Single Females Who Moved To Istanbul Alone?

Rate this topic

Hmuir

I didn't move here on my own but I would think that if you are not working it might be quite difficult to start with but Turkish people are generally very friendly and helpful. I've a friend who came over on her own and everywhere she went she always seemed to find someone who spoke English to help her.

If you start working at a school you will soon get to know other teachers.

You will also find that you will become friends with people that you wouldn't necessarily have been friends with at home. :)

Hi Hazal,

I got a job from UK at a language school, flew over, happened to be on the same flight as the girl I shared a flat with (we were provided with shared same sex accommodation).

I worked with about 12 teachers, so we had a great time getting to know each other, going for walks to discover Istanbul on our day off, and drinking round at each other's flats!

Personally, never had any problems at all, and I wasn't always joined at the hip with the others!

I'd imagine it's a bit more tricky if you don't know anyone there at all, but maybe staying in a hostel is a good way to meet people initially. All the best.

Hey Sue,

Wondering how you managed to get a job at the language school from here? Ha that is a tad random that you had a girl on the same flight as you. I keep having good and bad days about doing this. I know it is totally what i want to do but then a friend will ask about what happens if i cant find work and then suddenly i have doubt in my head. I know once i am there i just need to hit the streets and look for work.

How long did you go for? And would you totally do it again?

Sunny i agree i think meeting with the different Turks over the years they are pretty friendly. I think i need to just find a female hostel to kick start the whole thing.

Dave's ESL Cafe is the place to look for teaching jobs, although at the moment most of them are for the far east or Arab countries.

Also if you Google English language schools Istanbul you should be able to find a number of schools that you could contact even if any ads they have posted are out of date. No harm in trying but try and find reviews of schools because some you wouldn't want to work at and once you've signed a contract you're stuck.

There used to be jobs advertised in the Tuesday Education Guardian for ESOL teachers all over the world!

And, yes, we're going back again this year, and I'll be teaching again.

Believe me, when you're there, things will come your way!

If you need to stay in a hostel at first, don't worry about it being female only! Just make sure you've got enough money till you get a job with accommodation.

Hey, Thanks for the links shall have a busy afternoon browsing.

That's something else i wanted to ask about. I've heard about the one year contracts you sign when choosing to stay on with a school. Of course if you need to leave you can but I presume if you want to go to another teaching school they wouldn't be happy. Is the years contract something that is concluded with bonuses at the end? Basically just wondering how strict the contracts are, although calling it a contract means it shall be.

Don't expect employment here to be like in the UK. The boss is definitely THE BOSS no matter how unreasonable they seem to be and you can't just up and leave because they have the contract you signed and could, if they so wished, take you to court.

You would also find it difficult to change jobs if you broke a contract as your work permit finishes with the job.

Errrr, no. Do not expect a bonus at all, ever. When considering schools find out as much as you can about them by Googling before you apply.

Well I would have thought that most educational establishments would want you for the academic year which runs from September to the middle/end of June but with the new initiative by the government to employ 10,000 teachers per year things might be more flexible.