Sign in to follow this  
BEVLEE

Yorkshire Puds

Rate this topic

Hi All,As some of you know l am coming to Turkey in June (Yipee) sorry.. My sister is desperate for my homemade yorkshire puddings to accompany a nice roast beef, roast pots and lovely fresh veg & horseradish sauce, god l am now hungry just writing this!!When l was last in Fethiye l stood in Migros looking at the array of flours available and just picked one out (cant remember the name) the pancakes were great but my puds did sort of end up more like flat breads!!Please can you tell me what the best flour (plain flour) would be to make lovely yorkshire puds..Thank you Bev x

Look for Kekunu with the word Sade (Plain) BUT be aware that in Turkey, Plain Flour means that it hasn't been flavoured with Chocolate, Lemon, Nuts etc. Kekunu means Cake Flour and has an added raising agent.

One of the most popular brands in the supermarkets is

Posted Image

I'll give you a guaranteed recipe for Yorky Puds.

Using a Turkish tea glass to guarantee the right measures.

1 glass of flour

1 glass of eggs (2 medium sized eggs usually fit)

1 glass of half water and half milk

1 teaspoon of vinegar

Salt and Pepper to season

Mix thoroughly in a bowl and stand it in a fridge for at least an hour (it'll keep OK in the fridge for about 12 hours)

Preheat your oven on it's maximum setting and put in a dish or a tray with just a little oil in it. Heat until the oil is smoking and then pour the mixture into the tray or individual sections. Cook for about 20 minutes and you'll get golden brown Yorky Puds. If you can still see oil and the puds aren't browning after 20 minutes, pour it off and give them another 5 minutes or so.

Thanks KKW,I will be buying that & thanks for the receipe too.. you are obviously a fan of the good old yorkshire Pud!Thank you so much.Bev xx

Thanks KKW I'll have a go at that recipe too.Any hints on which flour you find best for making pastry for pie tops, flan bases and the like?

When we're in Turkey I just use the same for flour for everything. The Turks seem to put less additives in their flour than the millers do in the UK so it's far more versatile. By the way I used to be the Distribution Manager, many years ago, for Whitworth Bros. Ltd, one of the biggest flour millers in the UK, so I know a little about the business.

KKW, thank you for that recipe. I already have a recipe for yorkshire puddings from a cooking book but I find they dont raise as much and I also use the same flour as you do for everything! Great minds must think alike!! hehe.Will give your recipe a go as I love my yorkshires and 1 thing I miss the most about living in Turkey is my mums home made yorkshires!!Love Sam xxx