Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Everything posted by Ken Grubb

  1. Excellent review of the process! Regarding tracking your residence permit's approval and delivery, see this article:
  2. I recently extended a residence permit and saw that in the online application system, you can designate an immediate family member to receive your residence permit card. You just have to enter their identification information into the system. I called the immigration office to make sure they don't also need power of attorney. The immigration specialist I spoke with said that if you designate an immediate family member to receive your card, they don't need power of attorney. But your immediate family member must be at your home when your card is delivered.
  3. Yes you can go early and pay the fees. For anyone who is going in the afternoon, the cashier closes at 3:15 PM for some reason, so if you have an appointment after that be there before 3:15 on the same day. If for some reason you can't pay the fees at the cashier before your appointment, they'll just tell you to pay them and bring the receipts on the next day.
  4. Thanks for that update, Astrophil. This topic is now findable in Google for both words, so it should be of help to others with the same question. I see that over 1,400 people have already read this topic.
  5. I forgot to mention this. I don't know how ready you are to create a business in Turkey, but there is a category of short-term residence permit for staying in Turkey to create a business or establish business contacts. So you could get a short-term residence permit for this purpose. I haven't used this type of residence permit and I don't know anybody who has. But you can call the Turkish immigration office at 157 from anywhere in Turkey, or at +90 312 157 1122. There is an option for English.
  6. The best thing I can recommend is that you call the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Security and ask them. They have a helpline at 170. From outside of Turkey, call +90 216 170 1122. It has an English option. It's up to you whether you want to come together or separately. When you come you'll have to stay in a hotel and find a place to live first, so it would be cheaper if only one person was doing that. But you can all apply for a residence permit at the same time. I was told by a colleague that a family group can get a residence permit appointment at the same time. Apparently it's done by having multiple online applications open, then when the first appointment is booked, adding the other application numbers to the same appointment. You can also have someone do your online applications for you and support you in getting the documents you need. Just go to our form for the residence permit application service, here: Residence Permit Application Service Let them know that you would like to book three appointments at the same time. The person who does these applications is also an insurance broker, so she can find the best prices for the residence permit insurance (all of those policies are the same but different companies charge different prices). Or if you want a more comprehensive private policy for you and your family, she can arrange that too.
  7. You can also get a private health insurance policy that covers whatever you want. The cost will vary of course, depending on what coverage you want. This article covers private health insurance policies which cover more than the basic residece permit health insurance. Pay attention to the "Required Wording" section near the end. If you get a policy that wasn't specifically designed for residence permits, the policy must have that wording on the first page.
  8. OK your comment about opening a Turkish company makes sense then The more you can show that you're serious about being here, the better I think. Oh, sorry, I think I used an American term... cutting invoices means creating them and billing customers with them. If you're not issuing invoices and getting paid for your work by Turkish people or companies, and you're not doing direct business with them, then you don't need a residence permit. And it would be the US company, a separate entity, paying the Turkish workers. So it seems to me you would not need a work permit, since there is no business presence in Turkey except for Turkish citizens who don't need work permits. You CAN apply for residence permits for your family. They would apply for short-term residence permits. So you could come to Turkey and get a short-term residence permit, then your family could come on visas and also apply for short-term residence permits. Your family doesn't have to wait a year... that requirement only applies to family residence permits So the short-term residence permit is the best way to go. They don't get anything extra by having a family residence permit, except for the duration of the family residence permit, which is three years, or until the sponsor's residence permit expires. So it really makes no sense to get family residence permits for them. If they have family residence permits, then as soon as your short-term residence permit expires, so do all of the family residence permits. It's best that you apply for a two-year short-term residence permit, and also apply for each family member to have a two-year short-term residence permit. There's also a way to set up all of the appointments on the same day if you need to. Let me know if you need advice on that. The reason the family residence permit has a duration of three years is for the spouses and children of Turkish citizens, After three years of marriage, the foreign spouse and children can apply for citizenship. While the foreign family of a foreign sponsor can also do this, it doesn't make sense if the foreigner can only get a residence permit for the maximum of two years. It would only make sense if the foreigner had a long-term residence permit, which never expires (you have to live in Turkey for at least eight years to get one of these). So you and your whole family could move to and live in Turkey with short-term residence permits, whenever they want. To prove you can support your spouse and family, you must be able to prove that you have income (or the savings equivalent) of at least the Turkish minimum wage, and 1/3rd of the minimum wage for each family member. Have a look at this article, it explains how to prove you have enough money and includes the minimum wage amounts. I definitely know what you mean about learning... I'm still learning! And all of us foreigners in Turkey have been in the same situation. Anyway I hope the above makes sense...
  9. Yes you can pay before the appointment, or after. The cashier is in the same building so it's very quick and easy.
  10. This is rather typical. The online system for paying the fees only takes a limited number of credit cards. Also, the "participating banks" either don't seem to know that foreigners can pay their residence permit application fees there, or they are just rejecting them. The only sure way to pay them is at the tax office. If your application is at a provincial capital, however, they probably have a cashier there who can take the fee payments. The worst-case scenario would be if you went to your appointment without paying the fees. In that case they would just tell you to go and pay them and bring the receipts back.
  11. I haven't actually done this, but talked to a colleague of mine who does a lot of online residence permit applications for foreigners. She said that you can book multiple appointments at the same time, when you are concluding the final residence permit application. That is, when you have say, five residence permit applications open and in progress (you haven't booked an appointment for any of them), then when you do the fifth and last one, you can include the other application numbers so the appointments are all at the same time. Does that make sense? Or did you already book an appointment with your wife when you tried to combine the appointments?
  12. Ah yes. That makes sense. Thanks to Vu8 for helping. You can actually add two insurance policies in case you're applying for a two-year short-term residence permit and have to add two separate insurance policies (one for the first year and one for the second year). But apparently you must use the "add" function even if you only have a health insurance policy for one year.
  13. I don't know. All of you would have to apply for short-term residence permits individually. Firstly, even if you register a company in Turkey you don't get a work permit. The only way you could get one is if you hire at least five Turkish workers. That is, your company would hire you. And then you would hire five Turkish workers. Then you could get a work permit. I am a managing partner in Turkey Central LLC. Turkey Central has a separate website, www.turkeypermit.com, with English-speaking Turkish citizens who can also set up your residence permit for you. They can also get you your tax number and health insurance, regardless of where you are in Turkey. You can request the services here: Turkey Residence Permit Services. The Turkey work permit laws are rather strict. However, if you work for a company who is outside of Turkey, and you don't provide services directly for, or take money from, or cut invoices for Turkish citizens in Turkey, you don't need a work permit. If your company is outside of Turkey and you don't do these things, you don't need a work permit. You can open a US company in Delaware for $199 USD. Check out The Inc Company. You can open a Delaware, USA, company very cheaply. They take care of everything. Then your company will be in the USA. Regarding your friend in Istanbul, really I have no idea. If you trust him or her, go with them. They seem to know what they're talking about because yes, those districts you mentioned do discriminate against foreigners (so they must be in the know to some extent). If things don't work out, contact me. At least you have two sources of good info in Turkey. It is always possible. I'm a US citizen, retired in Turkey. I've lived here for 20 years. I've had and extended my short-term residence permit the entire time. I'm confident that it will be extended again, and again. Yet I understand that my extension can still be rejected. I doubt it ever will, but it's a possibility. Now speaking from one digital nomad to another. Let's say my extension was rejected. I could still keep my rented apartment in Turkey, leave Turkey, and return the next day with a visa (residence permits and visas are two different things). Then I could apply for a new short-term residence permit. As far as opening a company, as I mentioned before, if it is an online company, have a look at incorporating in Delaware (that is, if you even need a company). Then hire Turks to write your content or do whatever else. Then live wherever you want.
  14. Do you now exactly what organization he works for? Maybe they have a website with a contact form. Or an address to which you can send a letter addressed to him.
  15. I'm not sure but I think the prices are fixed. So are the taxes which make it more expensive. For example, if I buy alcohol at my local market, the guy actually takes out a list to see what the price is. Maybe some stores have lower prices than others but I don't know... Anybody else know?
  16. I hope you don't mind, I edited your previous post to make the abbreviations more clear. Once you get your residence permit, join e-Devlet (e-Government), at https://turkiye.gov.tr/. From there you can download a lot of documents you might need in the future. It also has lots of other features. After you join browse the site to see what it offers. Here's a guide for joining and using it: Another site to join is Yemek Sepeti. They have a network of restaurants which deliver to your house. Another one is the Migros Sanal Market. They deliver groceries to your house.
  17. Then we are both digital nomads. I know what you mean. I'm re-reading Tim Ferris's book, but haven't read Nomad Capitalist yet. If you read The Four Hour Work Week, that's probably enough... I just wanted to see if we were of the same mind. If you're from Pakistan it might be more complicated. The immigration office sometimes doesn't extend residence permits, and sometimes they only give less than a year for foreigners which are NOT from certain countries. Instead of naming these countries, they have only published a list of countries whose citizens are not affected by this. Here's the list: Now, that doesn't mean you can't do what you plan to do. I think the reason is that they have so many people coming in from certain countries who often work illegally without a work permit, or for who knows what other reason. However, if you have a good reason to be moving to Turkey and staying here, they don't limit your residence. It sounds to me like you have a good reason for moving to and staying in Turkey, especially if you want to open a company and give jobs to Turks. Here's how I'd do it. Come to Turkey and apply for a residence permit. Go to your appointment at the immigration office. If they don't give you an interview, ask to talk to an immigration specialist about your situation and see what they say. Also, write a letter explaining your reason for moving to Turkey and what you intend to do. Have it translated into Turkish, and include that in your residence permit application package. I think the reason for the restriction is because so many people come in from neighbouring countries because Turkey is a better place to live, and they want to see a better reason than just that. If you provide a compelling reason, like the one you have, they should approve your residence permit. After you see what they do with your residence permit, then apply for residence permits for your family. I'm kind of in the same situation although I'm from the USA. If you're just doing internet work for a foreign company and not doing business with Turks or Turkish businesses, cutting invoices, taking money, etc., you don't need a work permit. I don't do any of that. However my company, Turkey Central LLC, based in the USA, hires Turkish citizens on a contract basis to provide content for Turkey Central. I could do that same thing from any country, but I live in Antalya. Perhaps a business configuration like that would benefit you. Also, in your situation I would avoid Istanbul. They are the most restrictive when it comes to approving residence permits. Consider Antalya, or Izmir, or another place to live and your chances of approval (and extensions) will probably be better.
  18. Unfortunately, no. According to a conversation I had with a specialist a the immigration office, if you want to apply for a short-term residence permit as a property owner, you must live in the property you own. You can use a hotel as your address and apply for a two-year residence permit while you're still looking for a property to rent, then change your address when you move in to your new home. If you rent a place, you must provide a notarized copy of the rental agreement. This article covers the kinds of address you can use and the documents you'll need: Your Address and Changing Your Address
  19. Vu8, that is excellent information. Thank you! If I may ask, what is a VN, and what fatura (invoice) did they require? I really appreciate your coming back with these updates. It helps me (and everyone else) a lot.
  20. I wonder if you've read the book "Nomad Capitalist" by Andrew Henderson. In that book he talks about living in various countries and working as a "digital nomad" and obtaining citizenship in various countries. Or maybe "The Four Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferris. I'm also something of a digital nomad, although my travels have been curtailed by the pandemic for now. Anyway, I'm in a similar situation and intend to travel and work, with my base in Turkey. After eight years of continuous residence (there are rules for disqualifying gaps in residence) I can get a long-term residence permit (which never expires and is basically the same as citizenship). However, I may want to stay in another country (countries) for a longer period which might constitute a break in residence. So I am considering maintaining an apartment in Turkey and continuing to extend my two-year short-term residence permit. If by chance I am out of the country when my residence permit expires, I can just get another tourist visa to re-enter Turkey, then apply for another residence permit. I could come and go to and from Turkey as much as I want that way. No need for a long-term residence permit, or citizenship. Of course there is no guarantee that any residence permit will be approved, but the Turkish government tends to favor citizens from certain countries when it comes to giving out one or two-year residence permits. May I ask your country of citizenship? I'll check the list of countries and see if you might be able to do something like that. It would solve your problem, you could do what you intend, and you wouldn't have to become a Turkish citizen.
  21. Okay I misunderstood. This is the first time I've heard of a temporary three-month SIM card. The way it's been done is the foreigner would get a regular SIM card, but then the phone would stop working after 90 days (it has been extended to a year because of the pandemic). It didn't depend on whether the foreigner had a residence permit or not, it was just about paying the fee. So unfortunately I don't know how it works with the temporary SIM card.
  22. Read the policy to see what it covers and doesn't cover. The policies issued only to meet the minimum requirements for a residence permit are somewhat limited. They are even more limited in the first year, since the insurance companies use that first year to filter out any pre-existing problems. In the second year, the same policy covers a lot more. The policies issued for residence permits are all the same, regardless of what company you buy your policy from. The price changes from company to company depending on what the company thinks they can get for it. Again, these policies issued for foreigners needing residence permits only meet minimum standards and have limited coverage in the first year. If you want more comprehensive coverage, you'll need to buy a private health insurance policy that meets and exceeds the minimum coverage requirements. If you are interested in buying one of these more expensive policies let me know. We have a health insurance company who issues health insurance policies for Turkey Central members.
  23. Please read this article and ask questions if anything is unclear. This article explains everything I have learned from reading the citizenship law, the documents implementing the law, conversations with personnel at the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (General Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs, or "nufüs") and various foreigners who have gone through the citizenship process :
  • Create New...