Driving To Turkey From The UK

Rate this topic

Thanks all for your joyous cheers that he made it there.

I just opened my mail and received the last installment, it's funny so would be wrong of me not to let you have it!!

Wishing mouse64 good luck for her trip, I think she leaves on Friday. Check the weather mouse, good journey to you.

All sorted in plenty of time to catch the ferry to Bodrum. Only problem was that I could not see it! The ferries from Ancona and Pereaus were both pretty much the same – 10 decks high and huge so I looked for something similar but no.

This one was about 50 feet long (my sailing boat is 45 feet!) plastic chairs to sit on in the open on the top deck and a bit of standing room below and just about room for one car in the middle of the people. I was loaded on last and the look of terror on the other passengers faces had to be seen to be believed. They were standing chatting in a small area of deck then I drove my huge Nissan Navarra on and parked in the middle of them. They were probably even more scared because when they looked for the driver they did not see anybody – the steering wheel was on the other side. Priceless!!

Anyway the crossing was good and I was lucky because I would not fancy being on that thing if the weather was still bad particularly as I think the crew were drinking Raki.

Landed in Bodrum and all fine. Bought a visitors visa for about 15€ I think. Went through Passport Control then into duty free and bought a bottle of vodka and some cigarettes (I don’t know why as I don’t smoke). Then on to Customs who were very helpful.

Checked Asena’s Pet Passport and no problem. Interestingly they did not even look at the DEFRA Export Certificate that had caused me most of the grief with the 7 day duration. Checked the car Registration Document and Insurance. Insurance did not cover Turkey as I could not find any Insurers in the UK that would cover Turkey as it is outside Europe. Not a problem as the Customs guy’s mate took me on the back of his scooter to an Insurance broker. Got there at 5:29, which was lucky, because they closed at 5:30 processed all the details, which were OK, but then the computer system went down. Apparently it does it a lot.

Next problem was that the Insurance Company had now closed. Ugh!! No problem because my guy spoke to the Insurance company guy at home and sorted out cover and gave me a piece of paper. I assume it was a Certificate of Insurance but cannot be sure. I paid TL90 (about £30) for one week's cover then went back to the Port.

The maniac scooter rider was good and I agreed to give him 10€ for his time but he had no change so I gave him 20€. I was just relieved to get cover otherwise my car would have been impounded till I could sort cover on Monday!

Customs was happy with paperwork. I looked in the back of the truck. They asked if I had anything to declare and asked about electronics. I told him I had my phone, laptop, printer and a camera. He was happy so off I went.

I think I previously commented on how brilliant the Satnav had been.

Well now I am in Bodrum!! The roads were in the wrong places and I got lost within 100 yards from the Port. I was very impressed with my driving skills when I turned right narrowly missing about 6 people 2 parked cars and a bollard. Oh yeah! Then it went a bit wrong. The road was full of parked cars but even worse it was not a through road so I had to back out or spend the night there! I got out and asked the 6 people I had nearly run over if anyone could speak English. A really helpful guy looked at my Satnav and confirmed he no longer knew where he was and he lived there. He gave me general directions by waving his arm and saying I “should go over there”. He then guided me out into traffic reversing past the aforesaid 6 people, 2 parked cars and the bollard. It worked and off I went “over there”. These directions were perfect and I got on the high road away from Bodrum and within about half an hour I found I was heading for Marmaris.

The drive was good apart from the generally bad road surfaces and the roadworks. Finally reached my boat in Netsel Marina Marmaris at about 10:30 and sighed a very big sigh of relief. I was tired but happy that the trip had gone so well. No problems with the car, paperwork, weather, route and Asena was brilliant. She slept pretty much all the way and now she was on the boat she was getting tired and ready for a good sleep.

It is great being back here and it feels like home.

Would I do the trip again?

Definitely.

Thanks everybody for the good wishes, maybe things would have gone more smoothly if I had seen them before we left .

We finally made it and are now safely in beautiful if at the moment rainy, Marmaris.

The Trip, Part One

Only a short installment as I`m still incredibly tired and my head is not quite right.

We finally got “the Van” on Thursday morning, the 28th of March.

Packing started and it became quite clear early on in the process that all was not as it should be, so little a Van (Luton Van, well all of a sudden it seemed to have shrunk) and so much stuff.

I can honestly not see how all of a sudden this is my fault when for month each time I asked the love of my life (loml for short) if I would be able to take this or that his answer was: take what you want, we have loads of room………so I did. :yummy:

After a full day packing and rearranging again and again. Sorting and cleaning our house (he and 3 lodgers will still have to live there, furniture had to be rearranged, new once put in and build etc.)

Cooking stuff for the trip etc. etc. Loml decides it’s a good idea to get a head start and we will drive tonight instead of tomorrow morning, he is of the opinion that he wouldn’t be able to sleep early anyway and might as well get a head start bla. Bla . bla.

Now…..up to then I hadn’t seen the actual cab of “the Van” because of the way it was parked and really there hadn’t been a reason to go in it. So when I opened it for the first time to put in traveling essentials imagine my surprise that our business partner, who drives the van normally didn’t find it important to actually clean it. As he takes his lovely dog with him to work every day, everything was covert in dog hair, and I mean covert, 2 cm thick, on every surface in every gap, hair and dust and grime. I tried to explain to loml that there was no way that I would travel in that and to clean it would take hours and I was so tired already and that we would have to go in the morning.

He would not budge, so I started cleaning and 2.5 hours later we are on our way. I promised to kill our business partner if I ever see him again and at that moment I was not saying it as a joke.

So off we go…. Tired and with a van that is maybe feeling just a little bit on the heavy side.

We made Dover by 02:00 at night, to be stuck in a traffic jam at check in for 2 hours, I have never seen so much traffic at that time at night, it dawns on us…its Easter!! Thanks god we bought our tickets in advance and there was no problem getting the space.

Just for fun we drove in over the lorry weigh in station…..

Now, fully loaded, our van should weigh 3.5 tons

As loml drives on I look and then look again, this can`t be right. It reads 4985 Kg. Oh sh.t. :D

Really pleased that you made it Mouse!

Sounds like you have had a bit of a trip!

Look forward to the rest of it, don't forget - pm me when you and "loyl" are ready for a beer!!:)

Academlin,

I love the trip report you are posting of your husbands trip!

Reference your post to my introduction, I'd love to hear your husband's recommendation for traveling from Belgium. No rush, whenever he has the time, I have a few months still before I will be leaving. I was trying to decide if I should go through Italy and take ferries or take the google maps recommended trip the other way.

My goal won't be there to get there as fast as possible but to rather make it a few days longer to stop and do some sight seeing along the way. Also I will be traveling with friend from the States as I will not be brave enough to do it alone. I don't mind traveling alone however not a long trip like this through lots of foreign places. I"m leaning towards the route through Germany, Austria, Slovenia Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria into Turkey because I haven't been to those places yet. I've been to a few places in Italy but there are still places I haven't been yet...

I want to go to Greece but figure moving to Turkey I will have more opportunities to get there than than the other place... I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions. I want to be safe.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andrea,

As you have read Geoff did the route through Italy and then by ferries, in actual fact, the route he would have really liked to have done is the route that you are talking about, where you cross through many countries and take your time sight seeing as you go.

His main two concerns regarding that trip were,

• Administrative complications and
  • Added costs at borders.

And as he was driving single handed, the time spent resting on the ferry was apt for him.

"I'm leaning towards the route through Germany, Austria, Slovenia Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria into Turkey because I haven't been to those places yet.

Geoff's main concerns were with regard to The Eastern European countries that you mention, who we have heard from experience are very very tight on formalities at borders and whilst journeying through their country!

This said, I am hoping to do the trip back with him in September, when we will probably be doing this exact route. Incidentally he says that four days at five hundred km a day was fine, but up to eight days of this would have been very tiring and hard work.

We are all waiting for Mouse64s story, this I think is the route she and her hubby did, just last week, and from her initial post things didn't go entirely smoothly, perhaps when her travel log is complete, you will have much more information to ponder over! :)

The problem of course with Geoff's trip and Mouses was the time limitation factor which accompanies the traveling with pets law, you on the other hand can spread the journey out and make a holiday in itself out of it!! How cool!

Last year Geoff (and I) sailed from Kopa in Slovenia, past Croatia where he stopped and enjoyed the Beautiful country there, Albania, Montenegro, then Corfu through the Corinth canal onto Athens then stopped at different Greek islands including Simi (GORGEOUS) before coming into (equally GORGEOUS) Turkey, the point I am trying to make here, is if you should chance upon a passing super Yacht as you are considering your route planning, stuff the road journey completely and opt for becoming second mate. Now, that WOULD make for an exciting adventure!!

Love Lin: there is another ferry port much further south in Italy, (than Ancona which is where the Geoff caught his ferry) which would then give you the opportunity of driving completely through Italy. He thinks it's at "Brindisi".

Just google search, I'm sure you'll find it!

Hi Andrea

If you are planning to take any furniture at all, don't! Do the trip through Croatia and Serbia, as they are not in the EU it is a nightmare. you would be much better of going through Hungary and Romania and then Bulgaria.

If I had the choice and was going by car, not van, I would take the route Lin suggested over southern Italy, Brindisi or Bari.

We have just driven through Croatia and Serbia and the view from the Motorway is unbelievable boring most of the time. Admittedly that was partly because of the time of the year but it was quite bleak.

The Trip, Part Two

So we wobbled our way onto the ferry, on a lower level then I had ever been when driving a car. There was little us and we were surrounded by massive Lorries.

Getting out of the cabin I was standing in 2 cm deep water, it was streaming all over the floor, no idea why or where it was coming from but by the time we finally found the passenger exit my feet were wet and I was dirty from trying to squeeze past lorries who were incredibly tightly packed.

Arriving on the passenger deck we were greeted with the sight of people and blanket everywhere, people sleeping on the floor under staircases, in between seating, crying overtired children, mayhem.

In short, no rest was to be had on that crossing.

Arriving in Dunkirk of course we hit the next traffic jam of people trying to leave the area and it went downhill from there.

We were supposed to make Croatia by nightfall but with the traffic situation and the God awful weather we found ourselves near Regensburg in Germany by about 8 that night, the sat nav told us it was a further 10 hours to our hotel in Croatia and I had enough.

Threatening the loml with tears was maybe not nice but the only way to a reasonable night sleep, I was sooooo tired. The poor dog was shaking all over and I could not get her of my lap anymore, she hates driving.

We phoned hotels.com to try to change our booking for the next night and they were incredibly helpful. Not only did they get into contact with our hotel and managed a cost free changing of the booking to the next night but they found us a hotel near to where we were driving.

My sanity was saved. At least for that day :)

The Trip, Part Three

So after a hearty meal of pot noodle made in the room we got a good nights sleep and a great breakfast in the morning and of we went again.

In the morning everything always looks better and even though it was still raining, the mood was positive.

We made speedy progress into Austria and were looking forward to a good long rest the next evening, because when you have just been on the road for 24 hours, what is another 10 to drive?

According to our sat nav (we bought for lots of money at a petrol station as we just found out, no our old one is not working on the main land after all) we would be at our destination at 7:10 pm yayyy!!!

The motorway was still quite busy as it now was good Friday but the going was good…..till we got to the first Austrian Toll station, out of a row of pay stations only 3 had the green light above them, the loml went for the left one only to discover at the last moment that it was card only.

No problem, we back up and get in line behind the queue in the middle one……or,..no, we back up again to get in the smaller queue on the right hand lane, “loml, noooo” I said, this was another card only queue. “oh bl..dy hell” he said and backed out ones again. “watch out!!!” crash, “!”£$%^&*” the loml said.

We had backed into a very not amused Austrian driver, luckily only minor damage and very lucky for us the good man was on his way to a family dinner and after a lot of apologies and paper showing, waving around of European insurance and taking photos of the damage we were on our way again a mere 2 hours later.

As we got into the van the loml says” bl..dy hell I just realized I gave the insurance the wrong number plate” he accidentally swapped to letters around, lucky for us the poor Austrian never saw.

“do you think it matters?” we will see, I guess.

Now the time on the Sat Nav read 09:25 pm, I was not quite so happy anymore.

After many further hours and a a bit bumpy and very rainy but uneventful trip out of Austria and Croatian border. Having been in Croatia before with a camper Van I did not see any problems coming, after all they are nearly in the EU aren't they?

Yes they are, and that’s where the problems start.

Getting stopped at the Croatian customs checkpoint I realize that there is an awful lot of cars already there and being checked, they are super thorough!!!

The customs officer asks us” what is in the back?” “personal furniture for our move to turkey”. “open please” … ”you are not car, you are lorry” ”no we are not” “yes you are” bla, bla, bla. “go to freight customs.”

Having had no choice we turn around, crossing about 5 lanes, with the friendly help of our customs officer.

I`m flapping now, what if they weigh us? It turns out that this is not our problem, having now been classed “ a lorry” they expect us to have freight forwarding papers.

“We don’t have any?” “You don’t have any? Why not?” “Because we are not a lorry. We are just transporting personal goods”

“you have to have papers, go get them at one of the freight forwarding offices”

To make a very long story short, there were about 10 offices (little rows of huts) and nobody wanted to talk to us, some didn't even let us open our mouth, just waved us off. Talking to the officer again and me nearly crying by now, we found out that there was going to be a shift change in a further 45 min and nobody wanted to start some paperwork that late.

Waiting our time till the next shift and finally finding somebody to do the paperwork cost us 200 Euros for the paperwork and a bond of 500 pound to be picked up on the way back through, provided that we have the paperwork showing that we didn't use Croatia to sell our furniture.

Yes that was the reason for all this, they were worried of us importing our stuff into Croatia without paying tax. Now in years gone by there wouldn't have been a problem, nobody cared, or at the most it would have cost us some “coffee money” but now they are trying to get into the EU so everything had to be super above board. “bl..dy EU” the loml said.

After some reassurance that the same thing wouldn't happen on the Serbian border as we are going from one non EU country into another non EU country we are on our way again and 3 hours later arrive at our pension.

The owners are nice enough to still let us in and as my head hits the pillow (this time without any food as there is no hot water) I look at my watch, arrrrggg “02:15 I tell loml, I`m so tired” “make that 03:15 he said, the clocks have just gone forward”

Hmmmmmm, doesn't sound like plain sailing Mouse!!

Geoff was right to feel a bit concerned about " the bribes" at borders!

Also we knew Croatia were bureaucratic nightmares as a friend of ours ended up in prison with his boat impounded not so long ago, he was teaching a sailing course to some Russians and they had to shelter somewhere in Croatia out of a fierce storm which blew up, and because the Russians didn't have the correct papers the captain faced the wrap!

Omg!! At least you had somewhere for a nap after all that!

The Trip, Part Four

So now that I have recovered from the long trip I really have to finish this

waking up with creaking bones after a wholesome 5 hours sleep we went for breakfast, it was now Easter Sunday and we were starving after getting nothing the night before.

Breakfast was a bit rustic and a bit strange to us, never had hot dog sausages for breakfast but when in Rome etc.

So getting a relative early start we were on our way to the Serbian border.

Having been reassured by our friendly freight forwarding agent the night before that this border wouldn't be a problem we were in quite a good mood.

Sadly what he told us was rubbish and the first question we got on the border was “where is your plomba?”

“huh?? What now?” was our answer.

Apparently the correct procedure would have been to put a metal seal (don’t know the English word for this one) on our freight door so that nobody could access the load. Then it wouldn't have been a problem. Now we would need new freight forwarding papers.

“yayyyy” ….no we didn't say that, that was me trying to be amusing

So we park the van and once again try to find somebody willing to help us in the long row of office huts. This time it didn't take quite as long and the nice girls first job was to give me a cup of coffee with the spoon literally standing in it.

She must have seen something in my eyes.

After a long wait it was agreed (by the now 1o strong group who had gathered, all getting together to have a smoke under the massive no smoking sign) that yes there was a way they could help us.

We would pay 140 Euros to do the papers and instead of leaving a massive money assurance we would take one of the guys with us, to guard our precious load that we were probably after selling in Serbia.

We had no choice but to agree. I asked the guy how long he thought it would take to get out of Serbia? 7 hours he told me. “oh how nice, I will enjoy your company for that time in the small cap of the van with my dog on my knees for the duration,rubbing thighs and elbows with you :) “ I said. Mwhahaha

Actually the trip didn't turn out that bad, after 7 and a half just slightly annoying hours and his help getting through the Serbian customs on the other end he left us with a smile.

Btw. The route we took over the motorway must be one of the most boring and soul sucking sceneries I have ever!! driven through.

So now we are on the Serbian border, the Bulgarian border within reach, funny enough this was the one I was worried about before we left home.

It was raining buckets. Its dark and there seems to be a unbelievable long queue to get over the border.

“we are not doing this again” loml says. There must be a way to get back into the main checking area (we were still in the middle of massive lorries on the freight side)

We sneaked the van forward, in between waiting lorries, who all seemed to be on a dinner break, nothing moved, just people standing around under rain protection, having out little camp stoves and cooking their tea.

Some blasted their horns at us but most just ignored us, we made it to the front of the line, double parked next to a big lorry in front of a barrier next to a single passport checking station and the loml got out for an adventure of his own….

He walked in the pouring rain up a long hill, after about 50 meters I couldn't see him anymore it rained so hard. He was gone for ages and I got quite worried. When I came back his face was like thunder. Apparently there was only one guy on the Bulgarian side as well and all he could get out of him was “you got to come with lorry”. For this my loml got soaked to the bone, I won’t bore you with the words he had about this.

He shouted “enough of this” and stormed of to the single passport checking place. When he came back he smiled. He had explained our situation to the nice guy there and that we would like to get out and cross over back onto the motorway to try to get through the normal border check in.

He let us out!!! And wished us good luck. If I could have I would have kissed him.

The barrier came up, we drove out and sneaked our way back onto the motorway. I was petrified, what if it doesn't work? We would have to go back and start again on the other side behind the line of lorries who seriously seemed to hunker down for the night. It was 8pm.

We arrived on the passport control, I shamelessly used the cuteness of my dog, panting and paw waving at the smitten lady behind the glass to get us through that one.

Then came the custom control, I tried the same thing, dog paw waving, this time there were two guys, not so impressed with the dog but starting to chat to me. Oh you are from Germany? One said and tried out his very best German. Cool I can work with that.

I still think as we drove up to them, because of the angle of the van they thought we were driving a camper van because as they waved us through and we pulled forward I could see their brows furrow in puzzlement, they looked at each other took a step towards us and then with a “ah what the hell” look they stepped back again.

I nearly wept, I couldn't believe we had made it through this easily.

The Trip, Part Five

So now we are in Bulgaria. We stopped at a petrol station and met the Bulgarian Olympic gymnastic team, seriously! Unfortunately they were all queuing for the same toilet as me.

We bought our vignette and of we went. We were determined to make the Turkish border that night and after a hopefully short and uneventful control, find a place to sleep.

The trip through Bulgaria went without a hitch, apart from nearly dropping into a hole in the road in the middle of a main junction just on the border of Sofia. It woke us right up. Parts of the roads are really horrendous and its very tiring to drive them with a wobbling overstuffed van.

Sometime later we stopped in a routine traffic control, it gave me a moment of panic to see two guys waving us down in the middle of nowhere in the dark (about 2 o`clock in the morning) but I could see their police car and we stopped. After realizing that we were all the way from GB they were very nice and we were off again.

At about 4:00am we hit the border.

The checkpoint going out is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Just one little hut and because we were  overtired and the loml obviously sits on the right hand side of the cab we approach the hut from that side (windows on both sites).

The two guys behind the window didn't want to see our passports…… after a short while they asked loml for his driving license, this was a first. He started getting it out and one of the guys waved him off.

“We are just having you on mate” he said in perfect English. We were just wondering if you had a license……because you are actually on the wrong site of the road! They had a good laugh.

So there was actually just one window for each site, driving in and driving out, we backed the van up, the loml had red ears, never a good sign. “patronizing !”££$%^^” he muttered. But apart from this everything was fine, I didn't care anyway, I was just so tired.

Then we hit the first Turkish checkpoint. They took an automated photo of the number plate, were very friendly and waved us through to the next station, saying “welcome to Turkey!”

The next station was the passport station, and upon trying to get the loml`s visa there, we were told that we should have gotten it in a place in between these stations, looking like a big duty free shop. We got our Turkish car insurance there as well.

We were told to drive through both passport and customs control and then walk back and do the required things on foot. We did this and the loml got on his way.

Upon coming back he told me that everything was A-OK and he had talked to the customs people already. We had to drive to the x-ray hall, he understood that instead of getting searched we would get x-rayed, happy days.

We did this, parked, got out, talked to the officer at the x-ray hall and then everything went wrong.

We were told to empty the van!!!!

No, that couldn't be right, we were supposed to get x-rayed.

A lot of arguing and blah blah blah followed, it was now 6 o`clock and finally we were told to go away, come back at 7:30 for the shift change (where did I hear this before?) and the director would be arriving about that time as well.

We were tired, miserable and very confused.

At 7:30 we had another palaver, we were told the reason for all this was:

A couple of times a day a car gets picked randomly by the computer. Once you are in the computer you will get x-rayed. You can not say no to this or as we offered to turn around and drive back to Bulgaria and try again later. It's out of their hands, it's in the national computer and not even the director can make a change to this.

So far so good. The problem for us was, they were not interested in the things we had on the van, they wanted to x-ray the van itself, to check if something was hidden in the bodywork etc. And for this the van needs to be empty! Their x-ray machine is not strong enough to x-ray the body when its loaded.

We asked the director if we could cross over to the lorry x-ray machine, since this one is much stronger.

He talked to the relevant people and as he came back into the hall where we had moved the van for unloading, I could see on his face that it is bad news. The other x-ray machine was run by a different company and they were not willing to help.

I burst out into tears, quite frankly I was finished, done, end of the line. The director kept on apologizing, saying that he was so so sorry and we could have everything we wanted, drinks, shower, anything he could do for us. I just cried more and wished at least at that moment that I would have stayed in England.

My loml is a very strong guy but even then it took us 2 hours to unload it, 10 min for the x-ray and 3 hours to load it back up. The loml was drenched in sweat and looked 10 years older.

After all this I went to the office with our papers and asked the girl behind the counter if we could go. She said “hang on a second, what have you got on your van?” “furniture” “let me check” … I give her the LOOK .

“if you think that after all this we would unload again just so that you can now do your job that you should have done while it was unloaded, there WILL BE DEAD PEOPLE”

I think she got the drift. She stamped our papers and off we went.

It was now 2:00 in the afternoon Easter Monday, the whole thing had taken us 10 hours.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. We slept for 2 hours on the side of a little country track, the loml on the grass next to the van and me and the dog inside, being woken by a Turkish driver repeatedly tapping his horn and when he saw my head pop up he drove off. He probably thought the loml was dead next to the van because he never moved.

We had a lovely ferry crossing as well, 20 min. sleep, bliss (the thing is I can absolutely not sleep in a driving car)

Then another hour or so just behind Izmir because the lomls eyes were crossing and we arrived at the house at about 11 o`clock on Tuesday.

I have hardly any recollection of the next 2 days.

I love having my stuff with me now. Would I do this again??

HELL NO.

Not even if I`m drunk :D

true words :)

the only thing I could compare this trip with is giving birth lol once things have started you have to get on with it, no way out how ever much you want it and how ever bad the pain is :)

but I must say i`m very very happy to have my things over here now, makes the place feel like home, especially as I have to be on my own for at least this year, apart from the holidays.

Many thanks to all of you for showing an interest in my journey xxxx writing about it was cathartic,

but if I ever!!! have to move again it will be with a suitcase in hand and nothing more

• 8 months later...

Wow  but I would just like to offer my experience to give readers an alternative impression. I have driven to Turkey many times with few border difficulties which have reduced each time. On all occasions the car - an estate was stuffed with boaty things.

The penultimate time I drove maybe it was 2006 I had an inflatable rib and trailer on the roof and a caravan on tow. Only the caravan was stripped out and packed with household stuff. I went the long way round to avoid the mountains viz through Hungary Romania Bulgaria.

It was slow but at least I kept a space for sleeping in the caravan. The scariest moment  was crossing the Danube by ferry at the border between Romania and Hungary. It's a very steep and long ramp each  side. Going down was OK but up ..... surprised the clutch  didn't burn .

Ferry was 2 barges lashed together requiring a U turn at one end. The barges float at different heights depending on the load.

Only issue at the Turkish border was customs wanted to  see separate registration papers for the caravan. I did not have any. So they stamped my  passport instead - meaning I had to  take it out with me which I did.

Otherwise I can add Romanian roads are the pits and its true the border staff change shift at 08.00. Arrive then and they prefer not to  have their breakfast disturbed... Confirmed by  the last trip. Car fully loaded  with large L bath covered on the roof and a Turkish plate. Less than 10 minutes to  cross the border.

As I get older I am less inclined to hurry. Taking the ferry from Venice to  Igoumenitsa is very relaxing and now the Greek side is all motorway to  Ipsala. It's more money but the view up  the Grand Canal from the top  deck is unforgettable.

• 5 months later...

Oh dear!

I've just re-read Mouse's posts about doing the long drive, the reason I was checking her story again is that tomorrow we leave Cornwall, destination Turkey!!!

I may be feeling some slight trepidation after re reading mouses incredible journey on the other hand, our ten year old, geography mad son is so excited he can barely speak let alone sleep and hubby is in the process of organising the ins and outs of the proverbial cats backside in record time (in a week - it was just last Monday that we decided we were all doing the drive!)

Interestingly he said to mention that this year. unlike last year, he has managed to get car insurance for driving in turkey, arranged in the UK and before we leave, this is with AVIVA, this should mean that the problems of arranging car insurance at the border should be avoided, (but watch this space! :)

We aren't going to be racing there, in fact it will be built into a European road trip of a holiday, I'll post again a little later with route details, our thinking behind why the particular route, and any other helpful snippets you may find interesting.

We are bringing two dogs this year! "Vodka" is the new addition, she is an 18 week old Pappilion and is vaccinated and "passported" up to the hilt in anticipation of a sunnier new life!!!

Now I just need to relax and erase Mouse's story from my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I are planning to drive to Turkey from UK. We've got everything ready, except the car's logbook which we haven't received yet. We haven't spoke to DVLA yet but does it matter if we don't have a logbook.

The reason I don't have one is because the car was purchased recently. Please I need urgent help with this matter.