Jump to content

Ken Grubb

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Ken Grubb last won the day on September 22

Ken Grubb had the most liked content!

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Ancient history, Turkey, and science.

Recent Profile Visitors

42,510 profile views
  1. Regarding the map and the Oba Viking, wow, that is weird! I just looked at it while my VPN was on showing me in the USA, and it was displaying a burger restaurant in New York City! That's not how the map was when I posted it. Anyway I used a different method using the coordinates instead, so the marker is in the right place now. Thanks for letting me know about that.
  2. There are many categories of short-term residence permits. For example, there's one to take Turkish courses, one to conduct research, one to set up a business, etc. For renters, the category is "tourism." That might sound strange because it sounds like you're continuously sightseeing. But that's the category renters are in. It can be extended indefinitely. I've been living in Turkey as a renter for 20 years by extending my short-term "tourism" residence permit. For foreigners that own their home, there's the short-term residence permit category "property owner." If you own your home in Turkey, the extension of your short-term residence permit is practically guaranteed. With the "tourism" type of short-term residence permit, In some cases (especially in Istanbul), the immigration office hasn't been extending them for foreigners from certain countries. If the foreigners in these cases had owned their home, they wouldn't be affected. So while you don't have to own a property to get a residence permit, buying a home will put you in the "property owner" category and serve as a guarantee that it will be extended. The way they did the list of countries which are affected by the restrictions is by making a list of countries which are not affected. So if you're a citizen of one of those countries you won't be affected. I know this is outside of the scope of your questions, but I thought this might be useful to you or anyone else reading this topic. Here's an article with the list:
  3. Here it is: To qualify for a long-term residence permit, you must live in Turkey for at least eight years, continuously with a residence or work permit, and without a significant interruption. It has nothing to do with owning property. The long-term residence permit never expires, but it can be canceled if you're out of Turkey for more than, I believe, one year unless it's for things like education, medical treatment or mandatory national service in your home country. Anyway that's the only time it might become invalid. You may be thinking of Turkish citizenship by investment. In that program, if you buy a property which is appraised at more than the equivalent of $250,000 USD, you automatically qualify for citizenship. Or you may be thinking of the "property owner" category of the short-term residence permit.
  4. A "residence" is a more luxurious apartment complex, often a gated community with security, a pool, recreation rooms and areas, etc. You may also run across the word "site" (see-teh). A site is basically just a group of apartments where everyone pays a monthly fee for maintenance expenses and the upkeep of common areas in the complex. It can be a low-cost budget complex or a very luxurious complex. By that logic, all residences are sites but not all sites are residences. So the word "residence" refers to a site which has lots of amenities and is more like a residential community. For the Oba Viking restaurant, take a look at the above map again. There should be a map marker in the center showing where the Oba Viking is. Are you able to see that?
  5. I would call the immigration helpline at 157 and ask them to be sure. This is how I understand it. You can't change your address after you apply online for an extension until you receive your residence permit card. After you receive your card you can change your address. If you find a place before you apply online for the extension, you can use your new address when you apply online.
  6. If you have a Turkish mother or father, according to Turkish law, you're a Turkish citizen already. The rule for avoiding service in the military after age 22 applies to foreigners without a Turkish parent who become a Turkish citizen.
  7. I went to a TurkCell store a few weeks ago and asked them if I could get a permanent account and pay from my bank account instead of having to buy more credit every time it runs out. I wanted to see if anything had changed. I have a residence permit. They told me that foreigners with residence permits can't get a regular account. We still have to use the prepaid plan.
  8. Did you have the owner put the water account in their name or were you able to get it yourself?
  9. Have a look at the article about translating Turkish web pages with the Google Chrome browser and the Google Translate extension. Using that you can view the property pages in English. When I was looking for property in Alanya using Sahibinden.com, I used the drop-down list for the names of the districts in Alanya and made a list of them. Then I went to Google Maps, and one-by-one learned where these districts are. Then I deleted those districts from my list that were areas where I didn't want to live. That way I could refine my search for properties in areas I liked. I also clicked on a few markers for various local businesses near a property I was viewing to see the info and address in the left sidebar of Google maps. From that I could see what district the property was in and make sure it was on my list. One note though. You'll see a district called "Oba." In Google maps it shows it as being Northeast, away from the main part of Alanya. Technically, that is Oba. But there's another Oba that isn't among the addresses. That's the Oba where you'll find the Viking Restaurant. It used to be a lake called Oba Gölü (Oba Lake). But people in Alanya also call that area "Oba" or Oba Gölü." There is a large Russian community in Alanya, mostly based in Mahmutlar, with a lot of apartments and a beach. So your wife will be able to meet other Russians as well. You're right about the areas East of Alanya. There isn't much there, except for Anamur, which has a nice beach but the town is quite small. I've been to Mersin a few times and I don't think I would want to live there. It's a big city with a port but other than that, I don't think there's much to say about it. Thanks to you for your posts here. It makes the information in our community richer, and thousands of people read these topics even after they're no longer active.
  10. If you haven't heard of it, try www.sahibinden.com. They list both rental properties and properties for sale. For Alanya, I'd recommend waiting until October or later, since right now there are a lot of people renting places there. I like Alanya a lot. I just got back from staying two weeks there. It has the best beaches of any seaside town I've seen in Turkey, that is, of those seaside towns that aren't dead during the winter months. There's a popular restaurant/bar you might check out in Alanya, called the "Viking." There's at least one other by the same name so make sure you go to the one in Oba. It's a a popular place with expats and a good place to get to know people and make friends. They have trivia nights during the winter, and karaoke (if you're into that) all year, and also musical performances. There's an excellent American guitarist who plays there on Sunday evenings--guitar, mandolin, trumpet, violin. I've been considering moving there myself from where I am now, in Antalya. I don't know how much time you've had in Turkey so far, but if there's anything I can to to help you retire in Turkey feel free to post in the forums. I'll keep an eye out for your posts.
  11. Unfortunately, you can't use such a short-term rental for a residence permit application. I called the immigration office about this a few months ago and they said you must have at least a one-year rental contract. Secondly, shot-term rentals like Air B&B are actually illegal in Turkey, unless the property is a hotel or is being rented by a licensed agency which follows the same reporting requirements as a hotel. People still advertise properties in Turkey on Air B&B and similar sites, but if they're not a licensed agency, it's illegal. And they can't be used as an address for a residence permit application. However, you can stay at a hotel while looking for a place to buy or rent, and apply for a one or two-year short-term residence permit while staying at the hotel. Then after you find a place to live, you can report your change of address.
  12. I don't know how Turkish law treats this, but in common contract law you must have an offer, acceptance, and "consideration," which can be a payment or an act required to create the contract. So as I understand it, the advertisement is the offer, your accepting the terms is the acceptance, and your paying what's required in the contract is the consideration. That completes the contract. There are two types of notarizations you can get. The first is the notarization of the actual contract, where both parties go to the notary and certify that the contract is valid. The notary's stamp confirms that the contract has been made. Nobody can later say the written contract isn't a legal contract made by both parties. The second is a "notarized copy" of the contract, which is required to get a residence permit. In this case the notary makes a copy and puts their stamp on it. In this case the notary is certifying that the copy is an exact copy of the original. The notary isn't certifying the contract itself, they are certifying that the copy is an exact copy. For a residence permit application, you would give the immigration specialist the notarized copy and keep the original. For the walk-through, to be absolutely certain and have no disputes I would use a mobile phone to record the condition in a video. It would also be a good idea to depict, in some way, the person who is showing the apartment to you. That way, if they say something was damaged later, you'll have the video, and the person who showed you the apartment in the video. That will date it to the time of the walk-through. The only time I had a later dispute from the walk-through was when the landlord had some shelves in the apartment. They were in such bad quality they were useless He charged us a high deposit (a big warning sign). We through the shelves away. When we moved out, the landlord insisted that the shelves were valuable, and said that since we had thrown them away, he was keeping our deposit. We had no video or photos of the shelves, so it would have been our word against his. There's actually a way to secure the deposit. You and the landlord can open a bank account specifically for the deposit. Then you deposit the money. You can take it out of the account, I believe it's three or six months after the contract terminates, which gives the landlord time to show the bank any court action they might have filed to keep the deposit. It's an alternative to giving a cash deposit to the landlord and then depending on then to return it. For more specific questions about that, you would need to talk to somebody at a bank. Understand I'm not a lawyer and am not qualified to give legal advice. I can only tell you what I've learned from my own education and experience.
  13. It would definitely be worth asking the UK tax office about this. No doubt they've had many Brits working in Turkey in the same situation. Certainly return to this topic if we can be of any help. Also I hope you'll update us on what you learn. It will especially help me when we have another person in the same situation.
  • Create New...