Sign in to follow this  
lozengelegend

Travelling In & Out Of Didim By Bus!

Rate this topic

For those of you who are a bit independent, it's pretty easy to get to & from Didim by bus, from Soke, Aydin, Izmir and occasionally Bodrum. And it's cheap! Bus travel in Turkey is a really popular way to get around the country and the local services out of Didim are run by Didim Seyahat which means Didim Travel. It's the local intercity bus with services to Bodrum, Izmir, Soke and Aydin.

http://www.didimseyahat.com/in/indexin.php

Where to get the bus. You can pick up Didim Seyahat's services from Didim bus garage (behind the hospital), from the ticket office outside Golf Pizza / opposite Valentines Bar on Ataturk Bulvari (down at the beach end of the main road), or at any bus stop on the route along the main road towards the hospital and the bus garage. For Soke, Aydin and Izmir there's also a bus garage at Mavisehir. On some routes you will need to change buses at the bus garage, but on every route there is an assistant on the bus who can help you. Oh and if you live somewhere really random, far from civilised places like Altinkum, Didim bus garage & Mavisehir, you can always flag the bus down mid-route. Just make sure it's going to the right place!

When the services run. Izmir, Aydin and Soke buses run throughout the year. Bodrum buses only run through the summer season - if anyone can find out when they start, please say so! The website kind of implies from 15th June but that might only be when that particular timetable starts.

Where the services terminate. The Soke and Bodrum bus garages are fairly central; if you're going to Soke or Bodrum you can probably walk to your destination or at most take a local dolmus. The Aydin and Izmir bus garages are on the outskirts of town. When you arrive you can get a free service into the city centre - you will need to ask where to pick it up from & tell them precisely where you are going because there might be more than one service - or if you're not going into the centre you might need to take a public bus anyway. I've done the Izmir route countless times and I STILL hate trying to get the service bus - it's run by another company (Efe/Ege Tur, I can't remember which), goes from a completely different part of the bus garage and the people who run the service are kind of scary & rude! I haven't taken the Aydin service before but the bus garage itself is a lot smaller and all on one level so it's probably easier :)

How much the bus costs. Well this at least is easy and clear on the Didim Seyahat website. To Bodrum & Izmir it's 10 YTL/lira one way, to Aydin it's 8.5 YTL and to Soke it's 4.5 YTL. You can also get off the bus anywhere on its route and if you know the name of where you want to get off you can even pay accordingly! There will often be a price list. The Soke bus is a good way to get to Akkoy, for example. You can't buy a return ticket by the way, and you CAN pay on the bus (although it's better to buy from the ticket desk for the Izmir service because it's often very busy).

Coming back. As I mentioned above, you can't buy a return ticket so when you come back, find the Didim Seyahat ticket desk and get your ticket there. You can buy your ticket on the bus but you've got a better guarantee of a seat if you get it at the ticket desk.

They are quite a safe way to travel if you're a woman on your own as well. I'd pick a bus over a taxi any day...

Hi, my family and I went on holiday to Altinkum last year and had a great time. However we did find that on occasion it was a little 'lively' for our taste. We went on a boat trip from Altinkum harbour to a more relaxed resort called Akbuk which we instantly fell in love with! We got a Dolmus back from Akbuk and it only took about 20 minutes. This is ideal for us because any time we feel like it we can pop in to Altinkum but be based in quieter Akbuk.We've already booked an apartment through akbukholidays.com which comes highly recommended by a friend who stayed there earlier in the year. We are travelling out in February and wondered if anyone knows if the Dolmus still operates between Akbuk and Altinkum at this time of year?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks Rebecca x

For the information of anyone coming out at this time of year, there is a dolmus service between Altinkum and Akbuk, three buses run every hour, so no shortage of transport. Les