Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'children'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Citizenship
  • Crime & Safety
  • Documents, Forms & Numbers
  • Driving
  • Government & Law
  • Health & Medicine
  • Living in Turkey
  • Money
  • Residence Permits
  • Residence Permit Health Insurance
  • Residence Permit Application Guides
  • Transportation
  • Telephones & Internet
  • Turkish Language
  • Visas
  • Work Permits


  • Turkey
  • Aegean Region
    • Afyonkarahisar
    • Aydın
    • Denizli
    • İzmir
    • Manisa
    • Muğla
    • Kütahya
    • Uşak
  • East Black Sea Region
    • Artvin
    • Giresun
    • Gümüşhane
    • Ordu
    • Rize
    • Trabzon
  • Central Anatolia Region
    • Aksaray
    • Kayseri
    • Kırıkkale
    • Kırşehir
    • Nevşehir
    • Niğde
    • Sivas
    • Yozgat
  • Central East Anatolia Region
    • Bingöl
    • Bitlis
    • Elazığ
    • Hakkari
    • Malatya
    • Muş
    • Tunceli
    • Van
  • Istanbul Region
    • Bazaar Quarter
    • Beyoğlu
    • Bosphorus
    • Sultahahmet
  • East Marmara Region
    • Bilecik
    • Bolu
    • Bursa
    • Düzce
    • Eskişehir
    • Kocaeli
    • Sakarya
    • Yalova
  • Mediterranean Region
    • Adana
    • Antalya
    • Hatay
    • Mersin
    • Burdur
    • Isparta
    • Kahramanmaraş
    • Osmaniye
  • Northeast Anatolia Region
    • Ağrı
    • Ardahan
    • Bayburt
    • Erzincan
    • Erzurum
    • Iğdır
    • Kars
  • Southeast Anatolia Region
    • Adıyaman
    • Batman
    • Diyarbakır
    • Gaziantep
    • Kilis
    • Mardin
    • Şanlıurfa
    • Şırnak
    • Siirt
  • West Anatolia Region
    • Ankara
    • Konya
    • Karaman
  • West Marmara Region
    • Balıkesir
    • Çanakkale
    • Edirne
    • Kırklareli
    • Tekirdağ
  • West Black Sea Region
    • Amasya
    • Bartın
    • Çankırı
    • Çorum
    • Karabuk
    • Kastamonu
    • Samsun
    • Sinop
    • Tokat
    • Zonguldak


  • About Turkey Central
  • Business Directory
  • Forum Support
  • General Support
  • Photo Gallery Support
  • Quizzes
  • Residence Permit Assistance


  • All About Turkey
    • Turkey Generally
    • Living in Turkey
    • Turkey Travel, Tours, and Activities
    • Turkey Property
    • Turkish Culture, Customs, Politics, and Laws
  • Visas, Permits, and Citizenship
    • Visas
    • Residence Permits
    • Work Visas and Work Permits
    • Citizenship
  • Doing Business and Working
    • Digital Nomads, Working Online
    • Doing Business
    • Teaching English
    • Working
  • All Around Turkey
    • Adana
    • Alanya
    • Ankara
    • Antalya
    • Bodrum
    • Cappadocia
    • Çeşme
    • Dalyan
    • Didim
    • Fethiye
    • Istanbul
    • Izmir
    • Kaş and Kalkan
    • Kuşadası
    • Marmaris
    • Mersin
    • Side
    • Other Cities
  • The Lounge
    • Classified Advertising
    • Anything and Everything
    • About Turkey Central

Product Groups

  • Sales
  • Test Affiliate Program Group


  • Turkey Videos
  • Turkish Culture
  • Turkish Cuisine
  • Turkish Language
  • City and Town Videos
    • Adana Videos
    • Alanya Videos
    • Antalya Videos
    • Bodrum Videos
    • Cappadocia Videos
    • Çıralı Videos
    • Dalaman Videos
    • Dalyan Videos
    • Datça Videos
    • Denizli Videos
    • Didim Videos
    • Ephesus Videos
    • Eskişehir Videos
    • Fethiye Videos
    • Gallipoli Videos
    • Gökova Videos
    • Içmeler Videos
    • Istanbul Videos
    • Izmir Videos
    • Kalkan Videos
    • Kaş Videos
    • Kekova Videos
    • Köyceğiz Videos
    • Kuşadası Videos
    • Marmaris Videos
    • Mersin Videos
    • Muğla Videos
    • Ordu Videos
    • Pamukkale and Hierapolis Videos
    • Side Videos
  • Residence Permits
  • Turkish Films with Turkish Subtitles
  • Other Videos


  • Turkey News
  • Foreign News
  • COVID-19 Pandemic News

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL






  1. Hello! My Wife and i have just had a baby in Antalya 1 month ago, I am Australian and she is Russian. We chose the have the baby here because of covid complications we could not get into each others countries. Antalya specifically as its a nice place! We are now finding it difficult to get all the needed documents to obtain Russian citizenship, one in particular proof of address of our child from "muhtarlık" In order to get proof of residence you need an ikamet and tax number - to get that you need a passport - to get a passport you need citizenship. It seems there is a broken link somewhere! As for getting Australian citizenship & Passport it will take 6-8 months which is too long in our situation I read somewhere it is possible to get an ikamet without passport for a newborn in turkey, however it does not allow me to proceed with the application with out a passport number? If any one has been in a similar situation or could offer some advice Id be grateful to hear it! Thanks in advance! Colin V
  2. In this article, I'll explain what you must do to get a residence permit for your child. What you do depends on if your child was born outside of Turkey, or if they were born in Turkey. Foreign children must have a residence permit to live in Turkey. The application process is the same as it is for adults, but children born in Turkey must have their birth registered within 30 days, then the application for a residence permit made within six months. All residence permit applications begin on Turkey's online registration system, e-İkamet, at https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/. İkamet means "residence." For your child, you'll either apply for a family or a short-term residence permit. Turkey Family Residence Permit or Short-term Residence Permit? Family Residence Permit for a Foreign Child in Turkey A family residence permit is issued to the foreign family members of a sponsor. The sponsor of the family member must be: A Turkish citizen, or A foreign resident living in Turkey for at least one year with a residence or work permit. If the sponsor of the family doesn't meet either of those requirements, then you must apply for a short-term residence permit for your child. After a year, they'll be eligible for a family residence permit. To learn more, see: Turkey Family Residence Permit. Note: The family residence permit is valid for three years or if the sponsor is a foreigner, until the expiration of the sponsor's residence or work permit. Short-Term Residence Permit for a Foreign Child in Turkey If you're coming to Turkey for the first time and bringing a child, and neither you nor your spouse is a Turkish citizen, apply for a short-term residence permit for your child. To learn more, see: Turkey Short-Term Residence Permit. Residence Permit for a Child Born Outside of Turkey If your child was born outside of Turkey, the residence permit application process is the same as it is for an adult. Normally no birth certificate is required. However, if there is a question about who the child's parents are when you present your application package during your appointment, the immigration specialist may ask you to supply a birth certificate and give you time to get it. If you must get a foreign birth certificate for your child, you'll need to acquire it from the office of your home country that keeps such records. Then you must have it "legalized," or validated by another office in your home country with a stamp or separate document called an apostille. After you receive the birth certificate and apostille, you must then then have both translated by a sworn Turkish translator. I've covered the entire process for getting a foreign birth certificate and the apostille, and having them translated here: How to Get a Foreign Birth Certificate from Turkey Residence Permit for a Child Born in Turkey If your child is born in Turkey, you have 30 days to register the birth and six months to get the child's passport and apply for their residence permit. After a child is born, the doğum belgesi, or birth certificate, is issued at the hospital. This form is sometimes called a "formul A." The birth certificate will allow the child to stay in Turkey for six months or until the expiration date of the parents' current residence permit (whichever is sooner). Here's what you must do: 1. Register the child's birth at the Nüfus You will need to register the birth at the local Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Population and Citizenship Affairs Directorate, or Nüfus) within 30 days. You can make an appointment to register the birth online, at https://randevu.nvi.gov.tr/. The Nüfus also has a national customer helpline at 199, which you can call for free from any telephone in Turkey. There is an option for English. To register the baby, take the birth certificate and your ID cards to your appointment. They'll register the birth of the child and list you as the parents. No marriage certificate is required, nor are any documents concerning previous marriage(s) or divorce(s). The two parents can simply claim the child as theirs with the birth certificate and their ID cards. If only one parent is present, then that parent can register the birth. 2. Register the birth at your country's embassy or consulate and get a passport for your child The birth certificate doesn't allow for travel outside of Turkey or for return to Turkey, so you should also register the birth with your country's embassy or consulate and apply for a passport for the child. A passport is also needed to apply for your child's residence permit. Visit your country's consular website and go to the section on birth registration and passport applications to learn what you must do, what documents you need, and what fees you must pay. 3. Apply for your child's residence permit During the first six months, you'll apply online for a residence permit using the e-İkamet residence permit registration system. The procedure is the same as it is for an adult, with one important difference--the option to designate the child as being a newborn in Turkey. When registering online for your child's residence permit, one of the first pages will ask you if your child was born in Turkey. When you're entering the identity information for the child, you'll see the option Türkiye'de Doğan Çocuk (Child Born in Turkey), with an option of yes or no. Select "yes." You'll also see an option to state that the child is a newborn in Turkey, which will cause the system to not ask for a date of entry into Turkey. If One of the Child's Parents is Absent If one of the child's parents is not in Turkey, you must get a notarized parental consent declaration. If the parent is deceased, you must have the death certificate. Since these documents are foreign documents, they will also need to be legalized with an apostille and translated by a sworn Turkish translator. Residence Permit for a Child When You Are a Sponsor and Not a Parent If you're sponsoring a child not your own in Turkey, you need a letter of consent from the biological parents. Also, you and any other guardians of the child must go to a noter (notary) and get a document called a taahhütname (a sworn, legally enforceable declaration), in which you promise to provide support for the child. Include the taahhütname in the child's residence permit application package. You and any other guardians must also attend the child's application appointment. Education of Foreign Children in Turkey Children who have residence permits (it doesn't matter which kind) may attend Turkish public schools for free. Turkish Citizenship by Birth Children born in Turkey with two foreign parents are not automatically Turkish citizens. However, if one of the parents is a Turkish citizen, the child is considered a Turkish citizen from the day they were born, no matter where in the world they were born. So if the child has a Turkish parent, contact the Population and Citizenship Affairs Directorate to get the child a Turkish citizen's identification card instead of a residence permit. To learn more, see Turkish Citizenship by Birth. Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He's now retired and living in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  3. When you apply for a residence permit or other official identification, the government official involved may ask you for a birth certificate from your home country. If you don't have your birth certificate, you'll need to apply to the office of your country's government that maintains birth records, and have a copy of it sent to you. The procedure will vary from country to country. Since you'll be using the birth certificate in Turkey, you'll also need to have the document internationally legalized and translated into Turkish. Document legalization involves a separate document called an apostille. In this guide, I'll explain what an apostille is and what you need to do, from getting a copy of your birth certificate from your home country to having it legalized and ready for inclusion in an application package to give to the Turkish government. What Is an Apostille? An apostille is an internationally recognized document that attaches to and certifies the origin of another document. When a document has an apostille attached to it, it will be recognized and accepted by all countries which have signed the Apostille Convention. Step 1: Learn Where Your Home Country Keeps Birth Records Use Google to search for the government office in your home country, which keeps records of and issues copies of birth certificates. Use keywords and phrases including the country, province, or district where you were born, along with the key phrase "birth record," "birth certificate," etc. In the search results, you'll find the website of the government office you need. Visit their website to learn how to have a copy of your birth certificate sent to you. Warning!: Always use websites with an address containing the ".gov" suffix. This suffix means the website is an official government website, and not a private company or individual. Never use a website with an address containing the ".com" suffix. There are many private companies and people with official-looking websites who'll get your birth certificate sent to you, but they'll also charge you a lot of money for doing what you can easily do yourself. Step 2: Have Your Birth Certificate Sent to You The government office which issues copies of birth certificates in your home country, state, or province will have its own procedure, so follow the instructions given on the website and pay whatever fee is involved. Important!: If the government website has an option to have an apostille or other internationally legalizing document attached to your birth certificate, choose it! It will save you from having to do it yourself, and you can skip step 3. Step 3: Have Your Birth Certificate Internationally Legalized A Word of Comfort here: I'll be talking about international conventions and a lot of important-sounding stuff, which makes it sound like you might need diplomatic credentials to do this! But don't worry, getting your birth certificate legalized is quite easy. In a few minutes, you'll understand it all! Okay. Now you have your birth certificate in hand. In this step, you'll get it internationally legalized. How you do this depends on whether your country is a member of the apostille convention. How to Learn if Your Country is a Member of the Apostille Convention and which Government Office Issues Apostilles You can see if your country is a member by going here: List of Members of the Apostille Convention and Their Competent Authorities You'll also see the various competent authorities for your country. What is a Competent Authority? A competent authority is a government office that, under the Apostille Convention, is authorized to issue apostilles. You'll need to visit the website of the competent authority and learn what you need to do to get the apostille. Click the link provided on the list for the competent authority, go to their website and follow their instructions, pay the fee, and send your birth certificate to the competent authority. When they receive it, they'll attach an apostille and send it back to you. If Your Country Isn't a Member of the Apostille Convention If you don't see your country on the list, then your country isn't a member of the Apostille Convention, so you'll need to contact your country's embassy or consulate for instructions. They'll have a different, but probably similar, way of legalizing your birth certificate. To learn more about apostilles and how they work, see Apostille: What it is, How it Works and How to Get One from Turkey. Step 4: Have Your Birth Certificate and Apostille Translated to Turkish Now that you have your birth certificate and the apostille, both documents must be translated by a sworn translator. The translator will take their translation to a nearby notary and swear to its accuracy. Then the notary will put their stamp on it. At that point, your birth certificate will be officially recognized in Turkey, and a copy of it will be kept in the notary's archives. How to Find a Sworn Translator Use Google Search Google or Google Maps using the name of the province and district where you live, and the keywords yeminli tercüman or yeminli çevirmen. Both phrases mean "sworn translator." Use the Sworn Translator Federation Website Go to the website of the Yeminli Çevirmenlik Federasyonu (TURÇEF, or in English, Federation of Sworn Translators), at https://www.turcef.net/. At the bottom of their home page is a menu of the regions of Turkey. Just select the option for where you are to get a listing of sworn translators showing their addresses, contact information, and the languages they specialize in. Ask a Notary Notaries in Turkey always work with sworn translators. So, if you see a big red noter sign anywhere, walk into their office and ask where you can find a sworn translator. There will be one nearby. To learn more about sworn translators, see Sworn Turkish Translators: What They Do and How to Find One. To learn more about notaries, see Notaries in Turkey: What They Do, Why You'll Need One and How to Find Them. Step 5: Submit Your Documents With Your Application Now that you have your birth certificate, the apostille, and the official notarized translation of both documents, you can include them in your application package. The Turkish government office you're applying to will only need the notarized translation, but also take your birth certificate copy with you in case they want to see it. How to Get Another Copy of Your Legalized and Translated Birth Certificate When you get the official translation of your birth certificate from the translator, you'll see a notary stamp on the back of it. This stamp contains a document number because the translation is now part of the archive at the notary's office. If you need to get another copy of your birth certificate later, you won't have to go through the whole process again. Just go to the notary office which notarized the translation and give them the document number. They'll pull the document again and give you another copy of it. The second copy will be as legal as the first, and you can use it for future applications. Assistance and Support Turkey Central Forums: Do you have a question? Search our forums to see if it's already been answered. If it hasn't, feel free to open a new topic. Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  4. This article is about how to get a copy of a Turkish birth certificate while either in Turkey or from another country. If you need to get a copy of a birth certificate issued by your home country, see: How to Get a Copy of a Foreign Birth Certificate from Turkey. Getting a Turkish Birth Certificate from the Nüfus In Turkey, the birth registration document is called an Uluslararası Doğum Belgesi (International Birth Certificate). It may also be called a "Formül A." You can get a copy of your birth certificate from the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Population and Citizenship Directorate, or Nüfus). The Nüfus website is: https://www.nvi.gov.tr/ You can make an appointment at any Nüfus office in Turkey here: https://randevu.nvi.gov.tr/ The Nüfus also has a customer service line you can call for free, from any telephone in Turkey, at 199. Their international number is 90 312 591 2133 or 2389. There's an option for English. If you intend to get your birth certificate copy while outside of Turkey, contact a Turkish embassy or consulate. Getting Birth Information from e-Devlet E-Devlet is Turkey's government portal, where you can conduct transactions with the government and download various documents. While it's called "e-Devlet," the actual web address is www.turkiye.gov.tr. You must join e-Devlet before you can use it. Learn how to join and use e-Devlet. If You're a Turkish Citizen If you're a Turkish citizen and have a citizen's national ID number, you can download your kayıt örneği belgesi (Population Registration Document), which has your birth information on it. The document is digitally signed (e-signed), so the downloaded and printed copy requires no further authentication. Use this link: https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/nvi-nufus-kayit-ornegi-belgesi-sorgulama Enter your username and password, complete the Captcha function, then click Kimliğimi Şimdi Doğrulama (Verify My Identity Now). On the next page, you'll see the document. You can then download and print it. The Population Registration Document is often used as a birth certificate, so it will probably be accepted. Learn more about the Population Registration Document and how to get one. If You're Not a Turkish Citizen If you're a foreigner, you can still join and access e-Devlet, but there will be no Population Registration Document for you to download. But you can download your foreigner identification card information, which includes your birth date. Just go to this link: https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/kisisel-bilgiler Log in as described above, and go to a page called Kişisel Bilgiler (Personal Information). On the menu at the top, click Bilgilerim (My Information). You'll then go to a page displaying information from your ID card. This information includes your birth date, which may be enough depending on who's asking for it and what it's for. This document is not digitally signed. Getting a Turkish Birth Certificate from a Turkish Embassy or Consulate If you're outside of Turkey and need a birth certificate which is in Turkey, make an appointment at your local Turkish embassy or consulate, then go to the appointment to make the request. You can make an appointment at any Turkish embassy or consulate in the world here: https://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/ After your appointment, the embassy or consulate will coordinate with the Nüfus in Turkey and have the document sent to them. Then they'll call you to have you come and pick it up. Assistance and Support Turkish Citizenship Forum: If you have any questions about Turkish citizenship, search our citizenship forum, or open a topic there. Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  5. If you and your spouse or partner have a child who was born in Turkey, they aren't automatically a Turkish citizen. Turkish citizenship for a child is based on the citizenship of the parents. If Neither Parent is a Turkish Citizen If neither you nor your spouse or partner is a Turkish citizen, you must apply for a residence permit for the child. When the child is 18 or more years of age, they may apply to become a Turkish citizen by choice. If you or your spouse or partner becomes a Turkish citizen through the Citizenship by Investment Program, your children may also become Turkish citizens. If One or Both Parents is a Turkish Citizen If you or your spouse or partner is a Turkish citizen, the child is legally considered to be a Turkish citizen from the day of their birth, whether they're born in Turkey or not, and whether you or your spouse or partner are married or not. In this case, the citizenship procedure is merely a formality, and only requires proof that one or both parents are Turkish citizens. Turkish Citizenship Appointment If your child has at least one Turkish parent, you must make an appointment at the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Population and Citizenship Affairs Directorate, or Nüfus). You can book an appointment here: https://randevu.nvi.gov.tr/. Required Documents Typically, you'll need the following documents for the child: Application form (VAT-2), downloadable from https://www.nvi.gov.tr/hizmetlerimiz/vatandaslik-hizmetleri/vatandaslik-formlari Birth certificate Parents' identification documents The VAT-2 form is in 2 parts. The first part is the part you fill in, and the second includes the required documents and instructions. To learn how to get a copy of a birth certificate in Turkey, see How to Get a Copy of a Turkish Birth Certificate. Applying for a Turkish Passport While you're at your appointment, you can also apply for a passport for your child. He or she will need this to travel outside of Turkey and return. Dual Citizenship Turkey has no laws which prohibit dual citizenship. However, some other countries do. So, before you apply for Turkish citizenship, you should check the laws of your own country first. To learn more about dual citizenship, see Dual Citizenship Rules. Name Changes You won't be required to change your name to a Turkish one, but you can adopt a Turkish name if you want one. To learn more about the name rules, see Rules for non-Turkish names. Turkish Citizenship Law Turkish Citizenship Law is the Turkish Nationality Act No. 5901 as amended. Ken Grubb As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He's now retired and living in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.
  6. I have a question burning in my mind that I would love to have answered. I have been living in Turkey since 2010. I came to Turkey married, became separated in 2012 and divorced through the Turkish Family Courts in 2015. I was granted custody of our children, both hold US and Turkish citizenship, with their father having the minimal visitation required by Turkish law. My ex husband has made a right mess of his finances over the years. He does not pay the support outlined in our divorce decree. He also can no longer show the amount of money required for me to meet the financial requirement when applying for an RP. I do not have the financial means to meet the obligation myself either. When I need to renew I am putting money in the bank, getting a statement, and then giving the money back to whomever it came from. I do this because I must be with my children. My question is: I am committing a crime every time I have needed to renew my resident permit over the past couple of years. I would like to know what would happen if I were to refuse to do so any longer? Specifically- since I am the custodial parent would I be able to leave WITH my children? Or would they just kick me out without them? Their father has been a "father of convenience" since we separated. If it was convenient for him to spend time with them, he did, if it wasn't he didn't. My children would be devastated if I were separated from them. They are quite young- 6 and 8. They are not particularly bonded to their father because of how little time he spent with them over the years. I would appreciate any and all responses. I am very tired and fed up with our situation. I find it incredibly stressful to even just apply for an RP because I am always scared that won't be able to find money or something will go wrong and I will have to leave. My ex husband not being able to financially support us is also a huge stress, it affects my parenting, my psyche everything. I am tired and just want to take my children back to the US. I am not interested in getting Turkish citizenship in the least. I just can not understand how I can be required to stay in a country I don't want to live in; that I can not support myself or my children in and neither can the father. I mean he literally has no money at all often. He has to support his mother- because he bankrupted her, he has remarried with another child on the way in addition to a step daughter, and then there is myself and our two children. I can not get blood from a stone, our situation is not going to change. I have gone along for long enough and he keeps digging himself a bigger hole and dragging everyone into it.
  7. I need to find out how to have the terms of my divorce decree enforced. My ex husband and I were married in the US but divorced through the Turkish Family Court system in 2015. I am specifically interested in knowing if there are resources available for expats who do not have financial means to hire a lawyer. I have resided in Turkey on a RP from 2010 to August of this year. I was in the process of renewing my residence permit when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I had to leave immediately to care for her as she has no surviving family members living in her area. The problems that I am having with my ex husband are legion. He has made a right sh*t storm of his life and I am tired of living in the consequences of it. He is currently threatening me saying that if I don't come back soon he will not help me renew my resident permit when I do, telling me that I "will be on my own" whatever that means. He can't handle having our children full time is the crux of the issue. He is so used to having me there to take care of them while he's out living his life. Having problems renewing my resident permit is an ongoing problem. I am forced to commit a criminal offense every time I have had to renew it pretty much since we separated in 2012. I would also like to know the answer to a question that has been burning in my mind for the past few years. I have custody of both of our children, he has visitation. If I can not meet the financial requirement to obtain a resident permit on my own and my ex husband can not/doesn't want to. He says I am not his financial responsibility. Can I leave with our children? I am not interested in obtaining Turkish citizenship in the least. My ex husband has been a father of "convenience" for all intensive purposes. When it is convenient for him he spends time with the kids and when it's not he doesn't. Why do I have to commit a criminal offense in order to be with my children? Except for financially supporting them, I am the parent who has been with them constantly since birth. It just doesn't make sense to me.
  8. First of all, thanks for compiling such an enormously helpful site - by far the best resource on Turkish visas / residency permits that I have come across. My wife, son and I are just about to apply for short term residency permits in order to extend our 3 month stay as tourists by a further two months. As our tourist visas run out on 9th September I am slightly concerned that I have left our applications too late especially with the forthcoming 10 day bayram, although from what I have seen on this forum it appears that we would be OK to stay in Turkey even if our tourist visa has expired as long as we have completed the online application and have a forthcoming appointment arranged - can you confirm that this is correct? Also I have just noticed on another question a requirement to have a birth certificate for my son (he is 2 years old) translated into Turkish - can you please provide precise details on the requirements re: this - is it something I need to arrange before the appointment? Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a birth certificate issued from the UK if you have misplaced the original and do you know how long it will take to get it translated in line with the requirements?
  9. I’m an EU citizen and my daughter is a double citizen (my country and TR), because her Turkish father is in the birth certificate but he never had any interest, never supported and didn’t see her since 3 years. He has a new woman and moved with her to South Africa and we don’t have any contact. We are living in EU. I don’t want her to keep the Turkish citizenship, how can I give it up?
  10. What is the overall feeling from the Turks about kids in restaurants, etc? Is it frowned upon or are they welcoming? The Germans, for example, really scoff at bringing kids to restaurants, but other cultures don't have such an issue with it. Thanks!
  11. Hi Hi! I'm almost "desperate" to get some info about Turkish divorce cases. I'm from Holland and I'm in a relationship with a Turkish man for 2 years. I do live in Turkey, but not with him. My boyfriend was married for a couple of years and his marriage didn't work out and he filed for divorce. This divorce is going on for 2 years now and we have to keep our relationship a secret. I hate this so much, because I love him and I know it's also very hard for him. My boyfriend has a child with his wife and she very small (3 years old). He told me that the judge changed and this delayed his case. What i understand from him is that it can take 1 more year.. I'm devastated about this, that's why I want to learn more about the Turkish divorce system. Because in Holland it's so different.
  12. Hi. Can a mother apply for 6 month old baby resident permit. Baby's father is not in turkey. Mother has short term resident permit . Or does she need power of attorney from father .
  13. Hi there I hope someone can help me. I am a British Citizen and I married a Turkish man in Fethiye in 2000. We had two children together (girls, now 16 and 14 - they were both born in the UK). We bought an apartment together in Fethiye in 2001 and lived in Turkey. Both names are on the tapu (property title deed). After 14 years of marriage, in early 2014, I found out many awful things about my husband - he was having a 3 year affair with a local girl who worked at the cinema, he was also using prostitutes and filming himself (I found the camera), he was watching teenage pornography and in thousands of debt without my knowledge, had a gun in the house, plus many other things. After he knew I found out about all this, he just blamed me for his behaviour. I knew for my sanity and my children's safety that I had to leave. On the evening of 13th June 2014, my children and I got to Dalaman airport without my husband knowing and we boarded a plane to the UK. I left my house, my job, my friends, we left everything behind. I wrote a letter to my English neighbours explaining why I was leaving. I brought everything with me - I have the marriage certificate, the tapu, the camera and all the evidence of his unreasonable behaviour etc. It is now 2017 and my girls and I have never gone back to Turkey. We are now settled in the UK. The girls rarely speak to their father. However... I have heard a rumour that he has recently divorced me over in Turkey - probably on the grounds of desertion. After all, it has been over two years since I left and I have not had the money to have ever asked a solicitor in the UK for help with it. My ex husband will not answer my FB messages whether he has divorced me or not, but he has been asking my daughter for our address. My question is: How has he managed to get a judge to grant the divorce when there is property or children involved? What happens now in regards to the apartment if he has divorced me? Can I instruct a solicitor here or in Turkey to sell the apartment because half of it is mine still? He has never paid any child maintenance while I have been in the UK. I want the value of my half of the apartment back because as far as I know he is living it in without any worries now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
  14. If you apply for a short-term residency permit for a child, then you need to have an Apostilled birth certificate for the child. This needs to be translated and notarized. Apostilled documents can take a while to get from the country that issued the birth certificate, plus extra time to then get it translated to Turkish and notarized, so people need to be aware that this is needed. Also if you have sole custody you need to get this document with Apostille. Ken: Question to ask immigration office: How old can this custody document be (max.) and what date counts application date or start date of RP? Do you have to get a new one for a residency permit renewal? So do you have to order and pay for a new Apostilled custody document every year? If your child has a birth certificate that does not list the father at all because legally the child has no father (can happen if you were not married and the father never declared to be the father), 157 requested to get a letter from the Konsulate, explaining this situation, explaining why the German birth certificate does not list a father at all. This costs 25 EUR to get this written in Turkish by the German Konsulate. It might save you from having to get the Apostilled custody document, but not sure.
  15. I wish someone been through this and had a child birth in Turkey, Does he or she get the Turkish nationality and how, do the parents get benefit of that nationality?
  16. My baby was born in Turkey (we, her parents are foreign obviously) and I have just got her passport from my country done (she is almost a year old now). Now we must start the process of a residence permit. I, the mother, already have mine. We live in Istanbul. Should I go down to the main local Emniyet, or do I need to go to the Vatan Emniyet since it is her first time getting a residence permit? Also, should I start at the Emniyet to find out there what I need to do for her, or can someone tell me here, or tell me the best place to go find out what she needs?
  17. I have gone through pretty much all of the posts here for an answer but nothing quite exactly the same. I am Chinese (not a Muslim) in Asia and the Turkish boy has been here for work for the past few years. I am older by 5 years and he is currently 31. We have been dating for over a year now and we have gotten serious and talking about marriage. I have recently also flown to Turkey to meet with his family (and he has met mine) but unfortunately they are adamant against us having a future and instead wants to find him a suitable candidate. He wants to end the relationship now as he sees no future to this to continue. I know family ties are really strong especially in traditional family but I am reluctant to let go of something i firmly believe in. Although i also understand that love isnt the priority in muslim families. I just am not sure if I should hang on for the sake of hoping they will eventually relent since he has a couple more years here and will not be moving back to Turkey so soon. And that he is quite ready to settle down but we just dont see how we can work this out without breaking his family ties. I have going to start understanding Islam more too for the sake of the promise i have made to him and myself since we started dating and also to find peace in myself. But i cant say i am not hanging on that Allah can give us a miracle here. Anyone has seen a miracle as such happen? I think the fact that i am older than him also plays a huge part in their objection since it may not be so easy for me to conceive now. I need a glimmer of hope. So desperate that this is the first time i am actually posting on any forum for support.
  18. I'm sure I'm not the only who's had this conversation... Just what are our kids? Do you consider them "mixed race?" In some respects, the fact that I'm American and he's NATIVE Turkish makes our son multi-cultural (and, inshallah, bi-lingual in the future), but Turk is not really a race. Neither is Arabic, for that matter, but in today's society, I'm willing to put it out there that a Muslim/Arab receives as much prejudice as a person of color, thanks to all the media coverage of terrorism around the world. But "Arab" is not a box to check on any forms. There's a whole lot of attention about Latin, but that's not even a race; it's an ethnicity. (Hmmm.... to do list: find out whom I can contact to persuade them to change that...) So, is Turk considered Asian, since it's Asia minor and on the maps? But if you research, some resources say that Turks are Caucasian, but others say they come from the Mongols, so are Asian. Maybe I'll just have my son check the "Other" box. What do you think?
  19. Hello, I have a question about registering children born abroad. I gave birth 3 years ago to twin baby boys. I'm British/French and their dad is Turkish. We never got married but he signed their birth certificates. He walked out just a few weeks after they were born, and I've never heard from him. I don't know if he registered the boys with the consulate or not, and I've tried contacting him, but nothing. It's been almost three years, nothing. Nothing from him, nothing from his mates, nothing from his family. I was thinking of registering the boys myself, but I don't have any of their dad's original documents, just photocopies, kimilik, now expired passport, license. Is that enough? Should I do it? Can they boys do it when they are adults or is that too late? Is there any reason to do it now? Thank you
  20. ok so its time to start thinking about what does a child need from a creche and also what would a mum expect to get out of sending a child to creche either PT or FT. i think in my case i am lucky as i dont need to send my child but i may want to eventually for his own social /personal development. Just wondered - what makes a good creche? for us location matters and of course price (which i imagine varies greatly for what reasons i dont know didnt think yet.....) having not taught under 5's as such its a new world to me.... anything anyone has to share on this subject i would be interested to read... Anyone any experience of sending their dual citizen babe to an All turk creche? Also wondering what people think about teaching in one (English) ? what to expect...i have always said no but i see advantages in doing so now my son is nearing creche going age (almost )himself ;-) TIA
  21. Can somebody advise me please. I usually live in Turkey but returned to the UK to have my second child. I have been here 5 months and accumulated some personal belongings that are to large to go with us on the aeroplane i.e toys (non-electrical), a small toddler bed, toddler car seat, excess toys, Moses basket do we pay import charges on children's items and can anyone recommend some companies that were reliable and fairly priced? Any help on this or a point of reference to start with would be appreciated. I am English and my husband is Turkish.
  22. HiI was wondering does anyone know when the kids schools are hiring english teachers? I have been looking at jobs but they all seem to be for teaching adults in language centres? Is it the time of year? I hope some one can help meCiara
  23. Guest

    Children, Ucagiz, Kekova

    Children play among the ancient sarcophagai.
  • Create New...