Sign in to follow this  
lostinparadise

Turkish Beef

Rate this topic

In my twenties I lived in Africa and ate plenty of free range steak. After moving to the UK I stopped eating most meat because of the way it is produced there, and never started to eat it again after moving here many years ago.Now feeling I need more good quality protein in my diet, I wondered about the quality of beef here. I notice that 'yerli' beef is actually more expensive than imported, and wonder if that means it is produced by a more expensive free range method.?(I tried searching on google but putting the words beef and Turkey in the same sentence just brought me alot of comparisons between the two types of meat!)If there is free range, or grass fed beef available here, where would be the best place to find it ....supermarket? or a small butchers? or is there no difference?Which cuts would be the leanest? And the Turkish names for them please?

I'm afraid I'm not impressed by the home produced beef which we've had for a number of years due to the import ban after the mad cow scare. It is very overpriced and I doubt that it's grass fed as there is none available for a good part of the year. Also it is often tough and tasteless due to the animals being stressed when they are killed. It's the adrenalin that affects the meat so I've been told.

I was brought up thinking that fish came in breadcrumbs in the freezer, so dealing with genuine fresh fish is not something I know much about. I'm improving - can look it in the eye before eating now, and slightly better at dealing with bones (sometimes need to resort to my reading glasses!). I live in Fethiye which has a large fish bazaar in the town center and have sometimes bought fresh fish there, and eaten it within 24 hours.But I cannot always go into town to buy it. Wondering what the best method would be as an alternative ... i.e. keeping the bazaar fish in the fridge for a few days (as well as eating some straight away) ... (how many days wud be ok?) or freezing it myself (just looked this up on google and it looks like a complex procedure - its advising a 'vacuum sealer' which Ive never even heard of!). My local supermarket is Migros ... but wonder how fresh their fresh fish actually is?

If I buy too much fish for one meal I usually wrap them up tightly in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer and found them still to be alright 2 weeks later. I wouldn't keep them in the fridge for longer than 3 days. Not sure how fresh they would be from Migros.

Hi all,I love meat, although l do not eat much of it (red meat that is) l normally stick to chicken and fish, and living by the sea the fish is always a joy as its fresh. I also only eat free range chicken, that way l know its had a good life and is healthy.I know many people say that they cant afford to buy free range/or orgainic, and l agree its not cheap, l am lucky l only have to think about myself so l can be a bit fussy!However in Antalya the meat was not good!! many of our Turkish friends did'nt eat it at all. We tried it and to be honest it was not good. When we went to Fethiye we were delighted, their markets sold wonderful fresh fruit and veg and also free range pilic, plus we went to the indoor market, which sells everything and the butcher's was a treat. I asked for a pound of steak mince (hot chilli in mind that night) and he asked me to pick out the beef joint!! l was stunned, l picked out a lovely dark joint (not bright red) and he picked it up and put it through the mincer infront of me!!! l have to say that l have never tasted mince/meat of that quality (even in england) no water/fat is was just like cooking steak and the taste was amazing. My sister is still telling me how lovely the meat is and the steaks (she never used to eat red meat).. so there is good meat in Turkey but l quess it may be down to where you live!..I have brought mince since l have been back in england Aberdean Angus, but that doesn't touch what l had in Fethiye!Bev x

I love turkish beef and in general have found it to be of great quality.Its all to do with how long its 'hung' or matured for, as said above, if its for use today you dont want the bright red meat, its too fresh and will be tough..If its steak for today you really want the dark red one, honest, yumm.....(entrecot for sirloin or bonfile for fillet)A tip for steak, take a beef cube and crumb it up into olive oil and marinade your meat in that for a good hour (or longer, a couple days even).... heat dry pan till its smoking... drop in your meat, seal for a min or 2 on each side, then turn down the heat till it cooks how you like it.

That sounds yummy Cleo - will give that one a try with my yorkshire puddings!Bev x