Sign in to follow this  
Vic801

Life Has Its Ups And Downs!

Rate this topic

Had an email from the lawyer yesterday confirming what I had expected, that the expert's report has not yet been filed so the hearing will take place on Monday but will just be to fix the date for the next hearing so we don't need to attend.Since it is snowing heavily now and everywhere is covered in a beautiful clichéd blanket of snow, it is good to know I don't have to go out this week, so I'm making large quantities of hearty bean and cabbage soup and waiting for the next date; is this Turkish fatalism setting in?

Probably should post this in the "Jokes" section. Our court hearing was today so we paid our lawyer to drive 7 hours (2 x 3 1/2 hours) from Ankara for a 2 minute hearing, the experts' report is still not ready. Next hearing 17th April.

Oh dear not again. I rather fancy that the Judge knew this was going to happen when he suggested in January that the p/w be sent to Ankara. What a shame you had already paid the other people. Is there no way your lawyer can check to see how much longer it's going to take them, to save himself another wasted journey and you more importantly getting your hopes up looking forward to an ending. The longer it goes on I'm afraid you may get a change of Judge and that would be a shame as he comes across as a good guy. Chin up girl Posted Image

Awww im so sorry he drove all the way out there to hear that, is there not a way he can call and ask if its ready? Probably a question you have already thought of and asked, but its crazy to drive all the way there.I hope the next time that it will get sorted for you xxx

Thank you for the encouragement. Last time (20th Feb) our lawyer phoned before and found it wasn't yet ready and was able to send a letter of excuse for not appearing. This time he couldn't get hold of anybody who had the information in time to file his petition for excuses. What we try to do is find for him potential clients to meet on the day he comes. When that works we can halve his travelling expenses. Yesterday the judge did ask the clerk of the court to contact the experts and tell them that the report must be filed without fail for 17th April. Our lawyer seems to thing the risk of the experts being influenced locally is potentially high and that the report will not be in our favour. In which case we have to take it to Ankara (and pay again for the Akara experts) but we will at least be "playing in our lawyer's playground" as he says. I do hope they don't change the judge yet, that really would be a bummer, but it is usually every 2 years so we're crossing fingers. Can't do much else anyway.However the sun is shining, the snow has nearly all melted and you can feel that Spring is here. The season is starting, we saw tour buses in Urgup yesterday, everybody has suddenly become optimistic and dynamic after the general lethargy of the last 6 months, so this is some balm on sore wounds.

Yesterday the judge did ask the clerk of the court to contact the experts and tell them that the report must be filed without fail for 17th April. Our lawyer seems to thing the risk of the experts being influenced locally is potentially high and that the report will not be in our favour.

Well at least the judge is trying to do his best, sounds like a good man. I did wonder about the risk of the experts being influenced, lets hope this won't the case.

Vic you seem to have the patience of Job. The way your case has dragged on and on would try the patience of a saint. I really do hope that April 17th will see a positive outcome for you. Aderb good luck from me too and LL I hope your kimlik arrives very soon.

Thank you Sunny, I'm actually not a very patient person usually. It's just that there comes a point where even Job would have got fed up picking his zits and would have gone off and made bean and cabbage soup instead!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Well, we were there bright and early before 9 am and found to our dismay that tea had gone up from 30 krs to 50. Mr P tried to joke with the tea-lady that we should have free cay since we've we've been coming here for 3 years, well, either his Turkish was crap or she has no sense of humour or both.

So was the price of cay going up an omen of what was to follow in the court? I think you are trying to tease us and keep us in suspense as to how it all went Posted Image

I agree with you Abi, mind you Vic has perfected the art of storytelling. :DAll right Vic, you've got our attention, tell us , tell us.

Well, to be honest, we were assailled by friends as we left the the court and as I started to type I realised that this would not be understandable. Still half-slewed, but here goes:When our lawyer finally turned up at 10 o'clock we found out that our case had been scheduled for 14:40. I was pissed off (US Eglish pissed) but he was even more so since he'd left Ankara at 6:45. But he knows some people and the other avukat was already ther for another case so we were slipped in between cases. Again, don't think about sitting down, by the time your backside meets the seat, they have already set the date for the next hearing.Again our lawyer has told us we have won. Now we are bargaining about how much. If I had understood that earlier I would have said stop now. However. In our lawyer's opinion the experts' report is objective if a little optimistic. They took the value of the square metre and added on the work they saw that had been done, elektrik, su, kalorifer, kloset, mutfak etc. They estimate the value of the house plus the restoration as way above the invoices we have. So the other party will say that he took the money to spend it for the resotration. So next hearing 8th May, the judge is fed up and wants it to be over (me too!!)What is sure:We get back the money for the house plus 9% intesest from the date the case was statredWe get back some money from the restoartion - that will be up to the jsuge, 80% or 70% according to our lawyaerHe looooses!!!!!And if he wants to appeal he has to put the money in a secured bank accoutn first. When I saw him grimace as he gave 10 lira to his daughter for her birthdaay, I don't think he'll do that.Anyway, I don't believe anything until the dollars are in the pocket but you can be sure when it is official, ther will be a right old shindy on Turkey Central!!!!

That sounds a lot more positive but as you say, until the money is in your pocket, nothing is certain.I hope he will have to pay your costs as well.If I was the judge I'd take his passport off him.So on to May 8th.It's OK you didn't need to say 'pissed off (American English)' because 'pissed off' in UK English means the same. Pissed on its own means drunk. :D