Worcestershire Sauce!

Rate this topic

Hey Everybody.

A quick question. Im not the best of cooks in the world but i am going to try following my grandmothers recipe and most of them include worcestershire sauce. Do anybody know if i can find it here in Turkey, preferably the Izmir area but if elsewhere its not a problem. Other than that do anybody know a replacement to use instead of worcestershire sauce.

Hope somebody can help me soon :D Love Sam xxxx

Here is one recipe. There are a multitude of others with different ingredients and Worcestershire Sauce substitutions. Just do a search on the web.

Worcestershire Sauce3 cups cider vinegar 1/2 cup plum jam1 small crushed clove garlic1/4 tsp. chili powder1/4 tsp. ground cloves 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper1/3 cup molasses1 small chopped onion1 tsp. ground allspice 1/4 tsp. dry mustard Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Stir over heat until mixture boils. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Strain mixture into hot sterilized jars. Seal when cold. Makes 2 cups.

You can, at a price, usually find Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce in Kipa in Balcova. Don't buy the Heinz one, it bears no resemblance to the real Lea and Perrins.

The 'La Doria' beans aren't bad and a lot cheaper than Heinz, also found in Kipa.

When l was in Fethyie they had a shop called the 'Pork Shop' its been trading for a while now - they sell the real Lea and Perrins plus a multitude of other goodies, like weetabix, Paxo stuffing, Mango chutney, Heinz Beans, lovely chops and bacon!! pate, cheddar cheese, pataks curry sauces, english mustard, HP sauce, marmite, the list just goes on really. And l have to say the prices are better than Migros.

Just a thought.

Bev x

They have a store called Erzincan Mandira in Ankara which stocks loads of the above mentioned foods, also in the new malls there are shops dedicated only to Euro and American brands. The prices are really high though, like 35TL for choc sauce or 60TL for maple syrup... hmmmStill Dr Pepper for 2TL was a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody just to let you know today I took a trip to Kipa Gaziemir and bought a bottle of Lea & perkins Worcestershire sauce and baslamic vinegar which I have really been craving for my chips hehe. Now I can start following my recipes :D xxx

Lea and Perrins is on the shelves in the Muhtar Supermarket in Kaş along with a lot of other European and English goodies including HP brown sauce, malt vinegar and creamed horseradish sauce.