Sign in to follow this  
lostinparadise

Following A Gluten Free Diet In Turkey

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac disease (gluten allergy) in the UK years ago and followed a glutenfree (this is mainly no wheat containing products) diet there for years. I received alot of substitutes - e.g. spaghetti, bread etc on prescription, and also found other substitutes in health food shops etc.I did let things go when I began living here ... it was so hard not to. Although I dont eat anything like the amount of wheat the average person (let alone the average Turk!) consumes. Health has generally improved greatly by living here ... but I do still get problems with digestive cramps etc and want to try living without wheat again.I wondered if anyone else out there is following this kind of diet (no products containing wheat, rye, sweetcorn) ....and if they had any tips for me on good substitutes and from where they are available.

Thanks for the useful link, Abi:) In fact Turkey is backward as regards general health and fitness and this includes special diets. I had no idea (as it says in the link) that no fewer than a million Turks actually suffer from gluten intolerance and you'd therefore think some enterprising Turkish businessman or restaurateur would get their finger out and address this niche market, but no:( LostinParadise - I suppose you cook with things such as rice or potato? Last time I looked, Migros in Levent had gluten free pasta. Maybe Migros has a website and you can order from it? I believe your Turkish is good so you can navigate around the website. And you could google in Turkish for other things. One shop in Nistantisi does tofu (first time I've ever seen it in Turkey). Of course these things are hard to find and when one does, they are expensive. My whey powder that I use for training has to be specially ordered and cost twice as much as in the UK:(

I still cannot get the English Language Zaman to open - weird as everyone else seems to do so ok. I did search for Sabancı and Gluten and got various Turkish pages - some delicious sounding receipes - But my budget doesnt run to employing a cook, and I know from experience that any receipe books I buy seem to stay on the shelf while I grab whatevers quickest in the kitchen.I did try to give up potatoes (as a weight loss move) but have come back to them in this colder weather, also buying big chunks of pumpkin. And brown rice. Also oatmeal to make porridge for breakfast. My local supermarket is a Migros - but the prices for anything imported can be insane. A huge chunk of my food budget goes on soya milk (I cant take normal cows milk) there. I did see tofu once several months ago - picked it up, saw the price (for a tiny block) and put it down again. But havent seen that for ages. Lately they seem to have phased out healthier food (soups and sauces without additives etc) in favor of expensive junk - crazy priced imported breakfast cereals and alcohol etc I looked at the website just now, but to order you had to select an area for delivery from a drop down list - and Fethiye wasnt on it. (Nor was Mugla - Marmaris and Bodrum were listed separately) Lets hope that the interest in healthy food spreads to Fethiye soon.I sometimes buy protein powder (whey upsets my impossibly sensitive digestion, but am ok with rice and other types) but, as its so expensive here, I get it via the internet from a firm in the US called www.iherb.com. They use DHL and UPS to deliver. (hadnt thought of looking on there for gluten free ....I buy supplements from them usually ... will check their website now)