Ken Grubb

Why Should I Move To Antalya, And Why Not?

Rate this topic

jeeze i want to move to Kas now... so many good words said about it!!! i have to admit even if i was single or not even from such a short stop of there i would move there in a flash to try it out for size...funny isnt it how a place can stay in your mind...its on my 'to do' list for a longer vist..keep us informed Ken of your thoughts..its nice to kind of read someones thinking on here...good luck ;-)

jeeze i want to move to Kas now... so many good words said about it!!!

I agree! These testimonials have really made me wonder ... Oh well, I have to go for a visa run this month, so maybe it will be my chance to check out Kas at the same time!

Yer Lucid, and don't tell anyone about the wine gums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(dont worry l'm getting help)Bev x

'm trying! it's hard but l know - It's the Wine gums Or me!I'm going for the MIGETS......................... :) Tell them all that l loved them!

Less of this subversive conversation please, you could get banned from the forum. :)

Hi Ken, Just to say re moving to Antalya - Chris was right it's Kas, no ifs no buts....Bev x

Ken, why haven't you considered Istanbul? ok, my horror stories may have put you off but I live in a noisy area with selfish neighbours but believe me there are sone lovely areas here. For example, the Asian side is much quieter and as for meeting people there are loads of singles and I've met quite a few nice Americans. As you know, a lot of Americans live in Istanbul, The resorts are too hot and touristy in the season and dead in the winter. Aka sounds beautiful but too quiet for singles...

I have been going through old topics and found this one about my thinking of moving to Kaş or Antalya. Since then, I have lived in both! One day I was in Istanbul, and Cukurbagli called me. He said there was a one-bedroom apartment available in Kaş for 450 TL per month. By plane and bus, I went from Istanbul to Kaş.

I immediately fell in love with Kaş. I just had to live there. Within four hours of my arrival, I found and met with the landlord, and signed a one-year contract. I still had a few months left on my apartment contract in Izmir, but I didn't care. I straightened it out.

Kaş is, indeed, an enchanting place. I would go into the town square and sit at a tea garden, and go into what I came to call the Kaş trance." Just looking around, taking in the beauty and charm of the town, while thinking "wow. I live here."

I loved Kaş. But the winters were indeed dull. Most everything closed. And the expats were usually twice-retired. A restaurateur told me "you have come to Kaş fifteen years too early." 

Oh I loved Kaş. But I needed more activity year-round. So after three years of living in Kaş, I moved to Antalya.

Antalya, where I still live, has a much younger and more active expat group. Everybody has a day job. And Antalya definitely doesn't die in the winter. Even late at night there are a few restaurants open.

I now live in the city center of Antalya. I don't like the traffic and the crowded-ness, but I do like the transportation system. I can go anywhere in Antalya cheaply. And to any city in Turkey, especially to Istanbul, in an hour on a flight which costs less than 100 TL.

Like in Izmir, no proper beaches except for the pebble beach in Konyaaltı and the soily-sand beach at Lara.

Compared to Izmir? Hard to compare. Two similar, yet different, cities. After being here now for five years, I now think Antalya has a slight edge over Izmir.

Since I have been here for five years, it's probably time to move again. Now I am thinking of moving to the Marmaris or Bodrum area. Maybe İçmeler or Gümbet. I am going to İçmeler and Gümbet this summer to get a feel for those places. Will I next move there? We will see.

And one day, I might just move to Istanbul.