New Customs Regulations?

Rate this topic

I prefer to take natural health products, and regularly order these online - I cannot find them locally. I've just placed an order with a firm a regularly use - and discovered a note to Turkish customers only - that the Turkish government has just introduced even more customs restrictions, so that orders must be under a total value of 80 USD, not weigh more than 3 lbs ...and can no longer be delivered by DHL or UPS but have to be sent by the much slower post.

Does anyone out there know any more about this (I am hoping the firm may have got it wrong somehow - ever the optimist -!)

Turkey is home, has been for 13 years now - I don't have the money to make trips outside . But up until now I have not had any problems with shopping online for this type of thing. Ive used the firm now telling me about new customs regulations regularly in recent years without a problem. So it seems something has changed in the last few weeks in connexion with Turkish customs regulations.

Ah I see. Well, yes LiP, I saw something on another forum about a recent change in Customs regulations and yes they will be changing it a lot more in the future I'm afraid. This is because Turkey has a massive trade deficit (more imports than exports). As, similar to alcohol, they can't ban imports they will simply slap more tax on, The good news is Turks, like Russians, believe in herbal remedies and if you search around maybe you can find equivalents here. It can be a pain yes, and I get asked to bring loads of things back by students and friends each time I go home. I have big dermatitis problems with my skin and can only use aqueous cream to wash my face which I bring from home each time in a big tub:) There are some companies in Turkey who do mail order as well. Good luck!

Thanks Benh. I've just searched and found a Turkish forum website (I mean one thats conducted in Turkish language).... with pages of angry messages relating to the new regulations by this particular company! It looks like they may have imposed the new limits themselves because of problems with customs ... (probably people ordering many of the same item and therefore being suspected of importing not just for their own personal use?) The forum urges everyone to complain to iherb about this new rule........ I've just done so. The courier firms process customs themselves - so looks as if iherb have had items returned. This could explain why they are saying post only from now on. (then its the customers problem).

Its hard to find the type of thing I order locally (Fethiye has its charms but is a bit of a backwater). The other problem is, when and if I do find an equivalent it is often 8 times the price - totally unaffordable.

I will hunt for Turkish online sites. But I think you said recently on another topic that protein powder was a crazy price even in Istanbul. I recommended iherb to you at that time!!!

Yet another reason to work on my Turkish language. (I tried google translator but it is so pathetically bad I had to go back to the Turkish to even begin to understand!)

LiP, hmm...yes...sounds like not a good time to be shipping from abroad as these Customs duties are newly introduced and causing mayhem. Yes, you did recommend iherb to me but that ain't the same as bodybuilding whey:)) Also I take stuff like Creatine and Glutamine and these are all sports supplements and there is a difference between that and what you want. I do also take something called Revenol for breast problems and this comes from Belgium and I get it shipped to the UK and pick it up from there. Since that time I met a hunky Brazilian guy at the gym (nice sport I do!) who gave me the name of a sports supplement and powder shop in Taksim that I NEVER knew existed! Was very grateful because my gym orders Weider for me but it costs nearly three times as much as it does in Europe and although I do schlepp it back from the UK, it's pretty heavy and bulky in my suitcase. The aforementioned shop only does sports stuff which I think isn't what you want but there IS a shop in Nisantisi which sells such exotic stuff as tofu (actually made in Turkey) and lots of other herbal stuff and I wonder if they ship across Turkey? Next time I'm in Nisantisi (which won't be for a while as I've been caught by the Istanbul annual flu epidemic) I'll ask them.

Yeah, I doped and have had lots of hormonal probs since then - you pay a price for doing sport seriously. I'm sorry to hear about your ailments. As a former nurse I can say that some serious conditions can only be solved by conventional medicine but yes, homeopathic remedies have great value as a 'top-up.' I'm surprised Fethiye doesn't have more available with its large foreign community...

• 10 months later...

Yeah, I doped and have had lots of hormonal probs since then - you pay a price for doing sport seriously. I'm sorry to hear about your ailments. As a former nurse I can say that some serious conditions can only be solved by conventional medicine but yes, homeopathic remedies have great value as a 'top-up.' I'm surprised Fethiye doesn't have more available with its large foreign community...

benhalterci, I just joined this forum but noticed you were a lifter as well, look to be far more advanced than myself but I had some specific questions about things we use in our sport, proteins, hormones etc but seems like I'm not able to pm a member, do you have an email I could contact you at to ask a couple questions? I don't wanna be a headache so if you're busy no worries just thought i'd try.