Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benhalterci

God Bless My Upstairs Neighbour!

This young Turkish student saved me again! The last time he came to my rescue was when a ginormous rat was lodged between my grille door and front door - he prised it out with a big stick! Yuk...Last night at 11.30 I was getting ready to retire (!) when I heard a whooshing sound and thought it was the local nightclub or some such usual noise but then to my horror I saw water pouring out of the kitchen downstairs cupboard which also houses the water pipes.....!I threw two large towels on the expanding sea in my living room (the kitchen is an American kitchen along one wall of the living room), ran out of the flat and upstairs screaming for help and Zahit ran down and found the place to close off the water pipe which I'd tried to do but failed. I REALLY owe him now, God bless him. If not for him, my laminate floor would be ruined (I had to mop for an hour and then get down on my knees with old t-shirts to get it dried) the electrics gone and worst of all, would have leaked to the crabby old man's flat below me! It seems I've always been lucky here to have had people help me with such problems.Then the local elderly electrician put in a new pipe this morning - the old one was black and frayed. I've done nothing but have stuff repaired for the last two years....those of you prospective purchasers...be careful with old properties. Yes, they are charming but full of problems waiting to hit you when you least expect it!

Poor you, as you say there is always something going wrong. Let's hope this is the last of it.

I'm glad you have such a helpful neighbour. You owe him a few good dinners at least. :)

[[Then the local elderly electrician put in a new pipe this morning]]

Burasi Turkiye! :):)

I don't think he'd accept - he's a very shy young man and doesn't speak English. But he is a hero in my eyes now! It's a good thing there even is such thing as a local electrician here. One by one, the 'small' tradesmen are being squeezed out and replaced by bars and restaurants. My whole street now is like that and we are the only residential property. This area is a goldmine and attracts greedy people who all want a piece of it. However, location alone doesn't guarantee success and I know of two bars who haven't done well. One hardly has any customers despite the fortune spent on decor etc and the one at the bottom of my house has had umpteen problems since it opened since the neighbouring bar has sabotaged her business by getting the Belideye to close her down. There's a kind of restaurant mafia here and these kind of sabotages, bribes to Belideye to shut restaurants down and even physical attacks are not surprising.All in all it's a wierd place to live but I think there should be a balance between residential and commercial. Unfortunately in Turkey (especially in this part of Istanbul) money talks.

I meant that an electrician fixed the water pipe.If he won't come to dinner you'll have to give him a bottle of Raki or if he doesn't drink, a big box of chockies.:)