Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Everything posted by Ken Grubb

  1. I just saw on a Facebook group that people ages 40-45 are now eligible for vaccinations. I haven't verified this, but perhaps you can try again.
  2. Speaking Turkish is not a requirement for a residence permit, but I have had an immigration specialist who asked me why I wasn't speaking Turkish after living here all of these years. I began speaking in Turkish, but explained that his Turkish was a lot better than my English, and gave him a choice of which language to use. He chose English. There's no way I can ever predict what an immigration specialist will say or do, of course. But it seems to me that if you apply for a residence permit to learn Turkish it would increase your chances of getting a longer duration on your residence permit. I suspect this was a one-time thing, and also that you applied in Istanbul (am I correct?) They tend to be much stricter in Istanbul since they get a huge number of foreigners as compared to the rest of the country.
  3. If you're working only online, and not doing business directly with Turks or Turkish companies and not being paid for work by them, you don't need a work permit. I verified this with the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services. There are other sites you can use. See this article for links to property websites at the bottom: You can get a health insurance policy from Mertsel Insurance. They do residence permit applications and also issue health insurance policies for Turkey Central members and guests. They are based in Antalya, but they can create your policy and send it to you wherever you are. The owner speaks English. She is a broker, who can find the best prices. While the typical foreigner health insurance policies for residence permits have the same coverage, the prices vary. https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/18-turkey-residence-permit-health-insurance/
  4. It won't cause any problem. You can apply at any time within 60 days of the expiration of your visa or the day you reach the maximum number of days your visa allows you to be in Turkey. If you own property, you wouldn't be applying under the "touristic reason" category. Renters apply under that category. Being a property owner won't cause additional scrutiny per se, you just need to take your property title deed and a regular (non-notarized) copy of it to your appointment and an "e-signed/signed and stamped/sealed 'Residence Document' to be obtained from provincial/district directorates of registry or e-government system (www.turkiye.gov.tr)" (that according to the e-ikamet residence permit application website). As I recall your property title deed was more than two years old, and as we discussed you also need the Tapu Kayıt Örneği (Land Registry Document) Were you able to work out the issue with the e-Devlet website? If not you can get your address document from the Nüfus, but as I recall you were also going to get the numarataj (address numbering document) which should suffice (I think). I talked to an immigration specialist about proof of address, and he said that they actually consider a utility bill in the property owner'/renter's name, at that address, to be the best proof of address.
  5. The only thing I could suggest is searching for and contacting a company that does international moves from Turkey and see if one of them is authorized to transport live animals.
  6. This is what you need: I see here the actual document is called a tapu kayıt örneği. This is what you need. It's your title deed record at the tapu office which will show that you are still the owner of the property. I must have called the document a tapu devam belgesi after reading something on the internet which called it that. Thanks for catching that mistake. I'll go through and correct the terms used to all be tapu kayıt örneği.
  7. I think the other document you needed was the address numbering document called the "numerataj belgesi." I read that you could get that also at the tapu (property title deed) office on an official Turkish government website but I haven't been able to verify it through member feedback. If you have any problems or if you're able to get both at the tapu office, would you please update this topic? I normally consider something as verified if I read it from an official source, then hear it from a government official, then have it verified by someone who actually does it. Thanks for the positive feedback. I remember how confusing things were when I first got here and I now try to minimize the hassle for others. I hope I have minimized it for you as well.
  8. Can you be more specific and say exactly what information you need? Is this in Turkey or in Poland?
  9. We've got a "Documents, Forms & Numbers" article section which explains the document you'll need and how to get it, here: Tapu Kaydı Örneği That should take you right to it, if it doesn't, click on the table of contents on "Other Address Documents the Immigration Office Might Ask For." It will tell you where and how to get the document. If you're having issues with the online system, switch it to Turkish while on the page where you're having the problem, and submit your info. For some reason the system has problems sometimes with its English-language pages. I had a similar problem the other day, and switching it to Turkish for the page where I was having the problem fixed it.
  10. I don't see why it would be illegal. It wouldn't be in Turkey. Any specific concerns you have?
  11. I did write that in my reply previously, but I edited it a bit later. When you receive a reply in the forums, the system sends out a courtesy e-mail to let you know, that way you don't have to keep coming back to check for a reply. The e-mail also includes the reply (and a link to return to the topic). If the person replying (me in this case) later edits the reply, the system doesn't send another e-mail, so the reply you see when you return will be the edited version rather than the original version. I edited it because I checked your original post again and saw that you had a foreigner identification number, so it made sense to ask if you could get into e-devlet using it (if you had joined e-devlet before). Sorry for the confusion... We just got a new news article from Alejandra, here: Apparently the various offices of the Ministry of the Interior are experiencing delays. So I wonder now if that might have some connection to the problems with the computer system. By the way, if you want the "new reply" e-mails to stop at any point, click on the "subscribing members" to the topic near the top. You can turn off your subscription to the topic there. Any luck yet in getting into e-Devlet?
  12. Did you try your foreigner identification number and do you have a password for e-Devlet? If you don't mind me asking, are you trying to access it for proof of address? There are other ways to do that if you can't get in to e-Devlet.
  13. Sometimes these various computer systems have trouble interfacing with each other. Have you tried going directly to www.turkiye.gov.tr?
  14. There's no prohibition for foreigners who want to open a grocery store. The only issue is that if you want to actually work in the store, you must get a residence permit. You can get one after you can show that you've hired at least five Turkish citizens, so you would probably do that anyway when you open a store. Here's the BiM homepage: https://www.bim.com.tr/ Also find your local ticaret odası (chamber of commerce) and visit them. Among other things, they can also advise you on opening a new business.
  15. Have a look at this article on Turkish Citizenship and Military Service: There is contact information for the Turkish government recruitment office there. I think you should have one of your Turkish relatives contact them to learn exactly what you need to do, since they're the ones who make the recruitment decision.
  16. Post here again if you need anything. I'm happy to help. I'm surprised more online workers and digital nomads don't come to Turkey instead of Thailand, Bali, etc.
  17. That's correct, and direct from the ministry of labor during a conversation with them. Meanwhile my tax home will become Turkey. So, It looks that I'm going to make money in Turkey. Should I pay taxes for it? I'm not an accountant, and unfortunately I've never even heard of one outside of Istanbul, but I'll try to give you an answer. Of course the best source of this information would be a Turkish accountant, or one in your own country who is familiar with the tax treaty your country has with Turkey. In the US for example, there are tax professionals who specialize in doing taxes for expats. If you have something like that in your country, find them and contact them. But I'll at least give you my non-accountant opinion. You have to read your tax treaty to know this. However, if it's like the one with the USA, you're liable for paying taxes on ALL worldwide income to Turkey when your tax home becomes Turkey, EXCEPT for various things which are specified in the treaty. So it seems to me that, no matter where you're "making the money," if your tax home is Turkey you'll have to pay taxes in Turkey. Yes. You don't need a work permit or a company to pay taxes. You just need a vergi numarası (tax number), which foreigners always get before they apply for a residence permit, or a yabancı kimlik numarası (foreigner identification number, or YKN) which will automatically be assigned to you when your residence permit is approved. It will also be printed on your residence permit card. Once you have your YKN, you can use it in place of your tax number, and pay taxes with that. You'll have one when it comes time for you to pay taxes (if you have to pay them). I haven't paid taxes in Turkey before because all of my income is exempt. However if I did, I would find a Turkish accountant and have someone come to translate for me if they didn't speak English. Then I would have the accountant do my first tax form and submit it. After that I'd do it myself using the accountant's work as a template. By the way a tax number is easy to get. See this article: Mertsel Insurance can also get one for you and send it to you. They also issue health insurance and do residence permit applications for Turkey Central members and guests. https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/19-get-a-turkey-tax-number/
  18. I talked to a lady here in Antalya today about this. She says she normally tips ten lira, 20 lira is the highest she ever tips. It doesn't seem to go on a percentage basis like it does in other countries.
  19. I personally don't know, but the Tapu ve Kadastro Genel Müdürlüğü (title deed and land registry directorate) has a customer service number at 181 you can call. It likely has an option for English considering the number of foreigners who own property in Turkey. I'd give them a call to make sure you're getting the correct information.
  20. A friend of mine and I called the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services about this same question. They said that if you are working online, and not doing business directly with Turkish businesses or people, not being paid from Turkey and not cutting invoices here, you don't need a work permit. Check your country's tax treaty with Turkey. You can probably find with a Google search. The one Turkey has with the USA says that I am responsible for paying taxes in Turkey as soon as my tax home becomes Turkey, which occurs after six months. But check the treaty, there are exceptions, such as government retirements and real estate income from your home country, there may be one in your tax treaty about working online. You can open a personal bank account in Turkey easily. Do you already have a company that receives the money for your work or do you receive it personally?
  21. You won't need anything else. Just your passport. Let us know how it goes, I hope everything goes very smoothly.
  22. Have a look at this article: Turkish Citizenship by Marriage That will explain the process and address any questions you might have, but if not, feel free to ask them here.
  23. Unfortunately you have one name on your passport and your friend has power of attorney to pick up the residence permit card from someone with a different name. So there's nothing you can do there. I called the Istanbul airport some time ago and talked to the visa violation office. They told me that if you have an approved residence permit (which you do), they can see it in their computer system and you will be able to enter Turkey without a visa. We have also had two Turkey Central members do this. One of them was out of the country when his residence permit was approved but he didn't have his residence permit card (same as your situation). He was able to enter Turkey, without his residence permit card, with no problems. So just return to Turkey, check with the post office to see if your residence permit is there. If it isn't, go to the immigration office and get it.
  24. I'm not familiar with this exact situation, but the online residence permit application system will need a sicil numarası (registration number) which serves like an insurance policy number. You should be able to get it using e-Devlet, which is the government services portal. Here's the page you probably need: https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/sosyal-guvenlik-ve-sigorta-hizmetleri Scroll down to Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu and check the options there, but I believe the one you need is this one: https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/4c-tescil-kaydi
  • Create New...