Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Everything posted by Ken Grubb

  1. Do you now exactly what organization he works for? Maybe they have a website with a contact form. Or an address to which you can send a letter addressed to him.
  2. I'm not sure but I think the prices are fixed. So are the taxes which make it more expensive. For example, if I buy alcohol at my local market, the guy actually takes out a list to see what the price is. Maybe some stores have lower prices than others but I don't know... Anybody else know?
  3. I hope you don't mind, I edited your previous post to make the abbreviations more clear. Once you get your residence permit, join e-Devlet (e-Government), at https://turkiye.gov.tr/. From there you can download a lot of documents you might need in the future. It also has lots of other features. After you join browse the site to see what it offers. Here's a guide for joining and using it: Another site to join is Yemek Sepeti. They have a network of restaurants which deliver to your house. Another one is the Migros Sanal Market. They deliver groceries to your house.
  4. Then we are both digital nomads. I know what you mean. I'm re-reading Tim Ferris's book, but haven't read Nomad Capitalist yet. If you read The Four Hour Work Week, that's probably enough... I just wanted to see if we were of the same mind. If you're from Pakistan it might be more complicated. The immigration office sometimes doesn't extend residence permits, and sometimes they only give less than a year for foreigners which are NOT from certain countries. Instead of naming these countries, they have only published a list of countries whose citizens are not affected by this. Here's the list: Now, that doesn't mean you can't do what you plan to do. I think the reason is that they have so many people coming in from certain countries who often work illegally without a work permit, or for who knows what other reason. However, if you have a good reason to be moving to Turkey and staying here, they don't limit your residence. It sounds to me like you have a good reason for moving to and staying in Turkey, especially if you want to open a company and give jobs to Turks. Here's how I'd do it. Come to Turkey and apply for a residence permit. Go to your appointment at the immigration office. If they don't give you an interview, ask to talk to an immigration specialist about your situation and see what they say. Also, write a letter explaining your reason for moving to Turkey and what you intend to do. Have it translated into Turkish, and include that in your residence permit application package. I think the reason for the restriction is because so many people come in from neighbouring countries because Turkey is a better place to live, and they want to see a better reason than just that. If you provide a compelling reason, like the one you have, they should approve your residence permit. After you see what they do with your residence permit, then apply for residence permits for your family. I'm kind of in the same situation although I'm from the USA. If you're just doing internet work for a foreign company and not doing business with Turks or Turkish businesses, cutting invoices, taking money, etc., you don't need a work permit. I don't do any of that. However my company, Turkey Central LLC, based in the USA, hires Turkish citizens on a contract basis to provide content for Turkey Central. I could do that same thing from any country, but I live in Antalya. Perhaps a business configuration like that would benefit you. Also, in your situation I would avoid Istanbul. They are the most restrictive when it comes to approving residence permits. Consider Antalya, or Izmir, or another place to live and your chances of approval (and extensions) will probably be better.
  5. Unfortunately, no. According to a conversation I had with a specialist a the immigration office, if you want to apply for a short-term residence permit as a property owner, you must live in the property you own. You can use a hotel as your address and apply for a two-year residence permit while you're still looking for a property to rent, then change your address when you move in to your new home. If you rent a place, you must provide a notarized copy of the rental agreement. This article covers the kinds of address you can use and the documents you'll need: Your Address and Changing Your Address
  6. Vu8, that is excellent information. Thank you! If I may ask, what is a VN, and what fatura (invoice) did they require? I really appreciate your coming back with these updates. It helps me (and everyone else) a lot.
  7. I wonder if you've read the book "Nomad Capitalist" by Andrew Henderson. In that book he talks about living in various countries and working as a "digital nomad" and obtaining citizenship in various countries. Or maybe "The Four Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferris. I'm also something of a digital nomad, although my travels have been curtailed by the pandemic for now. Anyway, I'm in a similar situation and intend to travel and work, with my base in Turkey. After eight years of continuous residence (there are rules for disqualifying gaps in residence) I can get a long-term residence permit (which never expires and is basically the same as citizenship). However, I may want to stay in another country (countries) for a longer period which might constitute a break in residence. So I am considering maintaining an apartment in Turkey and continuing to extend my two-year short-term residence permit. If by chance I am out of the country when my residence permit expires, I can just get another tourist visa to re-enter Turkey, then apply for another residence permit. I could come and go to and from Turkey as much as I want that way. No need for a long-term residence permit, or citizenship. Of course there is no guarantee that any residence permit will be approved, but the Turkish government tends to favor citizens from certain countries when it comes to giving out one or two-year residence permits. May I ask your country of citizenship? I'll check the list of countries and see if you might be able to do something like that. It would solve your problem, you could do what you intend, and you wouldn't have to become a Turkish citizen.
  8. Okay I misunderstood. This is the first time I've heard of a temporary three-month SIM card. The way it's been done is the foreigner would get a regular SIM card, but then the phone would stop working after 90 days (it has been extended to a year because of the pandemic). It didn't depend on whether the foreigner had a residence permit or not, it was just about paying the fee. So unfortunately I don't know how it works with the temporary SIM card.
  9. Read the policy to see what it covers and doesn't cover. The policies issued only to meet the minimum requirements for a residence permit are somewhat limited. They are even more limited in the first year, since the insurance companies use that first year to filter out any pre-existing problems. In the second year, the same policy covers a lot more. The policies issued for residence permits are all the same, regardless of what company you buy your policy from. The price changes from company to company depending on what the company thinks they can get for it. Again, these policies issued for foreigners needing residence permits only meet minimum standards and have limited coverage in the first year. If you want more comprehensive coverage, you'll need to buy a private health insurance policy that meets and exceeds the minimum coverage requirements. If you are interested in buying one of these more expensive policies let me know. We have a health insurance company who issues health insurance policies for Turkey Central members.
  10. Please read this article and ask questions if anything is unclear. This article explains everything I have learned from reading the citizenship law, the documents implementing the law, conversations with personnel at the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (General Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs, or "nufüs") and various foreigners who have gone through the citizenship process :
  11. I am so happy to hear stories like yours. And I'm happy that everything turned out okay for you. Congratulations on receiving the residence permits you requested!
  12. What I know is that if you're coming from the USA, you'll have to go to a Turkish driving school. They have course materials in English. And the school will arrange for you to get a Turkish driver's license.
  13. I might meet the requirement of proof of your intent to stay in Turkey, but you could do that just as well by buying a home here and living in it for five years. You can invest in businesses and such things to obtain immediate citizenship, but the minimum investment is the equivalent of $500,000 USD. Or you could buy a home for $250,000. There is a clause in the law about how many Turks you hire, but it's a huge number, like for a very large company. You don't actually have to do anything like that for citizenship except live in Turkey for five years, and prove that you intend to live here, and when you go for your interview demonstrate a knowledge of the Turkish culture and language. Have a look at this article about obtaining Turkish citizenship after five years: For citizenship, and even a long-term residence permit, you must live in Turkey. You can't just run a business here while being elsewhere in the world and expect them to give you citizenship.
  14. Try the websites of the utility providers. They should be listed on your bill. They normally have a bill inquiry function and an option to pay by credit card.
  15. I've never heard of any service besides the PTT who offers private post office boxes. Keep in mind that Turkey isn't in the best of geographic neighbourhoods, so security is tighter on such things. If you open a post office box at the PTT and receive a package, they'll put a notification in your box telling you what window to go to. I don't think there is any other way of doing it other than having the items shipped to your home. And just as a reminder, if you want to do that, the items must be shipped by US Mail only. It would also be a good idea to send it in a way that the package can be tracked.
  16. That's great! Congratulations! I hope yours and your son's residence permits come soon. Let us know if you have any problems.
  17. I think the previous owner of your unit would have that. You would have to contact them. Or check with the real estate agent. Maybe the yönetici (apartment manager) might have it, you could check and see. I suspect, though, that if you can't find a key, you will have to have the lock replaced. I recommend replacing the whole lock anyway. You cannot know how many people have access to whatever key(s) are out there, who they are, and what they might do with it. So to be on the safe side, change the lock.
  18. Your residence permit will be sent by registered mail, so the postal person will ring your doorbell and have you sign for it. They are not supposed to leave it there or give it to anybody else. As for mail, we have mailboxes in our building but the security is terrible. So I went to the post office and opened a post office box (posta kutusu). It only costs me like 20 TL per year. That way I know my mail is secure and not left in the lobby. But I have to go to the post office and check my mail regularly. Another issue is that you can't receive packages from cargo carriers like DHL or FedEx at a post office box. Only mail send through a government official mail system.
  19. The person you pay the Aydat (monthly maintenance payment) is either a person in your complex or a company. We just transitioned from a person to a company recently, so telling you about that might help. Previously, there was a resident-owner who volunteered to collect and keep the aydat payments and pay the bills. The person is called a yönetici (manager). To pay, I would go to their apartment and pay, and she would give me a receipt for each payment. I never asked to see any record of her management, but I assume she kept one. The duty transferred from one person to another as they volunteered. Eventually they couldn't find anybody to do it, so the latest one hired a maintenance company to take care of it. Then the new aydat fee was announced, and we were all given a bank account number to pay into, and the information about the company which was managing it. Either way, one of your neighbors would know who the yönetici is, the amount and procedures, so you would need to ask one of your neighbors who is handling it.
  20. If you haven't been to your appointment yet, then unfortunately you haven't actually applied for a residence permit yet. The online registration is simply that... a registration. Your application isn't complete until you've submitted all of your documents as well. So you won't be able to get a foreigner ID until after you complete the application. They do issue foreigner IDs in advance, but from a conversation I had with an immigration specialist, they only do it if there is an urgent need for it. However, when you submit your documents at your appointment, you could ask them if they could give you a foreigner identification number early, and see what they say. Even with a foreigner identification number, you won't be able to get a "real" mobile phone account. I checked with TurkCell on that. However you could check with some of the other mobile phone service providers and see if they will. I've lived in Turkey for 20 years with a residence permit and they still won't give me a regular account.
  21. Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Is your current residence permit expired?
  22. That page is kind of confusing I think. The system finds your application using your application number, your communications preference, and your identity information. In all cases, you must enter your application number. So that's the first row at the top, and there is only one application number. In the second row it's asking for your communications information. So enter either your mobile (cell) phone number, OR your e-mail address. You only need to enter one of them (not both of them). In the third row is your identity information. So enter either your foreigner ID number (if you already have a residence permit and are extending it, OR your passport number. You only need to enter one of them (not both of them).
  23. Islam is the religion, and a Muslim is a believer in Islam.
  • Create New...