'polis' Scam Aimed At Foreign Students

Rate this topic

Hiya, some may recognise me from the question i asked in the marriage area, I just thought i would say my experience as i and many others found it very interesting!

I am on an Erasmus University exchange semester in Izmir, from February till July. I have my own apartment which i share with another Brit from my University.

A few days ago our bell rang, i answered the door to an ageing man (I'd say 50's) in plain clothes who identified himself as 'Polis' but did not show me any ID. I also noticed the lack of a gun on his hip ( a sure sign of him not being a Turkish copper hehe) He had a few pieces of paper with him and proceeded to attempt to read the name of my housemate, which he failed to do, i said it for him then he read mine. He made the typical questioning facail gesture (but didnt explicitly ask) of 'Where are you from' To which i reply 'Inglizm' He then shows me the photocopied paper, points out the 'Izmir Ekonomi Universitisi' stamp on the top of the sheet, my address, my residence as an Erasmus student, my Date of Birth etc. and then asks IN ENGLISH something i would never expect! 'How much money do you have in the house?' I though what?!, I replied with 'What? cash?' ... Now immediately i am even more wary and know this guy isn't for real, and thankfully i have a quick mind and come up with the reply '50 lira, we dont need cash, we have everything on VISA' He seems surprised and asks me to write the number on the back of the sheet, i put 50 again, and shockingly he says, No, no, no. and proceeds to put another 0 on the end to make my answer now 500tl, i am speechless and i just switch to turkish and rather loudly say 'Hayir!' get the paper and scribble the 0 out whilst saying 'Elli lira' He goes quiet, says thank you in English and heads off! I immediately call my Turkish girlfriend, explain to her what happened and she agrees with me that its suspicious. So i decide to let my University know about it because this guy had managed to get a hold of an official document, either from the University or the Police, both inexplicible! My coordinator at the uni calls the local Police station and they agree that it is suspicious and say to warn all the other Erasmus students in the area (there are about 20 of us) about it.

That night i had a broken nights sleep, complete with chairs against doors, and things that could be easily knocked over and which would make a loud noise by any intruders. ( I can get pretty paranoid, especially when it comes to people in my home)Thankfully nothing has happened and everyone in our apartment block has been made away. But this does not ease the feelings that this man had managed to get ahold of all my personal details and proceed to try to feed of my naeivity in a foriegn country... I usually am a very trusting person, always taking people as being good before anything else and thankfully (if thats the correct word) i have been scammed before when abroad so i am wary now, had i not been... I dare not think of it.

Just wanted to let people know this, incase there are any other students, or any foriegn people with residents permits for that matter, who might be at risk from a similar attempt.

Thanks,Max

Thanks for posting that Max, it serves as a warning to all other students to be on their toes when someone comes to the door. Let us know if you find out whether the real Polis or the University people manage to find out any more about this guy.

Thanks Max for letting us know what happened to you and hope that people take note of what you have written. It's very disturbing that this man managed to get so many details about you and wonder who must have given them to him. I don't blame you for barracading yourself in I think I would have done the same. But well done to you for spotting this man for what he was at an early stage.

If it had happened to me I think even if he showed me polis ID and then asked how much money I had I would have called his bluff and told the man to wait whilst I phoned the polis station to check him out, then shut the door on him and called the nearest Turkish person to me and asked then to call the polis and come round as fast as possible. Mind you it's easy for me to say that as I have had time to think about what I would do if it had happened to me whereas in real life you don't.

Max sorry to hear this have happened to you but thankfully you were very quick thinking. Thank you for also sharing your story and making other students and the genreal public aware. Really hope the police or the university find out who this man is. Take care love Sam xxx

Thanks from me too Max for telling us about this scam. Let's hope that man hasn't got more stolen papers with private information, and I hope the Polis catch him.

This reminds me of another scam that someone tried on us a couple of weeks ago. My son got a text on his mobile saying he had won 10,000 lira (by virtue of having his GSM number selected randomly) in a promotion by Pepsi, supported by Seda Sayan (a Turkish singer). I was immediately suspicious but my husband wanted to know more, so he called the number. The guy said we had to open a bank account at Yapi Kredi within the hour and deposit 200 lira, and they would then pay the money in. Oh, but it was Saturday ! Never mind, he said, just go to the ATM. How can we open an account at an ATM ? When you get there call us back and we will direct you, he said. When he asked for our credit card number, I knew for certain it was a scam.

Later I checked on the internet, and sure enough, this scam had been going around for some years, and someone is still trying to con people into handing over money. It sure did open our eyes ! :thmbdn[1]:

Thank you both for telling us about these scams.

It's not a good idea to phone these numbers as I know of a couple of people who have done this and then their mobile has somehow been hijacked and the kontors were somehow stolen.

That's why we called the number from the landline, not the mobile. The guy wouldn't have known which of his "targets" was calling back (as we didn't give our names) -- and the worst (hopefully) that can happen is slightly inflated phone bill for that month.