Sign in to follow this  
lostinparadise

Are Burglary Rates Rising?

Rate this topic

(Not sure if I am in the right section)I've lived in Fethiye for years and years, and never known of anyone who had their house broken into. Now in the past few months, it has happened to a couple of people I know. Is this just a coincidence, or are burglary rates soaring in small town Turkey?

There have been quite a few on the peninsula in Kas in the years I've lived here, usually at the beginning and end of the season, don't know if there have been more than usual recently though.

Yes there does seem to be an increase generally and as you say it is now happening in places where such thing didn't happen before. Most of the poeple caught seem to be seasonal workers working in the hospitality trade or people working on building sites. I was however reading in the paper recently where two british man were arrested for breaking into an room of one of the hotel employees who worked in the hotel they were staying in. I'm not sure what happened to them but the things they stole were found in their hotel room. I have also read of other nationalities caught breaking in the properties.

I would always advise people not to tell people when asked where they are staying and where and when they are going sightseeing. At night not to leave things laying about such as keys, money, etc and to put them away out of view before they go to bed. Also to be observant of people who may be hanging around their property in cars or on foot for several days. If people are worried they should also get a burglar alarm fitted it's not expensive and will give piece of mind. People should also think about putting locks on their windows, especially patio doors. The window grills that you see across windows do not present a problem to the professional burglar they will either pull them off the wall or saw through the bars. If you want to buy the roll down shutters make sure they are metal ones and not plastic. Unfortunately holiday areas are rich picking grounds for thieves not only here but all over the world.

I would say that the rate of break-in's is still small in comparision to say the UK. Always report the matter to the police even if they didn't get anything.

yes heard of more here and some family members burgled for 1st time ever recently...i think its on the riseand yes maybe seasonal workers are not being paid when they are supposed to be! seems that happens a lot in tourism & then causes a wave of anger and resentment or people are just getting more organised & targetting any home as opposed to just the rich etc...where some burgled they would have been lucky to find more than a weeks shopping money!

I hadnt thought of it being a seasonal thing .... but the timing would certainly fit the latest case Ive heard about.

This was a second floor apartment, and the burglars apparently used a ladder and smashed double glazed glass to get in. But the owners (a Turkish couple) didnt wake up, and the burglars didnt enter their bedroom (as far as they know!). They are v upset but very aware it could have been worse if they had woken and confronted the burglars. Which makes me think ............ if I heard someone moving around in my house at night, what would I do?

Well if it happened to me and I hadn't got dogs I'd phone the police or someone who lived near whilst hiding under my covers. Amazing that those people slept through the noise but probably just as well they did.

Yes, it's better they slept through it because, for sure the thieves would've had a Plan B for dealing with them if they woke up -- they'd surely have been armed with something (or perhaps they sprayed something into the bedroom to ensure no-one woke up -- that's happened before !)I think it pays to have a plan of action before anything like that happens -- keep cash & valuables out of sight, lock doors & windows, and keep the bedroom door locked as well ! We have grilles on both floors, but if they broke in on the ground floor (which we probably wouldn't hear) we also have a grille door at the top of the stairs (with deadlock + 2 bolts), and we'd hear clearly if they tried to cut through that, and then call police. We also don't keep valuables downstairs (which is probably why they stole my curtains -- this was before we installed the grilles). :see_stars[1]:

Noisy dogs is the answer, I can't even get my electricity and water meters read if I'm not here to get hold of the dogs, never mind burglars!

Meral good idea about having an iron lockable gate at the top of the stairs. I'm sorry to say that every time I read about your curtains being stolen it makes me chuckle even though I know that it wasn't a nice thing to happened. I did read in a British newspaper recently that a man had been caught stealing and the reason he got caught was because he only lived a few doors away and amongst the things he stole was some net curtains which the stupid idiot hung up at his window a few days later. The owner of the net curtains had walked past the house and couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the nets hanging up in the window of the neighbours house and reported him to the police.....

Hi Abi, that's OK -- actually everyone chuckles when they hear about it -- even the police were amused because they'd never heard of anyone having curtains stolen before. Personally, I just think they didn't want to leave empty-handed, and probably thought they could get a few lira for them (or use them in their own house maybe), haha ! :wallbash[1]:

you know what jokes aside when i hear of how much newly weds spend on curtains etc my jaw drops everytime....methinks its big buisiness & frankly i guess with your taste Meral they couldnt resist :wallbash[1]: saved themselves a few 100 lira no doubt or saw it as certainly sellable'i have found myself thinking about security recently...and yes the locals dogs do seem to have their wits about them despite being loud & annoying most of the day.

Definitely on the increase since the economic problems hit, i just made my place like a fortress, iron grills on every window bar one which should be unlockable, you do need an escape route in case of fire., iron gates, steel doors and 2 great big dogs that will eat the backside of whoever tries it.

The deterrent is the dogs, most turkish guys run like girls from dogs and if it takes more than 10 minutes to break in anywhere they will just go, the harder you mke it to get in, the less likely they will bother.

Failing that, a baseball bat does come in handy.

When they broke in before i had all the security in, the cheeky gits took a bottle of wine from my chest of wines, except i knew they were a bit thick because there were really expensive foreign wines and the idiots took the cheapest turkish plonk, had they lifted the bottles of Moet, i'd have been pissed off.

Sunonmars, you made a very good point about making sure you have a means of escape in case of fire. Like you and Cukur said dogs are a very good deterent. I have 2 dogs and even the local Jandarma said they wouldn't fancy a burglars chances, if by chance they do defeat the dogs hubby has a rifle always at the ready.

I don't think the Jandarma would fancy their own chances with your dogs Abi:lol:

I agree that dogs seem to be the best deterrent. I would hate to have a house that was covered in iron bars like a fortress so if I didn't have a dog I'd go for an alarm system.

After all this time,we were surprised to receive an official letter from the Chief Prosecutor regarding our stolen curtains! shock2%5B1%5D.gif 

It said our complaint about the theft was being dropped because the time limit had passed !  This being just a month shy of 9 years after the event.  The letter came registered & delivered personally to the door by the PTT.

Yoof!  I had long since replaced & all but forgotten about those curtains.  But it's good to know that bureaucracy is alive & well !!!! :)

When we were not living full time in our home we used pronet, from istanbul. The alarms is monitored 24/7 and if it is tripped they automatically call the number you leave, in our case it was our gardener a few 100 m away, it could be the Jandarma too. Cost about 140TL per month. What price piece of mind?

I wonder what everyone's experience with house care (hiring people to watch over your property while you're away) or letting out property during tourism season is?