Sign in to follow this  
tylerbabe

Translate To Turkish

Rate this topic

I want to buy your car. : Arabanızı satın almak istiyorumI can offer you 3000 lira : 3000 lira teklif edebilirimHas it a mot certificate : Mot ruhsatı var mı? ( depending on what mot is, which I dont know exactly, you can use ' mot belgesi' as well. In either case,the seller will understand)

I want to buy your car. : Arabanızı satın almak istiyorumI can offer you 3000 lira : 3000 lira teklif edebilirimHas it a mot certificate : Mot ruhsatı var mı? ( depending on what mot is, which I dont know exactly, you can use ' mot belgesi' as well. In either case,the seller will understand)

:lol:

I want to buy your car. : Arabanızı satın almak istiyorum

Saffron, can you please explain to the 'i' after arabaniz?I understand the 'iz' to be the suffix indicating 'you' as in 'your car' but what is the 'i' for? Also, what is 'satin'?I would have thought Arabanizi almak istiyorum would make sense?

Assuming this is a vehicle in Turkey, Saffron, what is the equivalent of the MOT, the annual vehicle inspection that has to be carried out in UK? Is it called 'muayene' (which means examination or inspection, I think)?Sandy, there are two you forms in Turkish (like in French and German if you know either of those languages), they are sen (informal and singular) and siz, formal and plural. Saffron has definitely provided you with the best translation of the phrase, the alternative you have been quoted is not appropriate as it uses the informal form of you. Plus the grammar is wrong as it hasn't got the correct ending on car to show it is the direct object of the sentence, which is the point Amy raised and Saffron will explain better I am sure.

Yes Fil, the Turkish equivalent of an MOT Test (Ministry of Transport Test) is Araç Muayenesi (vehicle inspection). If you look in the second of the two registration cards for the vehicle you will see the Araç Muayene Pulu (Vehicle Inspection Stamp) and the date it was last inspected, for a private car that should be within the last two years.The correct way to say 'to buy' is 'satın almak', almak by itself just means 'to take' although the person you are talking to will probably understand if you also say you will offer an amount of money. Satmak is to sell so you are effectively saying 'sell buy'. Saffron will explain it.

Hi Amy..Once I posted a detailed article about the use of 'i'. I think it was a bit confusing, so, instead of wrting the URL of my post, let me explain shortly why we have a 'i' here. As far as I know, this is one of the most confusing points of Turkish for learners.Sometimes summarizing a point in order to simplify the subject matter is risky. In particular for language learning. Therefore, when I write about a feature of Turkish, I try to make it comprehensive. I think I should write down another article about the use of 'i', but for the time being, this one is a short explanation.Unlike English,we dont have a word corresponding to 'the' in English.Please compare:Any book :Bir kitap almak istiyorumThe book:Kitabı almak istiyorum (the book in question)Your book:Kitabını almak istiyorum (kitabın -your book + ı)As you see, the 'ı' at the end makes the book a specific book, unlike 'a book'.Here we have another point. The book is the direct object of the sentences. Please compare again:Bir eve yaklaşırken saygılı olmalı: One should be respectful while approaching a houseBu eve ne zaman gelsem geri dönmek istiyorum: I feel like turning back whenever I come to this house.Senin evine (evin-your house) doğru yürüyorum. I'm walking towards your houseHere the house, ev, has the suffix 'e'. Following the rule of wovel harmony, it can be 'a' as well.The words with that suffix can correspond to 'to', 'for' even 'in, on', So no formula we can make to make the things easier. In other words, we cannot tell when to use the suffix 'i' (ı/ u/ ü) or 'a/e' with a direct comparasion with English. I think the best thing to do is to feel the direct objects in Turkish,which again may not correspond to the concept of direct object of English , in some cases.As to almak or satın almak, please just read the three sentences above again. In which one the speaker 'takes' the book or buys the book? Only from context you can tell..If I sell a car and you want to buy it, safely you can use 'almak' instead of satın almak. But if you say it to someone you dont know, all of a sudden, 'arabanı almak istiyorum', this can be understood in more than one way, depending on the situation..

Well, as to the text about the situation of the car, my vocabulary is limited about the detailes of cars. What we understand from the text is, the four of thetires are new-only one week, the car has just been examined, dye is new, from the water of wipers to the electrical installation, from the horn to the wheel many parts are replaced*. Brakes need to be calibrated/adjusted before going for the car examination. I dont have time for that, a discount can be made accordingly. The car is in a good condition now, but it is a 90 model serçe, afterall..* 'yenilenmek' can be undersood in two ways: The parts are either replaced with new ones, or with a good repair work, they became like new.