Sign in to follow this  
lostinparadise

Dental Charges

Rate this topic

A few days ago I had treatment at the dentists and was shocked at the price. It is a couple of years since I had anything major done - so I didnt argue, but put it down to inflation. She seemed to be looking the costs up in a book - so I assumed there is a list of charges which all dentists use. (as the hairdressers do)Just mentioned it to a neighbor and he says he thinks I was charged double at least! I had a root canal treatment in a back upper tooth, which had a previous normal filling which had to be drilled out and then replaced of course, plus one normal injection local anaesthetic. Cost was 210 lira. First session lasted an hour, and she had to give me a temporary filling as the next patient was waiting, so I came back a couple of days later to have the permanent filling put in (no injection that time).I've been using the same dentist for around 10 years I think, so would not expect to be charged extra as a tourist.Does anyone know where I can find a list of charges on the internet perhaps. I've tried a google search but didnt come up with anything useful. (The one website I found which lists them didnt have the price column filled in!) and/or has anyone had similar treatment recently? Is it acceptable to haggle with the dentist? (Ive never done this)

It really depends where you are and what they think they can get away withI would recommend that people ask before the treatment what the cost is likely to be. I have had treatment in levent in Istanbul, and also at a very good private dentist in isparta and paid 70TL for rootcanal treatment

I found some information on this site.It says that root canal work costs 150-350tl but as IbrahimAbi says, it's best to ask before you have treatment. Dentists do have a list that they work from but they will charge some people less.

My daughter had a root canal and 3 fillings 2 weeks ago and it cost 435 tl.. she did have 3 or 4 appointments as she is young and the dentist didnt want to do too much at one time incase it put her off dentists.My son got a tooth pulled which cost 60 tl yet a friend got one pulled for 30tl in a dentist 6 miles out of Kusadasi.

About a month ago my husband had a tooth pulled for 70tl plus a filling for 50tl. I myself have had a couple of fillings in the last 2 years for 50tl each (from a different dentist), who said if I wanted a receipt it would cost 72tl because that meant she'd have to pay tax on it. My husband's dentist also didn't give a receipt for the work.I think dentists make pretty good money, and they can choose how much (or how little) to declare for tax purposes.

Thanks for replies. It looks like its a bit of a lottery! I live in Fethiye, which seems to have become more expensive than bigger cities for everything (except salad ingredients!)I was way too busy dealing with my nerves (!) to think of checking the cost first. It looks as if she hasnt overcharged me, just charged me the government listed rate without making any discount.I'd be really interested to know if the people who were charged the bargain prices were actually asked by the dentist for a higher price and made 'pazarlık' to get the lower price? Or was that simply the price the dentsit asked in the first place?

My dentist asked if I was fussy & wanted a receipt, and then explained the official price list. Then she said if I didn't require a receipt she would charge the lower price. She accepted cash in hand without even asking for my name or other details !

Its never occurred to me to ask the dentist for a receipt! I think I ususally pay cash if the cost is relatively low, and use a bank card if its high.It looks like I have been using one who pays her taxes.

Officially, you are supposed to be given a receipt for everything here (this is to make sure they pay their taxes), but a lot of traders don't routinely give them unless you ask. You should always get one if you ask -- even at your local bakkal ! Of course we never get receipts from the pazar as I think the belediye or maliye just don't know how to enforce it. There's such a lot of "under-the-counter" business going on.According to the Maliye, it's an offence for the trader not to give a receipt, and an offence for the customer not to make sure he gets one. Sometimes Zabita will wait outside a shop and ask customers coming out (who have bought something) if they have a receipt. This happened to my husband in Ankara, and he was led back into the shop to confront the trader, then allowed to leave while the officer dealt with the trader. We don't know what happened -- whether the trader was fined or had to pay a bribe..... whatever ?Seems to be difficult to enforce some of these laws in Turkey.