Ken Grubb

Why Should I Move To Antalya, And Why Not?

Rate this topic

jeeze i want to move to Kas now... so many good words said about it!!! i have to admit even if i was single or not even from such a short stop of there i would move there in a flash to try it out for size...funny isnt it how a place can stay in your mind...its on my 'to do' list for a longer vist..keep us informed Ken of your thoughts..its nice to kind of read someones thinking on here...good luck ;-)

jeeze i want to move to Kas now... so many good words said about it!!!

I agree! These testimonials have really made me wonder ... Oh well, I have to go for a visa run this month, so maybe it will be my chance to check out Kas at the same time!

Yer Lucid, and don't tell anyone about the wine gums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(dont worry l'm getting help)Bev x

'm trying! it's hard but l know - It's the Wine gums Or me!I'm going for the MIGETS......................... :) Tell them all that l loved them!

Less of this subversive conversation please, you could get banned from the forum. :)

Hi Ken, Just to say re moving to Antalya - Chris was right it's Kas, no ifs no buts....Bev x

Ken, why haven't you considered Istanbul? ok, my horror stories may have put you off but I live in a noisy area with selfish neighbours but believe me there are sone lovely areas here. For example, the Asian side is much quieter and as for meeting people there are loads of singles and I've met quite a few nice Americans. As you know, a lot of Americans live in Istanbul, The resorts are too hot and touristy in the season and dead in the winter. Aka sounds beautiful but too quiet for singles...

I have been going through old topics and found this one about my thinking of moving to Kaş or Antalya. Since then, I have lived in both! One day I was in Istanbul, and Cukurbagli called me. He said there was a one-bedroom apartment available in Kaş for 450 TL per month. By plane and bus, I went from Istanbul to Kaş.

I immediately fell in love with Kaş. I just had to live there. Within four hours of my arrival, I found and met with the landlord, and signed a one-year contract. I still had a few months left on my apartment contract in Izmir, but I didn't care. I straightened it out.

Kaş is, indeed, an enchanting place. I would go into the town square and sit at a tea garden, and go into what I came to call the Kaş trance." Just looking around, taking in the beauty and charm of the town, while thinking "wow. I live here."

I loved Kaş. But the winters were indeed dull. Most everything closed. And the expats were usually twice-retired. A restaurateur told me "you have come to Kaş fifteen years too early." 

Oh I loved Kaş. But I needed more activity year-round. So after three years of living in Kaş, I moved to Antalya.

Antalya, where I still live, has a much younger and more active expat group. Everybody has a day job. And Antalya definitely doesn't die in the winter. Even late at night there are a few restaurants open.

I now live in the city center of Antalya. I don't like the traffic and the crowded-ness, but I do like the transportation system. I can go anywhere in Antalya cheaply. And to any city in Turkey, especially to Istanbul, in an hour on a flight which costs less than 100 TL.

Like in Izmir, no proper beaches except for the pebble beach in Konyaaltı and the soily-sand beach at Lara.

Compared to Izmir? Hard to compare. Two similar, yet different, cities. After being here now for five years, I now think Antalya has a slight edge over Izmir.

Since I have been here for five years, it's probably time to move again. Now I am thinking of moving to the Marmaris or Bodrum area. Maybe İçmeler or Gümbet. I am going to İçmeler and Gümbet this summer to get a feel for those places. Will I next move there? We will see.

And one day, I might just move to Istanbul.

On 19/02/2018 at 01:11, Ken Grubb said:

Like in Izmir, no proper beaches except for the pebble beach in Konyaaltı and the soily-sand beach at Lara.

Compared to Izmir? Hard to compare. Two similar, yet different, cities. After being here now for five years, I now think Antalya has a slight edge over Izmir.

I live on the west side of Konyaalti (Antalya) near the mountains and where I am is both like a resort town and a large city. Wow man, comparing Antalya city beaches with Izmir city, just like that? I went to Konyaalti Beach every day all summer, it is a blue flag beach with crystal clear water that looks like an aquarium (thanks to the pebbles). It is simply awesome diving and swimming with the fish. Saying that there are no proper beaches in Antalya? The sea smells in Izmir and there are no beaches within the city borders. Antalya is also a large city with a population of almost 1.5 million and you can swim in beautiful clear water just in front of the city. For me that is better than any other Turkish or world city. The slum city of Izmir has more of the social and cultural life as a much larger city, but Antalya City is significantly more beautiful to look at, with a very long coastline and amazing countryside just near and around it.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 12.19.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 12.13.38.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 12.21.02.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 12.12.50.png

I have recently learned how ignorant I was in my perception of a "proper beach." I'm from the East Coast of the United States. To me, a "proper beach" has always been a big, wide, sandy beach. I hadn't even seen a pebble beach until I came to Turkey. Lately I have met a LOT of people who prefer pebble beaches to sandy beaches. Pebble beaches were what they were used to, or they preferred them because the sand didn't get into any uncomfortable places. I hadn't even thought about that before. Anyway, since my first and latest posts, I have changed my idea about what a "proper beach" is.

Yes, Konyaalti may be a nice looking beach but I would never venture there again because the last time I swam there, both my feet were bleeding badly from the the very sharp shingle ... no wonder they were selling Jelly Shoes everywhere.  And I was not the only one who had bleeding feet.  There was a small child about 3 or 4 years old crying her eyes out whilst her mother attempted to console her.  Blood all over the place and trails of it all along Konyaalti Beach.  It seems odd to me that only a 50-minutes drive from there is Side (pronounced See-Day) which has the 2nd longest soft sandy beach in Turkey, alongside the longest promenade in the Mediterranean  It is also home to the Apollo Temple which is where Anthony and Cleopatra fell in love;  nowadays many weddings take place there at sunset which is when the sun beams through the Apollo Temple's pillars;  a lovely spot for a wedding.  If you are there at sunset, extend your arm with the palms facing upwardws and open... then the sun will settle in the palm of your hand like a small shiny balloon.  It makes great photos!  

Please don't misunderstand me ...  I do love Antalya and often go there for a day out from Side for a change.  I like its interesting museums, the many big shopping centres, Old Town Kaleici with its super architecture and atmosphere, great choice of restaurants and I like the harbour area too.  From there you can take a boat trip to one of my favourite places ... Duden Waterfall Park... the entrance fee iws 10 TL per person.   It has several waterfalls and good pathways between them.  There is also a lovely cave overlooking the biggewt waterfall and you can peek through and take photos from there.  Wear sturdy, waterproof shoes though as there are deep puddles throughout that cave.  Just outside Duden is a very nice restaurant offering good food and equally good measures on their drinks.  Sit outside at one of the tables and you will be able to reach out and actually touch the waterfalls.  

But what I don't like about Antalya is the traffic, the noise, the general hustle and bustle of the place that never seems to stop and take a breath.  This to me outweighs all of its good points and I would never wish to live there but for a day trip it's a super place to visit .  I go there every Sunday to the 11am mass which is in English with guitars and singing.  It's called St Pauls Cultural Centre and is in the heart of Kaleici.  It is above a coffee shop and is run by an American priest.  After the service, we all gather below and have a coffee - perhaps a cake too - and a good old chin wag!  The church is a Christian one - not Catholic, Presbytarian, Baptist, just general Christian.   I have taken a few of my Muslim Turkish friends to the 11am mass as they were interested to see what a Christian service was like.  They sat at the back of the church with headphones on for the translations and they were all impressed and said they had enjoyed the experience. 

St Pauls do not just have the 11am mass but severeal other events too.  Take a look at their calendar here ... https://www.facebook.com/pg/spccturkey/events/?ref=page_internal

All in all, I am more than happy to live in Side  Ken ... why have you not given that some consideration?  You seemed to like it a lot when I met you there a few years ago ...

Angela x