Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'utilities'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Citizenship
  • Crime & Safety
  • Documents, Forms & Numbers
  • Driving
  • Government & Law
  • Health & Medicine
  • Living in Turkey
  • Money
  • Residence Permits
  • Residence Permit Health Insurance
  • Residence Permit Application Guides
  • Transportation
  • Telephones & Internet
  • Turkish Language
  • Visas
  • Work Permits


  • Turkey
  • Aegean Region
    • Afyonkarahisar
    • Aydın
    • Denizli
    • İzmir
    • Manisa
    • Muğla
    • Kütahya
    • Uşak
  • East Black Sea Region
    • Artvin
    • Giresun
    • Gümüşhane
    • Ordu
    • Rize
    • Trabzon
  • Central Anatolia Region
    • Aksaray
    • Kayseri
    • Kırıkkale
    • Kırşehir
    • Nevşehir
    • Niğde
    • Sivas
    • Yozgat
  • Central East Anatolia Region
    • Bingöl
    • Bitlis
    • Elazığ
    • Hakkari
    • Malatya
    • Muş
    • Tunceli
    • Van
  • Istanbul Region
    • Bazaar Quarter
    • Beyoğlu
    • Bosphorus
    • Sultahahmet
  • East Marmara Region
    • Bilecik
    • Bolu
    • Bursa
    • Düzce
    • Eskişehir
    • Kocaeli
    • Sakarya
    • Yalova
  • Mediterranean Region
    • Adana
    • Antalya
    • Hatay
    • Mersin
    • Burdur
    • Isparta
    • Kahramanmaraş
    • Osmaniye
  • Northeast Anatolia Region
    • Ağrı
    • Ardahan
    • Bayburt
    • Erzincan
    • Erzurum
    • Iğdır
    • Kars
  • Southeast Anatolia Region
    • Adıyaman
    • Batman
    • Diyarbakır
    • Gaziantep
    • Kilis
    • Mardin
    • Şanlıurfa
    • Şırnak
    • Siirt
  • West Anatolia Region
    • Ankara
    • Konya
    • Karaman
  • West Marmara Region
    • Balıkesir
    • Çanakkale
    • Edirne
    • Kırklareli
    • Tekirdağ
  • West Black Sea Region
    • Amasya
    • Bartın
    • Çankırı
    • Çorum
    • Karabuk
    • Kastamonu
    • Samsun
    • Sinop
    • Tokat
    • Zonguldak


  • About Turkey Central
  • Business Directory
  • Forum Support
  • General Support
  • Photo Gallery Support
  • Quizzes
  • Residence Permit Assistance


  • All About Turkey
    • Turkey Generally
    • Living in Turkey
    • Turkey Travel, Tours, and Activities
    • Turkey Property
    • Turkish Culture, Customs, Politics, and Laws
  • Visas, Permits, and Citizenship
    • Visas
    • Residence Permits
    • Work Visas and Work Permits
    • Citizenship
  • Doing Business and Working
    • Digital Nomads, Working Online
    • Doing Business
    • Teaching English
    • Working
  • All Around Turkey
    • Adana
    • Alanya
    • Ankara
    • Antalya
    • Bodrum
    • Cappadocia
    • Çeşme
    • Dalyan
    • Didim
    • Fethiye
    • Istanbul
    • Izmir
    • Kaş and Kalkan
    • Kuşadası
    • Marmaris
    • Mersin
    • Side
    • Other Cities
  • The Lounge
    • Classified Advertising
    • Anything and Everything
    • About Turkey Central

Product Groups

  • Sales
  • Test Affiliate Program Group


  • Turkey Videos
  • Turkish Culture
  • Turkish Cuisine
  • Turkish Language
  • City and Town Videos
    • Adana Videos
    • Alanya Videos
    • Antalya Videos
    • Bodrum Videos
    • Cappadocia Videos
    • Çıralı Videos
    • Dalaman Videos
    • Dalyan Videos
    • Datça Videos
    • Denizli Videos
    • Didim Videos
    • Ephesus Videos
    • Eskişehir Videos
    • Fethiye Videos
    • Gallipoli Videos
    • Gökova Videos
    • Içmeler Videos
    • Istanbul Videos
    • Izmir Videos
    • Kalkan Videos
    • Kaş Videos
    • Kekova Videos
    • Köyceğiz Videos
    • Kuşadası Videos
    • Marmaris Videos
    • Mersin Videos
    • Muğla Videos
    • Ordu Videos
    • Pamukkale and Hierapolis Videos
    • Side Videos
  • Residence Permits
  • Turkish Films with Turkish Subtitles
  • Other Videos


  • Turkey News
  • Foreign News
  • COVID-19 Pandemic News

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL






Found 6 results

  1. Turkey's television system uses the PAL (Phase Alternating Line) system. If your TV and DVD system is PAL or a multi-system which includes PAL, it will work in Turkey. Otherwise it won't work, and there is no converter which can fix the situation. Türkiye Radyo ve Televizyon Kurumu (TRT) TRT is Turkey's state television broadcasting company. It is the only broadcasting company in Turkey. Besides TRT's channels, there is also ATV, CNNTurk, and HaberTurk. All of these channels are accessible for viewing online. Cable Television Cable TV is available in some parts of Turkey with Turksat. Their cable system has over 50 channels including BBC Prime, CNN, Eurosport, and BBC News. Subtitles are often available for programs in Turkish or other languages. Satellite Television Two main companies provide satellite TV services in Turkey - Digiturk and D-Smart. both companies offer a basic or "entry" package, which includes a satellite converter to rent as part of the service agreement. You can then add packages to the basic package, up to the point where you have around 360 television channels. To get satellite TV, go to a local Digiturk or D-Smart sales point. They are often in a TV sales or repair shop. There you can compare the Digiturk and D-Smart plans, benefit from limited-time sales promotions, and choose between them. Payment is normally done by a monthly bill sent to your house. After you get a bill, you can also take it to your Turkish bank and have the amount automatically deducted from your account. English-language TV In the basic satellite TV packages, English-language channels include The Discovery Channels, various movie channels, CNN, BBC, and Eurosport. TV shows which have been dubbed in Turkish may also be watched in English, if available, by navigating to and activating a language setting on your satellite converter. You can also activate Turkish subtitles on the English TV shows, or activate English subtitles on Turkish shows as an aid to learning Turkish. Satellite Dishes If your residential complex has a community satellite dish for the system you want, you don't need to buy a separate dish. Just plug the converter box into the cable TV outlet on the wall and you can receive the signal from the community dish. If your building doesn't have a community dish, you can buy one and have it installed for around 100 TL. Satellite Internet Both Digiturk and D-Smart also offer satellite Internet services. When using satellite internet, remember that your satellite dish is a receiver, not a transmitter. So if you are downloading (receiving) something, it will come at high speed using the satellite. But when you are sending something, it will go out over regular ADSL lines. See Also Turkey cable and Satellite Television Forum: Our forum for all things related to Turkish television. If you have questions, please ask them in the forum. External Links Squid TV: Has dozens of Turkish TV channels that you can watch online. Turk TV Live: Turkish. Another source for watching Turkish television on the internet. Turksat Cable TV Turkish. Digiturk Satellite TV Turkish. DSmart Satellite TV Turkish. Türk Televizyon ve Radyo Kurumu (TRT): Turkish. The television broadcasting company of Turkey. Online TV Channels in Turkish Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  2. Opening a Utilities Account For all utilities, the following documents are usually required for connection or transfer: Residence permit Passport and copy of your passport Application form Proof that you live there, like an apartment contract, if you don't have your residence permit yet A previous bill, if you have one If you are renting an apartment, the landlord will often keep the utilities in his or her name. In any case, ask the utilities company to take a meter reading so you are not billed for previous use. For newly-built homes, ask the building contractor to install everything required for utilities connections, and to obtain all certificates of compliance. Electricity Electricity is provided through meters, which are outside your home or in a common place (usually the ground floor corridor) in apartment buildings. Your electric bill will be left either there or in your mailbox. If you don't pay your bill, the electric company will cut off your electricity and put a seal on your electric meter. While you can cut the seal with wire cutters and keep using the electricity, you can face a hefty fine (on top of the fine for late payment) for doing so. Electrical power interruptions are not uncommon in many places. It is a good idea to have a flashlight or other means of lighting when the electricity goes off. For your desktop computer, you can get a non-interruptible power source (UPS), which will keep your computer running long enough for you to save your work and shut down properly. To protect your computer and electronics from power surges, get a power surge protector. Voltage: Turkish electrical power outlets are 220 volts, and a frequency of 50 Hertz. They work on a two-pronged plug. The prongs are round (cylindrical). If you have a multi-voltage appliance, you can get plug adapters from an electrical shop. See the external links section for a website which will show you what kind of plug works in Turkey. Transformers: If you have some appliance which works on the American 110 volt system, or another system only, you can buy a transformer rated for the voltage and convert the voltage to 110. You may be able to find these in an electrical shop, but since they are not common you will probably have to ask around. 110 volt electric clocks won't run correctly on a transformer. Water Water is supplied by the local municipality. The tap water is drinkable, and chlorinated. Most people, however, get bottled water delivered to their house, from a nearby bottled water supplier nearby. These hefty 19-liter bottles can be inverted on a standing dispenser (like a water cooler), or placed on a table and used with a siphon pump. Natural Gas Your home may have natural gas lines installed. In that case, you will need to open a new account with the local gas company. Some managed residential complexes buy natural gas collectively, and bill tenants for the amount of gas they use. In that case you would be billed by organization which manages your residential complex. If you don't have gas lines, you can buy natural gas (LPG) in bottles from a local provider and have them delivered. Paying the Bills Electric, gas, and water bills are typically brought to your house and left in your mailbox or affixed to your electric or water meter. You can pay these bills at the PTT (post office), or at any bank listed on the back of the bills. You can also have your bills automatically deducted from your bank account. Just take your bills to a bank where you have an account, or open a bank account, and your bank will set up the automatic payments. National Numbers for Utility Problems Water Problems: 185 Electrical Problems: 186 Natural Gas Problems: 187 See Also Electricity, Water, and Natural Gas forum: If you have questions or comments about utilities in Turkey, please ask them in this forum. External Links Electricaloutlet.org: In English. Scroll down to "Turkey" to see the kind of plug which is used in Turkey. Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  3. Is there any off-peak hours (hours when electricity price is lower) for electricity in Turkey? For example, in Canada it's cheaper to run the washing machine / dishwasher between 7:00 pm to 8:00 am and on weekends.
  4. Hi @Ken Grubb Do I pay the deposit directly to the landlord or deposit it into a bank account?
  5. When I built my house in 2007 I opted for LPG to fuel my central heating boiler and my gas hob in the kitchen. Aygaz gave the contract to install all the pipework to a local company, Mak-el. On completion Aygaz came to site to carry out a full inspection of the instalation and signed it off complying with the regulations. Now after eleven years they are telling me that new legislation makes my isolating valve below the hob illegal and has to be changed to bring it into compliance. This involves having the granite worktop drilled with holes to allow the pipework to be extended above the worktop where they will fit an isolating valve then pass back to below to reconnect to the flexible pipe to the cooker hob. The cost of their work will be 900TL. We have to commission a marble company to drill these holes which they say will fill the kitchen with dust. Additionally we have no idea what the marble company are going to charge. Before I retired in the UK I was a CORGI registered gas engineer. Faulty or dangerous installations would have to be brought up to current standards at the customers expense. Legislation upgrades were not applied retrospectively if the instaltion was sound and safe. We are looking at ways to fight this, not because of the cost but more to do with what a dogs dinner this is going to be in the kitcken that my wife loves.
  6. I bought a plot of land on the same hill that the company who Ricky Hatton bought from has their land. It was one of very few plots of land that was bought up on this hillside before they come on the scene. The property is now built (very well by all accounts) - it is two 2 bedroom apartments on their own land with their own large swimming pool. As the recession hit last year, the building works slowed down in Turkey and I have been advised by my builder that there is no access to water or electricity as our side of the hill has not been developed by the developers as yet and therefore they have not applied for electricity cables and transformers etc on that side of the hill. He has given us a quote for obtaining the same ourselves. He has paid out for artesian well (which will be shared with another property), its pump station and the 300m water connection pipe. He has also paid for the electrical engineers project plans, and permission of connection of power but cannot afford to pay out for the rest of the cabling and transformer etc. I am now in a situation where "I think" I wait until the hillside is developed or I pay for the rest of the works to be done myself. It is a lovely property and we have been advised by two builder friends that it has been built well but we are so frustrated about having to plough more money into this property. The roads are yet to be developed as well so it is very much dirt track. How can someone build a property on some land and not ensure that there will be electricity and water - it is effectively uninhabitable without the same. Any ideas anyone? Trying to get information of someone to contact, i.e. the council or planning department to see when the developers are thinking of asking for the electricity and water mains to be run up and connected is like trying to draw blood from a stone. Do I leave this property sitting waiting as an investment and get someone to manage it to ensure that it is not broken into or do I pay out to have the works done which in this climate is a very risky thing to do with your savings as nobody knows what is round the corner with their jobs. Help please!
  • Create New...