Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Everything posted by Ken Grubb

  1. I think Eglegal already gave the answer, but perhaps he will provide more information. It sounds to me like the rental adjustment is what Eglegal referred to as asking for an increase in court. There's a similar law in the USA, about "unjust enrichment." That is, even if a contract has been agreed to by two parties, if it is grossly unfair to one of the parties, a judge can adjust the terms to make it fair. It seems to me that this big rent increase is what's unfair. And it seems to me your mother's age works against the landlord. Especially picturing her before a judge matched against a greedy landlord. The rental laws in Turkey tend to favor the renter anyway. Of course I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as legal advice! But as I mentioned before I had the same encounter with my landlord. Yes, he could have gone to a judge and ask that the rent price be adjusted (and he just might have gotten one since what I was paying was well under the market price). He got angry, raised his voice, growled, slammed his fist on the desk. There's a saying in Turkey that the first one who gets angry and slaps the table wins. He threatened to keep hairdressing me, remove the door, toilet, etc. (which is completely illegal). Doing things legally would be a hassle and might work against him, so he used intimidation instead. So I did some searching using Sahibinden.com to see what similar apartments were renting for near my place. And I said I would pay no more than that and made him an offer. I didn't have to do that, but I had been benefiting from very low rent for six years and wasn't planning to live there much longer. So out of fairness I agrees to pay the market price according to similar listings. He accepted. Suddenly he was a nice guy again. You might try that. But if he refuses, and threatens to go to court, then in my opinion, I'd let him. It might just be still in court when your mother moves out. Again I'm just telling you what I did, and what I think I might do in your situation. That's all. Like my landlord, because the law doesn't favor him, he's trying to get what he wants with intimidation. One other point here. To formally notify the landlord, make sure you use a notarial notice that I mentioned before. That's the only way you can prove in court that you had made the offer and that he refused it or failed to reply. SMS messages or e-mails, or things written on paper won't meet the legal notification standards. I mean this especially for your offer to settle the matter. If it does go to court, the court will see that you made the offer and he either refused or failed to respond. And the landlord will know that.
  2. I went there a couple of years ago during the winter. It was pretty dead. Lots of empty summer houses, lots of stores and restaurants closed for the off-season. So during the winter months they'd probably need to go to Kuşadası for shopping, good restaurants or night life. But the beaches there were excellent! And it seemed to be a nice town to be in.
  3. You can pay online, or at least try. I tried it and it wouldn't take my US credit card or even my Turkish debit card. Apparently it wasn't from a participating bank. If you go to the appointment without first paying the fees, then at the end of the appointment the immigration specialist will direct you to a cashier where you can pay. Then you can pay and come back with the receipt. If it's in the main, or provincial, immigration office, there will be a cashier there.
  4. It does cover those issues, it just won't cover a condition you already have. So if you develop a condition after joining the SGK plan it will be covered. However, It would be a good idea to get a health report done before you join the SGK plan. That way, if they refuse to cover something saying it was a pre-existing condition, you can use the health health report to prove that it wasn't pre-existing. You can learn how to get a health report here: We have someone who does residence permit applications for our members and guests. Her name is Selma Akdeniz. She is also an insurance broker so she can also provide health insurance policies (I mention that for anybody else reading this topic). Selma has a contact form here: https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/17-residence-permit-application-service/ If you need legal assistance you can contact our community lawyer, Mr. Ender Keleş. He answers questions in the legal forum, so if you just have questions, please ask them there. His contact form is here: https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/20-legal-services/ If you would like to learn more about Turkey's national health insurance plan, see this article:
  5. You can use the Google Chrome browser with the Google Translate add-on. Here's an article on how to set it up and use it: With that you'll be able to read the website in English. Unfortunately PayPal doesn't work in Turkey. You'll have to use a credit card.
  6. The only way you can get full coverage over age 65 is with the national health insurance plan. You can enroll after you've lived in Turkey for one year. For 2021, the monthly premium of ₺858.60. The premium is the same for everybody.
  7. Personally I don't think it will be a problem at all. I hiked the valleys there and while there is a descent into them and a climb to get out on the ends, there are also flat ways to enter them in the middle. And the valleys are flat. Once in them, I don't recall doing any climbing at all. Two examples are rose valley and sword valley. They're no different from a normal nature hike. As I recall the Göreme Open Air Museum had steps going down to it, but while there is a slope, it's not difficult to walk, no different from what you would encounter where you live now. I don't know how the ambiance of a cave hotel would affect an infant, but as far as I know the only real difference is that there might not be any windows. other than that they're like a regular hotel. I'd suggest going on some of the cave hotel websites (the actual ones, not the hotel booking sites) and sending them an e-mail. You can also get more detailed information about the best valleys and places to go from the hotel where you stay. I've never heard of or seen any facilities for breastfeeding. Nor have I ever seen women breastfeeding babies in public. I think you would have to use a lady's restroom, which you could find at any restaurant or similar facility. They also have paid public restrooms which are often located near mosques. Also in this situation, talk to the people at the hotel where you'll be staying. Turks love children and will go out of their way to help you, especially if a child is involved.
  8. Just to explain further, his visa will expire 180 days after the day he bought it. It's the same as a driving license expiring. It can't be used any more no matter how many days he's been in Turkey. So once his visa reaches its expiration date, he must leave Turkey, get a new visa, and re-enter Turkey. With a valid visa, even if one expires, he leaves Turkey and re-enters with a second visa, he still can only be in Turkey for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. This 180 days has nothing to do with the expiration date of the visa. it's a range of days which includes each day counting back 180 days from whatever date 'today' is. For more information about how the 90 in 180 days thing works, see this article:
  9. Just wanted to clarify something... Are you saying that his visa will be past its expiration date? Not the number of days in Turkey it allows (90 days), but the end of Its validity period of 180 days?
  10. I should have explained that it's actually during the appointment. The immigration specialist will tell you at the end to go and pay the fees and come back with the receipts. Then your application will be complete. You can only get a residence permit with a duration up until 60 days before the passport expires. Are you saying your son's passport expires on 05 February 2023? Then he can only get a residence permit up until 7 December 2022. 60 days before 5 February 2023 is 7 December 2022. If you apply for your son's residence permit with a duration having more time than that, the immigration specialist will at most give an expiration date of 7 December 2022. When your son gets a new passport, the new passport information needs to be reported to the immigration office within 30 business days. Then when he extends the residence permit he'll do the extension application, with another appointment, and pay the fees again. At that point he could get a two-year residence permit because he'll have plenty of time left on his new passport. For you to get a two-year residence permit, your passport must be valid for 365 x 2 + 60 days = 790 days.
  11. There are three types of insurance you can get. The minimum-coverage policy specifically for a residence permit. A more expensive private policy that exceeds the minimum coverage standards, which you can also use for a residence permit as long as it has a statement saying it meets the minimum standards. SGK national insurance you can get after one year of having a residence permit. If you can tell me which type of insurance you're referring to, I can give you a more specific answer.
  12. I don't know of any driving school I would recommend. I haven't been to one. When I got my Turkish driver's license it was just a matter of exchanging it with various paperwork. As I commented above they don't do that any more and everybody has to go to a driving school. I think probably every driver's course offers the course in other languages. But here's a Google map showing the locations of driving schools. I even included "İngilizce" in the search words: Also here's a list of documents you'll need, from the Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs (Nüfus) website: https://www.nvi.gov.tr/tokat/surucu-belgesi-ehliyet-basvurusunda-gereken-belgeler It's in Turkish but you can translate it using the Google Chrome browser and the Google Translate add-on.
  13. For people under age 18 or under and 65 or over health insurance isn't required for a residence permit. Also, after you live in Turkey for one year you can join the government SGK insurance plan which will cover you and your entire family (including children), if you're interested in that.
  14. You might as well go for two years. The only issue with that is that you might pay the fees for two years, then the immigration specialist gives you one! So you might go to your appointment without paying the fees and explain to the immigration specialist that you wanted to make sure he would give two years. Then at the end of the interview you can go and pay whatever fees you have to pay and come back with the receipt. If the immigration office is one of the main provincial ones, there will be a vezne (cashier) where you can pay. If it's one of the local branch offices like they have in Istanbul, you'll have to go somewhere else to pay.
  15. It's best if you contact the military authorities and ask them. This is a serious issue and you should get your information directly from the source.
  16. Just to add to what Redders has already said... You can't use a foreign policy for a residence permit. The company must have an office in Turkey. So any insurance policy you get must be from a Turkish company. Here's a link to the contact form which goes to Mertsel Insurance. They provide health insurance for residence permits for our members and guests. https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/18-turkey-residence-permit-health-insurance/ Besides the basic residence permit policies which only meet government standards and have limited coverage, Mertsel also offers more comprehensive private policies that can be tailored to your needs, including what you want to be covered, deductibles, and co-pays. Their policies also contain the wording that is required for a residence permit, that is, a statement that it meets the minimum Turkish government standards.
  17. See this article: There's a link at the bottom where he can contact the Turkish military and ask about this. Unfortunately I don't know how they handle cases where the Turkish person has been living overseas and doesn't speak Turkish.
  18. I haven't heard about such a charge, but if Aydem is telling you this, than you can believe it. I know that when you apply for water service, they ask for a deposit and refund it when you close the account.
  19. Thank you Redders, for your help in making sure the information here is correct! You always know what you're talking about. And thank you Colin, for coming back and telling us what you heard from the immigration office. I have corrected the article (and my previous post) that I wrote on this. Good luck to you, Colin! I hope you can get your child's passport quickly and easily. I hope you'll come back and let us know how everything went.
  20. The Ministry of Health website is here: https://saglik.gov.tr/. I see on their "iletişim" (contact) page their main contact info is: Bilkent Campus, Universiteler Mah. Dumlupinar boulevard 6001. Cad. No:9 Çankaya/Ankara 06800 Tel : + 90 (312) 585 1000 And also listed there is: GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF PUBLIC HOSPITALS Tel: 0312 565 00 00-01 There is an option for legal services, the telephone number is Tel: 0312 458 51 62. Unfortunately their actual page isn't working. If you can tell me where the hospital is, I can find the info for the local prosecutor's office for you. I have a friend who I think can give you more information. I have contacted here and will relay the info to you. As for a malpractice lawyer, you might contact Mr. Keleş directly using his contact form here: https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/20-legal-services/. I also found a "Request, Suggestion, and Complaint Form" on the ministry of health website here: https://pydb.saglik.gov.tr/TR,76672/talep-oneri-ve-sikayet-formu.html
  21. You can get a family residence permit for your son, but the family residence permit is only good until the expiration of your work permit, which is one year for the first residence permit. You might as well apply for short-term residence permits for both your mother and your son. The difficulty in renewals of the short-term residence permits are only applicable when the applicant doesn't have a good reason to be in Turkey, and that only applies to certain countries. You should be just fine applying for short-term residence permits for both. But to be sure, call the immigration office helpline at 157 and ask. It is always best to get information directly from them.
  22. If you need to leave Turkey and return, see this article. There is a specific situation in that article you need to read, that is, your residence permit has been approved This is a direct link to that section of the article. https://www.turkeycentral.com/guides/residence-permits/traveling/#approved They probably gave you a tebligat (official communique) at the end of your appointment, which is just a memo saying they received your application and that they will process it. You need to send an e-mail to the immigration office where you applied and request an İkamet İzni Müracaat Belgesi (Residence Permit Application Document) and they will send you one by e-mail. This allows for trips outside of Turkey for up to 15 days and return without a visa. However, as I mentioned in the article, foreigners have left Turkey and returned without it with no problems, and I called the visa violations office in Istanbul and they verified that they can see that you have an approved residence permit in the system. So there are different stories from the two different offices involved. The safest thing to do would be to ask for the Residence Permit Application Document, but it is up to you.
  23. Contact your employer to be sure. It is they who are getting your work permit for you. They must enter their information into the system and also yours. So as long as they have all of your personal information, they can proceed with the application and you can wait for the result.
  24. Thanks Redders! I haven't been through that route, so I wasn't sure if there was an exception for children born in Turkey. My source material may have been incorrect, and I just don't know for sure. Colin, I think you could do a couple of things here. First call 157 and ask to make sure, or go ahead and create an application, and click on that link for a child born in Turkey to see if it will allow you to proceed without first having the baby's passport. As I recall, even in the English version, the option for a child born in Turkey is still in Turkish. If it doesn't allow you to register the application, you can cancel it and then proceed in getting a passport. Even if you do that, considering the time it apparently takes, you should still call 157 to learn what exactly you need to do. I would call for you, but no doubt they will ask me various questions about your situation that I can't answer for them. In the past when I have asked them questions on behalf of another person, they have told me to have that person contact them instead.
  25. I've heard a wide range of days it takes to get a residence permit in Istanbul after it is approved. In Antalya, it's taken me 40 days to finally get it delivered. I believe one of our members in Istanbul received theirs in around 20 days, but it all depends on how busy the immigration office is, so there's no way to really predict when you'll receive it. If it's been approved, the police and border control police will be able to see that you have a valid residence permit. There have been members who have left Turkey and returned before receiving their residence permit card and the border control officials could see in the system that their residence permit had been approved, and let them enter without a visa. So as long as it's been approved, you're okay, even if you don't have the card yet. This article may interest you:
  • Create New...