Sign in to follow this  
Vic801

Life Has Its Ups And Downs!

Rate this topic

Well I've really enjoyed reading about all your exploits and thank you very much for sharing it all with us here. :worshippy[1]: It's been really interesting reading and educational too. Have to confess hearing your account of coming off the road had me on tenterhooks. I did much the same a good few years back while travelling around the East of Turkey.....scarey.Am so pleased to hear that you are now happy with your own business to run,and nobody to take advantage of you.Wishing you and Mr P much happiness.saffie

Thanks again from me too. Your stories have been interesting to say the least but even though you have been through soo very much you somehow still have retained a sense of humour and haven't judge all Turkish people the same.At the end of this month I will be hoping to hear that you have won your case. Good job he sold his car hire business as it should mean there may be some money to be had.So fingers and everything else crossed for you and Mr P that justice will be on your side. :) :)

Phew! Goodness me, what a tale. It made fascinating reading, I was gripped to the end.I sincerely hope that you will now continue to prosper and that you win the case against M the S and get a good proportion of your money back. :)Good luck.

Excellent story, should be made into a film.

Sorry about the late update - I am always a bit washed out after every court hearing.Good news is - it seems to be on the right road. Bad news, it might take longer than expected.Evil Mehmet's lawyer had asked to bring new witnesses to the hearing who would swear that the restoration work on the house was done by M and not by us. He also was to bring paper evidence. Our lawyer had asked us to bring more witnesses on our side.M's lawyer turned up without the witnesses and evidence (of course) as one of his witnesses was out of town and the other one in hospital(ha,ha,ha). He asked for a postponement of the hearing to give him time to bring more witnesses.We had less luck this time with our witnesses. One of them had changed cell phone number and we couldn't get hold of him. The other 2 had important business in Kayseri on the day of the hearing. (As I said, people don't want to get mixed up with courts and justice and whatever. They also don't want to hang around all day waiting for a 5 minute hearing when they have a business to be run). However both of them (the sand and ciment man and the plumber) were happy to write documents stating that they had sold goods and services to us with the details of the payment dates, the amount and the fact that the money had been paid to them not by M but by us.So our lawyer asked the judge to add this evidence to the dossier which he did. He then asked the judge not to postpone the hearing. M has had a year and a half to produce evidence and witnesses and since twice M's lawyer has turned up without them what would prove they would turn up next time. The judge listened and said he would give one last chance for M to defend himself with witnesses and documents and the next hearing for 19th July. Our lawyer then informed him that any "evidence" brought by M as to materials bought for restoration should be examined very carefully since at the time we were retoring our house he was renovating his hotel and enlarging his restaurant with bar and terrace. He produced evidence of this - M himself has written this on his hotel website :"Akk

I've been waiting with baited breath to see how you got on in court. I have to say your lawyer comes across as very competent which is always good to hear and a lucky find for you.The possibility of him having transferred his properties into someone elses name are real and it would be interesting if you could find out the dates that he did so as it would prove that he was trying to evade paying you back, but of course he may have done that sometime ago if he was having money problems.The time of the next court session if it's Oct/Nov is earlier than I would have thought, so it's good that is will be so soon although the waiting will be nail biting for you.As you say it's all positive stuff.

That's good news but still nail biting for you.I'm sure E. Mehmet will do his best to squirm out of things but as you say at least you will have the satisfaction of watching it. :)

Hi Vic801,Just wanted to say, sorry l have not posted before - been away and busy as a bee! l have read your posts, glued to my chair!! You are something else, hats off too you.. you should write a book of your experiences, they really are gripping.Just want to wish you all the luck in the world and keeping my fingers crossed for you with the outcome, although it does sound like it's in the bag. You should also write a book on how to stay sane in troubled times, cause you seem to have managed that big time.. Good luck and keep us all posted.Love Bev xx

Thank you very much Bev. As I say I am far too lazy to write a book. I don't blog and I normally don't pour out my life story on forums! But this is different. Turkey has taught me a lot. Until now I've always handled things on my own, never one to cry on anyone's shoulder, you just get on with things and stiff upper lip and all that. In Turkey the network of friends and family is all important, you can't survive as an individual, you are part of a community. And as I kept all that stress to myself I found this forum and realised it was a safe place to pour out some of this angst and I am very glad I did.Keeping sane is just a survival technique. I am very appreciative to my parents for my upbringing which stressed the importance of the "work ethic" "you don't get anything for nothing" and "count your blessings every day". My husband taught me too that you can find the funny side of anything if you try. So I try. And I did come to Turkey because I was bored with life in France - I can hardly complain that life has been boring here!And if I count my blessings I have hundreds and you are all among them!Sentimental slop aside, I loved Cukurbagli's suggestion that it should be made into a film but can just imagine people coming out and pooh-poohing that is was obviously fictional and highly improbable and exaggerated! Aybody outside of Turkey wouldn't believe it, even I sometimes have to pinch myself sometimes!Nothing is in the bag ever and I'm still waiting to see what the next episode of life will bring. But today is beautiful and sunny and the hot air balloons are floating across the sky and we are taking a day off (first day off this year :groupwave2[1]: ) to go and see some friends in Mustafapasa and drink "Sinasos cay" :beerchug[1]: . As Mr P has just said "Today, good day"!

Well here is Grump for the Day.Court hearing was fixed for today at 3pm. We turned up with baited breath to see which surprise witnesses Evil Mehmet would turn up with on his Last Chance Day. And what the report of the court experts would say about the work done on the house compared to the invoices provided.After hanging around and waiting for more than the usual time we ended up phoning our avukat since we could see no sign of him in the corridors. Luckily we did as he told us that the judge was on leave this week and the hearing had been postponed. He himself had only found this out before lunch. Since the courts close for August the next hearing will be, at earliest, in September, probably October or November with the final judgement date postponed until next year. Well, 6 months more or 6 months less, we'll just have to wait.Grump, grump, grump.

Very sorry to hear that Vic I can only imagine how you felt. You would have thought the Judge could have waited a week but then again it's not him waiting for a decision is it. I expect the "Evil Mehmet" will be walking around with a smile on his face,:( still you will get him in the end I'm sure.

How extremely frustrating for you. That's very bad manners on the part of the court not informing you and your lawyer earlier.I'm not surprised that you needed a grump.

I've just spent the past hour or so reading this thread and its a fascinating tale of your life in Turkey, one which I feel certain will have a positive outcome, simply because of your resilience.And talking of resilience...it's something I've also acquired since I moved to Turkey 13 years ago. I never thought I would have the patience to accept and tolerate some of the things that I have experienced, but I think a lot of it is down to the support and love we receive from the majority of Turkish people.I feel your frustration at having such a long wait for Mehmet to be found accountable, but I am also keeping my fingers crossed that justice will eventually be done.

Just an update: next date for the court hearing: 18th October. After all, only 3 months after the original date hearing that was supposed to be. Sometimes I'm fed up with this whole darn thing. I'm supposed to be stong and resilent and whatever and sometimes it wears me down. I'd just like some end to the whole thing whatever the end is.

Glad to hear you're got your court date Vic. Although it isn't soo long to wait really, I do understand how you are feeling very well. The waiting does get you down I know and I expect that scumbag M is counting on that and hopes that you will give in. People like him have infinate patience and every delay that he can cause is a bonus to him.Hopefully the case will go ahead without any further delays and will be resolved one way or the other. However, even if there is a further delay I still have faith in you, although you and your other half have been through a terrible time you will somehow find that extra strengh to see you through until the end however long it takes.Whilst we can't be with you in person be assured that there are a lot of people here rooting for you. So as hard as it is dust yourself down and get :swordfight[1]::starwars[1]:

Be strong Vic. As the others have said we're rooting for you.

A BIG thank you to everybody and sorry about that. Now totally dusted down and gritting the snaggled teeth. Met somebody yesterday with far bigger problems than ours who was accepting it all with a big smile Turkish way. Made me feel foolish for feeling sorry for myself.And again THANK YOU!!

Don't feel foolish Vic and don't feel you have to say sorry, it natural to have down days. It's hard to keep firing on all 4 cylinders when you have gone through the amount of stress that you have had to endure plus it's been such a long haul for you as well,so not a good combination. So it's ok to feel like that, your batteries just ran flat that's all but you have managed to recharge them for what will be hopefully the finale in this very sad state of affairs that you find yourself in.I dread to think what that poor person must be going through if they have far bigger problems than you, the mind boggles at the very thought of it.

Just a little update. I was sick on 18th Oct so called the lawyer who told me that my presence was not necessary that it would just be to fix another date two months later etc... He called me back a couple of hours later, all excited. Evil Mehmet had called the ex-muhtar as a witness. Muhtar started by saying that he would not lie (knowing him, M didn't give him enough) and completed by saying we paid for all the work done in that house and that EM. knew that,since he was present evey day. And added that we were appreciated in the village and people wept when we left. So basically, his own witness turned against him! Next hearing 6th December and fianl verdict next year.

Sunny,

Luv the violin player.lol !!!

Vic,

You're great at putting your journey down on paper.wish i could do that.Mr,T looks adorable.I myself have two Turkish Street dogs that i totally luv.

Looking forward to your next chapter.

Lindy Lou