Tony07

Driving To Turkey From The UK

Rate this topic

Yes it does matter, you need the log book (V5)  for proof of ownership, you'll probably not be allowed to enter Turkey without it.

I agree 100% with what Curkubagli said.

We are here and happy, everything went smoothly.

The road trip was fascinating but will condense journal to JUST include the important traveling information and details of what is required, I'll try and organise this later today.

In the meantime, however, the MOST requested piece of documentation on the whole trip IS the logbook/ownership document. DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT IT!

Incidentally get car insurance for Turkey before you leave with AVIVA, this was absolutely fine at the borders! :)

Ozzy,

it doesn't matter if your car is new or if you have booked train tickets. Don't leave UK without the log book or you will have to turn round and go back.

If you're supposed to be leaving on the 20th then you still have 10 days. Be patient, it should come in that time.

Recent trip from UK to Turkey.

Documents Carried:

• Channel Tunnel ticket
  • Passports
  • Turkish visas
  • UK driving license
  • International driving license
  • Green card (AVIVA) insurance
  • UK certificate of insurance
  • Vehicle registration document
  • Pet passports (+ rabies blood tests)
  • Boat documents.

Our Route:

• England to France
  • Through Belgium to Luxembourg
  • Through Germany, Switzerland (vignette) to Lichtenstein
  • Lichtenstein to Vaduz (Austria vignette)
  • Austria to Slovenia (vignette)
  • Slovenia to Croatia (vignette)
  • Croatia to Serbia Serbia to Bulgaria (vignette)

The above borders might have asked on occasion for passports.

Turkey wants passports, visas vehicle documents, and a green card.

The trips journal gave me somewhat of a poetic license so I won't jam up this thread with stories of beautiful Serbia and the like, when it is typed I'll post a link if anybody is interested, but basically the above covers pretty much what is required. Nobody asked about the dog's documents.

What is the vignette Lin, and who issues it? Remember to post the link please :)

A vignette is like a pass or a permit that you have to buy as you are entering or are in a particular country in order to use their roads.

I suppose like a temporary rd tax cause they can last from a week to three months ( more ) so this too should be specified when you buy, ( as best you can cause they all speak foreign everywhere!)

There is a big sign which shows a sign showing money, so on one occasion we waited to be asked, like a toll, for the payment. Nobody asked so we drove on and at the next " toll booth " got fined ( a lot of euros !!! This was in Austria, we hadn't bought the vignette leaving Lichtenstein, you stick it on your windshield so it's visible, the traffic police see no vignette, stop you and fine you at the roadside. The fine was 111 euros, the vignette would have cost 8 !!!!!) by a man with a gun ( nervous snigger ) The lesson to be learned is to ask or to google the countries as you go through, ask "vignette" then buy as you enter the country at border crossing, office or " toll booth "Yes will DEFINITELY post a link, it's a fascinating trip.

My route was

• UK
  • France
  • Belgium
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Slovenia
  • Croatia
  • Serbia
  • Bulgaria

A great route but Bulgaria's roads need fixing up.

But on my return to the UK it was changed to

• Turkey
  • Greece
  • Macedonia
  • Serbia
  • Slovenia
  • Austria
  • Germany
  • Luxembourg
  • Belgium
  • France
  • UK

It was a longer drive coming home but the roads was better apart From Macedonia and there €50 sigorta / border insurance,

My car used LPG fuel all the way, 4 days each way and about 2500 miles each way,

Hi, 
    I am planning a road trip from Altrincham, UK to Turkey next summer. Can anyone please help explain the customs process for the car? Do I need a carnet or any other form of document to drive from Europe into Turkey? I will be driving a 1983 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 3.4 litre diesel engine and the vehicle is registered in the UK with UK plates. 
    Also which are the safest countries to travel between Germany and Turkey? I want to maximise on site seeing along the route and on the way back drive through Greece. 
    Many thanks in advance for any information.