Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Everything posted by Ken Grubb

  1. After I posted that I was thinking I should have mentioned something about that! Since its beginning in 2002, There has never been a security breach of Turkey Central. Please indulge me as I brag a bit about the security level here... Turkey Central uses the Invision Community platform. It's a top-of-the-line, paid-for community platform, also used by NBC Warner Bros. Reuters The National Hockey League The National Football League Jenny Craig Lego Sega Evernote Gibson (the guitar maker) AVG (the antivirus company) Among other famous companies and organizations. The Invision Community platform also has top-of-the-line security features. Invision Community monitors their communities in use and sends out alerts if there are any potential security vulnerabilities. So besides me, there are a bunch of guys in Lynchburg, Virginia (USA) looking after our community in the same way they look after the communities of NBC and Reuters. Yesterday, when I upgraded the community, Invision Power recommended that I change a setting so users must sign in with their e-mail addresses instead of their display names (as I explained above). Perhaps it was in an abundance of caution on their part (and mine). But I want to be 100% sure, at all times, that there are zero security vulnerabilities on Turkey Central.
  2. Here's a comprehensive article about it from a Turkish law firm: https://www.asylegal.com/new-decision-from-immigration-authority-regarding-touristic-residence-permits/?utm_source=Mondaq&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=LinkedIn-integration According to that article, if your country isn't on the list, you must justify that your stay in Turkey is for other than touristic reasons. It seems to be unclear what that means, since anybody who rents their property generally gets a touristic residence permit. So I don't know if that means you can have a touristic residence permit and a good reason to stay, or if you have to get a short-term residence permit for another reason. I think it would be best if you call the helpline at 157 to be sure.
  3. I've made a change to the sign-in function requiring members to sign in with their e-mail address rather than their display name. This is a security measure. Since your display name is plainly visible in the forums, someone who wants to sign in as you will already have half of the sign-in information. Since your e-mail address is always hidden, it makes it more difficult for someone to access your account. I apologize for any inconvenience, but I want to have the highest level of security possible.
  4. Goreme is correct. A student residence permit doesn't contribute to the eight years of residence required for a long-term residence permit. The other types, or a work permit, does. The duration of a short-term residence permit is up to two year, but the immigration specialist handling your case can give you less, for example, one year. The "touristic" short-term residence permit also applies to foreigners who are renting their property. But they can be extended indefinitely. I, for example, have been living in Turkey as a renter for around 20 years with a touristic short-term residence permit. I have just now applied for the long-term residence permit. So it doesn't matter if you're applying for the short-term residence permit after graduation. It is still a short-term residence permit, regardless of the purpose. So you would need to get a short-term residence permit and live in Turkey with it for at least eight years without a significant interruption. A significant interruption is: Being outside of Turkey for more than a total of 365 days during the previous five years before the date of your application Being outside of Turkey for more than 180 days in any one year from the sixth to the eighth year before the date of your application An exception is made if you were outside of Turkey for education, health reasons, or compulsory national service.
  5. You would need to contact your local Turkish embassy or consulate and find out what you need to do to get a visa.
  6. A very good point! I'm going to be writing some new articles and improving old ones, and I've made a not to include that. Thanks for updating us, it's always great to get feedback like yours.
  7. I also use a post office box. It costs me maybe 20 TL per year. But that way I can be sure it doesn't get lost or stolen because it never leaves the postal system. Unfortunately without registered mail you won't be able to track it, but it would at least improve the odds that you'll receive it. Just as an additional note for anyone else reading this, cargo companies can't ship to a post office box. So any mail sent to a post office box has to be done through the mail system.
  8. I double-checked on this with a new arrival to Antalya. He doesn't have his foreigner identification number yet. In fact, he hasn't even gone to his appointment. He was able to set up electricity and water accounts with his passport, his rental contract, and the numbers from the water and electricity meters.
  9. I know that Turkey has no law which prohibits dual citizenship.
  10. Ken Grubb

    Name Change

    Please read the topic above, I think your question has already been answered. But if something is still unclear, please ask any specific questions you have and we'll try to help.
  11. You don't need a Turkish ID to open utilities accounts, but you do need one to set up your home telephone and internet service.
  12. I've used both of these services in Antalya with no problems at all.
  13. From talking to the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services, you don't meet the criteria for "working in Turkey." However I assume you'll be buying supplies from Turkish companies, so I don't know if that fits the definition or not. I doubt it, but to be sure you can call them. their helpline is at 170. From outside of Turkey, call +90 216 170 1122. It has an English option.
  14. If they let you through without paying a fine, then you don't have to pay a fine. Fines are paid when you leave at the airport or other control point. The border control police can decide whether to fine you or not, so if you explained your situation they may have decided not to fine you.
  15. I think you should call the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services about this to be sure. I don't think there is any requirement for you to make sure anybody pays their taxes, but it's best you hear it from them. They have English speakers also who can help, the last time I called there was an English option. From within Turkey, call 170. From outside of Turkey, call +90 216 170 1122.
  16. I am really careful in such situations. I don't want to say anything that might be wrong because of the impact it may have on your life and the lives of your family members. The best thing to do is to call the immigration office helpline at 157 and ask them about your situation. You can call that number from any telephone in Turkey. If you are outside of Turkey, call +90 312 157 1122. That way you will have the information directly from the Turkish government.
  17. Can you give me a link to where you read this, or some other information from the source? I know an appraisal is required for foreigners wanting to get citizenship through buying property, but I haven't heard of it applying to normal purchases.
  18. You should call the immigration office help line about this. You can call them at 157 from any telephone in Turkey. I was under the impression that the owners would be you and members of your immediate family who would actually be buyers of the property rather than just people being listed on the property title deed. I have heard of cases where foreigners have bought a property with many different names on the title deed, intended to bring large numbers of people to Turkey, and that this has not been allowed. So please call the 157 number to be sure about this. Tourist visas are typically sold online, at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/. However citizens from some countries must apply for a Turkish visa at a Turkish embassy or consulate in their country. Go to the e-visa website I mentioned and try to get a visa. If there are any special requirements, the website will tell you. The website doesn't ask about anyone's physical condition.
  19. Bring Canadian cash. When you get to the airport, exchange enough to get a taxi or transportation to where you're going to be. The exchange rates at the airport are outrageously high. Once you're in town, look for an exchange shop called a "döviz" and make your larger exchanges there. The exchange rate at a döviz is far better. You can pay by credit card, or take money from an ATM, but typically foreign banks make money not just from the overseas ATM or credit card fee but also the exchange rate. If you're visiting, that's to be expected. But if you want to live in Turkey, transfer a larger amount of money into a Turkish bank account from time to time and use a Turkish bank ATM card.
  20. You should call the immigration office's help line at 157 and ask that question.
  21. There is no minimum price or value of a property required to get a residence permit. The only condition is that the applicant must actually live in the property. I don't see why you couldn't list multiple owners on a tapu (property title deed). There is no law against it. You cannot get "permanent residency" that is, a long-term residence permit, through owning property. To get a long-term residence permit, which is for life, you must live in Turkey with a work or residence permit for at least eight uninterrupted years. It doesn't matter if you are a property owner or renter. You and anybody on the property title deed would apply for short-term residence permits as property owners. The children can also apply for short-term residence permits, but they must first travel to Turkey with a visa. If you have disabled relatives, they can also get short-term residence permits. But you would have to provide government or court documentation showing that they are dependents requiring your care.
  22. I'd like to ask our community lawyer, Mr. Ender Keleş, to reply to your question. But before I do that it would help if you provided some additional information. What is the complaint about? Service? A procedure improperly performed? Your hospital bill? Please be specific. Is it about a state or private hospital? Was any of your bill paid by the Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu (Social Security Administration, or SGK)?
  23. I'm going to ask Mr. Ender Keleş, our community lawyer, to comment on this. You should consult with him to be sure, after all, this will impact your life a lot! As I understand it, that law applies to citizens who are naturalized, people without Turkish parents who apply to become citizens. As the son of a Turkish parent, you are deemed to be a Turkish citizen from the day you were born.
  24. @Emilio For the first shot, I just chose a clinic near my home. I went early thinking there would be a long line. There was only one person there besides me. After he got his shot, I walked in and got mine. Very quick and easy, and probably 30 minutes before my appointment time. For the second shot, there was a line. Maybe ten people. Then because I got the Sinovac as my first shot, I had to wait for somebody to come give it to me. The wait was maybe 30 minutes.
  25. According to the interviews I've had with various immigration specialists, they have a lot of discretion when it comes to whether a foreigner gets a residence permit or not, and for how long a foreigner will get it for. Sometimes they ask for financial proof and sometimes they don't. Personally, I've been getting residence permits here in Antalya for almost ten years (I am finally applying for my long-term residence permit) and every time I go to the interview they ask me for copies of my bank statements for the last six months. If I might recommend, check out Tömer for Turkish language courses. Tömer is part of Ankara University. They have twelve levels of Turkish language courses. You can get a Turkish language certificate after eight courses, and a bachelor's degree in Turkish after 12 courses. With, of course, a Turkish language certificate or university diploma from Ankara University. http://tomer.ankara.edu.tr/en/home-page/ Because they have a regular and fixed curriculum, and because it is a highly-respected language school in Turkey, going to that school will probably help you a lot to get at least a one-year residence permit when you reapply.
  • Create New...