloon over the top of a plastic water bottle and stick a couple of pin holes in it to make an air lock.

Yes there is - i found something in the chemists in Fethiye.

MAGNESIUMDIASPORAL300 GRANUL SASE (GRANOOL SACHET)20 IN A BOX - THE BOX IS BLUE/GREEN AND WHITE - use 1 sachet per gallon.

Its the same stuff basically and as a bonus its lemon flavored too - good for after the night before! 1 sachet in a glass of water just like Andrews.

Some of the larger chemists have Andrews as i have seen it - but damned if i can remember where.

Its a yeast nutrient and helps feed the little blighters - but Marmite is also a yeast nutirent too but wouldnt fancy marmite flavoured wine!! ha ha but some peeps have used it in beer as its made from leftover beer yeasties anyway.

Thanks Scream, I'll see my local pharmacy, he's a wonderful guy.

Here we go pics - if it works -

Strawberries and sugar

Posted Image

All mushed up and straining through muslin after a 36 hour soak in 2 lts of water

Posted Image

Now fermenting away merrily

Posted Image

Looks good Scream, can't wait to get my lot going.

Even I might have a go. :D Could you send me a couple of bottles first scream so that I can try it. :hysterical[1]:

Well.........it looks and smells so good - i made another 19ltrs of it! Just starting to bubble like mad now! Roll on summer!